My First " My Experience " Post On Equinox E600

Tiftaaft

Great write-up thank you for your clarity. One thing I would underline is that nickels really can be tricky in the 12-13-14 area. This is where the listening part becomes critical. I have also found a relatively high ratio of nickels but would not have half of them if I had not decided that the tone characteristics made it worth digging even if it wasn't a solid 13 on the meter.

I was thinking of putting up a "for sake of argument" type post regarding your statement that the 600 has "100% of the detecting power" of the 800, and it wasn't  about whether one considers 800's "Gold Mode" a feature or a performance (i.e., detecting power) enhancer vs. the 600.  No, my argument was going to be about recovery speed and the slower maximum recovery speed associated with the 600.  But after rereading your entire post including your excellent discussion of the numerous examples of how you used the 600 to pluck potentially masked or obscured keeper targets from the trash, I have to conclude that for the vast majority of users, the recovery speed of the 600 is good enough and have to agree in practice (if not in principle) with your "100% of the performance" statement regarding the 600.  In other words, I have come to the conclusion that it is not really productive or useful to split hairs when it comes to debating performance differences between the 600 and 800.  Feature differences, sure, those should be highlighted because they matter and should be considered as part of the informed buyer's personal decision making process.  But the performance delta between the two machines on the modes common between the two detectors is hardly worth mentioning. IMO.

Great comments Chase, you said it much better than I did.  Of couse my intent was to draw "detecting power" comparisons between the common features between the 600 and 800.  And it is those enhancements in features that work to justify the additional cost of the 800, and those features do set it apart from the 600.  As you outlined above, my "100% of the power" statement was to say where parallel settings can be drawn between the two machines, the performance differences are non-existent.  

That being said, one of the things I am most excited about when receiving the E800 is bumping the recovery up to 7 or 8, which in certain locations could be a significant advantage over the 600 from what I can tell from your and other's tests and hunts.  I also agree that anyone considering either machine should go in with eyes wide open, and consider what the differences are while making an informed decision.  My comment, which mirrors yours, is that for most users, choosing the 600 over the 800 isn't settling in my opinion.    :)  

Great report Tim!  I’m really glad to see your liking the Equinox as an experienced FBS user..  It’s definitely different from FBS and I can see where some might not take to the Equinox just because it’s a totally different feel.. Each time out I get better with it and am just amazed at some of my finds amongst the iron.. I’m not sure if it the speed, cleaner tones or both but I can pull coins next to iron so much easier with the Nox..  Haven’t missed my E-Trac yet..

Looking forward to hearing about your future hunts..

Bryan

Lunch time hunt today - 30 minutes swing time.  1920's park I have detected at least 25 times (because it is close to work and I can get there and back within a lunch hour).  Park 1, Two tone w/break at 19, Recovery 3 (6 on E800), Iron Bias 0.  I would call this an iffy signal for the Equinox.. bouncing 25-30 on the id, repeatable but maybe 3/4 or 3/5 passes.  Pinpointed to the exact center of the hole, target was on the side of the hole where the carrot is - it looked to be on edge.  Hard to tell from the pic, but from the top of the ground to the target... 7.5"   '37 Merc.  Refilled the hole, got another high tone 24-26.. pulled a wheat (not pictured) from the bottom of the hole, opposite from the Merc.  Also pulled a few 5-6" copper memorials from the same area.   Tim.

20180314_124658-747x1328.jpg

VERY nice, Tim.  EXCELLENT write-up, and I love the Merc pulled today on a short "lunchtime" hunt!

You are doing very well, indeed!  SUPER!

Steve

17 hours ago, steveg said:

VERY nice, Tim.  EXCELLENT write-up, and I love the Merc pulled today on a short "lunchtime" hunt!

You are doing very well, indeed!  SUPER!

Steve

Thanks Steve,  Some days, I can only get out 30-60 minutes due to work and family obligations, but I hear the Equinox calling out to me from my car everyday now.  haha.  I am fortunate to have a couple of old locations near to my office.  :)