Its On Its Way And First Site I Am Going To Hit!

Vez

A little background on the site:

I had been driving by this old house for years and saw someone working in the garden one day and it turned out that he was the great grandson of the person who built the homestead in 1840 and he himself had been born there in the 1940s.  He gave me a wonderful first hand history of the farm and told me of the journals that his grandfather kept and that he still owned.  Turned out that they used to build longboats for the canals on the farm.  A friend and I had hunted the site several times without much success until we found "the hotspot".  He had a T2 and I had an Etrac, and we just started finding all kinds of buttons.  Over the last 4 years of I have been using the CTX to track the progress I have made at the site of any button or coin I have found there.  I am going to go to this site first with the 800 because it takes hours to find anything non-ferrous here anymore.  Some 30+ buttons, 6 largies, a flying eagle, and a union army navy 1864 token have come out of here between my friend and I.  We feel confident that we are missing some small silver and from all the videos I am seeing, it seems like people are doing amazing in places they have pounded with other machines.  For all these reasons, that is why I want to hunt here first. 

I do have a question for you all though:  I really like tracking progress with the CTX, does anyone know of something comparable on my phone that I could use?  Is it trust worthy (wont share geo location meta-data)?  

Thanks for your time!

Here is a picture of my progress at the site with just the CTX

image.png.127d3c463ba6d6c33a8a6d67221cdec4.png

Wow! That’s a lot of walking. The pic is very interesting. Seems like you have an awesome site to hunt. I’m no help on the gps tracking software or app though. 

Best of luck!

I haven't used it, but there's a smartphone app called Tect O Trak you could check out.  It's too bad they don't offer a trial version,  it's $9.99.

The challenge with GPS smartphone apps is they really kill your battery.

If you try it, post a review here, would be great to know how it works out.

PS - Tect O Trak has a Facebook page you could check out to decide if you want to part with ten bucks to try it out.

I use Tect o Trak and it is pretty good.  You can document finds including snapshots, track your progress through the site, set up site boundaries so it stops recording once you go outside the boundaries (good if you forget to turn tracking off when you leave the site).  Works best with a companion app called GPS Locker which gives you more accurate tracks.  Haven't really noticed that it burns up the battery that much.  When I get a chance will post a sample plot I took of a recent hunt. 

I honestly wish ML would come out with a companion app like they have for the GO FIND series.  Perhaps a future feature.

The other app I use is ONX hunts.  You a can also track your progress with it including marking finds on a map.  A paid feature of the app that you can get property lines and tax record information for private and public properties in all 50 states plus a lot of hunter oriented maps.  It is expensive for the 50 state subscription, but the app is well laid out and I use it for secondary tracking and for identifying contact information for prospective permissions.

'HTH.

I think i may pull the trigger on tect o trak.  It is showing for 3.49 in app store atm.  Thank you all for your input.

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I use Tect o Trak and it is pretty good.  You can document finds including snapshots, track your progress through the site, set up site boundaries so it stops recording once you go outside the boundaries (good if you forget to turn tracking off when you leave the site).  Works best with a companion app called GPS Locker which gives you more accurate tracks.  Haven't really noticed that it burns up the battery that much.  When I get a chance will post a sample plot I took of a recent hunt. 

I honestly wish ML would come out with a companion app like they have for the GO FIND series.  Perhaps a future feature.

The other app I use is ONX hunts.  You a can also track your progress with it including marking finds on a map.  A paid feature of the app that you can get property lines and tax record information for private and public properties in all 50 states plus a lot of hunter oriented maps.  It is expensive for the 50 state subscription, but the app is well laid out and I use it for secondary tracking and for identifying contact information for prospective permissions.

'HTH.

Perhaps it's only Waze that eats up my battery.  I noticed that when my iPhone is plugged in, it actually discharges faster than it charges when I'm using Waze.   

6 hours ago, Vez said:

I think i may pull the trigger on tect o trak.  It is showing for 3.49 in app store atm.  Thank you all for your input.

Is that for android os? 

I just checked the apple app store and it's $9.99....for $3.49 I'd d/l it in a heartbeat, but for ten bucks I'd like to try it first.....hmm.

18 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Is that for android os? 

I just checked the apple app store and it's $9.99....for $3.49 I'd d/l it in a heartbeat, but for ten bucks I'd like to try it first.....hmm.

Yes android.

I too was using the android version.  Little background, the developer did not write the code but farmed it out to a software guy to create the app to the developer's specifications.  One of those was that it should be a native android app.  It took a long time to port it to iOS and the developer may have had to pay extra for the effort so that may explain the difference in price.