Buffalo In The Local Park

There is an old park near my home, one I've hunted fairly often not that I've found much of interest beyond the usual junk jewelry and clad, but the area is rich in history, so I'm always hopeful. Sadly most of the old park is gone to new grass, play areas and everything else park like is new'ish, still the park is dear to my heart with fond memories there as a toddler watching my dad play music on stage there, towards the end of his music career on one holiday, the old grandstand long gone. There is one area above the developed park that looks like fairly virgin ground, a little section kept to wilderness and loaded with trash old and new, more on the old side but still plenty of non ferrous. It's an overwhelmingly difficult area to isolate a signal and when I go in there I usually don't last very long before finding myself back into the manicured lawn. With the new hunting season on us and plans for the high country in the works I've taken to punishing my self in this undeveloped part of the park testing different settings on the deus 9"hf coil, with the exception of milder soil than up north making things a bit easier, I'm thinking this should be good practice for my ear for the iron infested gold field areas. I took a couple of pictures in my hunt area, the city crews cut the grass in a few spots and the poison oak's not out much yet so hunting is not to bad in those places. The other two pictures other than the coins show some old stone steps running up the hill in one picture and the other shows what looks to me like the foundation from an old stone fire place and some of the building foundation stones. I found the handle from an old cooking pot not far from the fireplace stones, the coins came from different spots between the fireplace stones and stone step, all targets around 4" or so deep. Hunted an hour today and all I could find were pieces of old aluminum, rusted bottle caps (I knew, but checked due to the iron trash) some clad and a house key also a bit of melted lead, junk...but still targets. I really think this spot has something if I can find the willpower to stick it out??. The buffalo didn't see much circulation before someone dropped it and is fairly decent if not for the heavy corrosion from being buried for so long, my scrubbing didn't help the coin any, but I don't think when they are corroded that much that it really matters, so I scrubbed the heck out of it so I could enjoy my find. So, buffalo, couple of wheats... must be something else???

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

That Buffalo is in great shape. Congrats Art

Congratulations! Super find with a readable date. ?

Clark- thats a nice Buff...they don't come that easy here in Calif..Thats a nice looking spot you got there... I can see why you are fond of it regarding the history of your Dad and all.  Give me a call when you can...I've not been hunting much in the last week  (re-doing my work benches in my shop) Maybe we can hook up for a hunt soon.

strick

Norm, Terry, Jack and Chuck...thanks boys. I was happy seeing it pop out of the hole best one I've ever found, hummm? Only one I've ever found, so another bucket lister checked off in the books. Been back a couple of times and only finding tons of rusted bottle caps,  nails (old rusted round) pull tabs, rolled up old lead tooth paste tube and other trash.  I think I'm almost at my limit here for a few days?.

Chuck, I'm looking forward to seeing the craftsmanship on those work benches your woodwork is amazing, I'll,bet the shop looks pretty nice. Definitely time for a hunt break, well anytime is good for a hunt I'd guess? Heading to forrest hill for a day next month and then 3 days up at Bassett's, I'll give you a call. Clark

• 2 weeks later...

We have slopes like that in the older L.A. parks and I've taken some of my oldest coins from them. I pretty much avoid them now due to the tendonitis I'm suffering from from all the up & down and down & up with a heavy machine. I love those slopes though.