Impulse AQ Coil Connector False Signals

5 hours ago, Jim in ma said:

I had the same with my Infinium.

There is a wire that is connected the connector to the mother board, Ground ?  cut it , problem solved.

Yes, you can do that to solve this problem but you then generate a sensitivity to external EMI for the whole system.

• Like 4

Feel free to laugh of my try to find a solution 🤣as it might sound crazy or at least stupid...

Can't be possible to create an outside connector shielding sock with a 3m shield tape? Something like a cable/connector glove to avoid direct saltwater contact with the area? Is it something to be necessarily fully waterproof?

1 minute ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Feel free to laugh of my try to find a solution 🤣as it might sound crazy or at least stupid...

Can't be possible to create an outside connector shielding sock with a 3m shield tape? Something like a cable/connector glove to avoid direct saltwater contact with the area? Is it something to be necessarily fully waterproof?

Nothing to laugh at. This is the way to make good  brainstorming.

In order for that to be effective, it would need to be electrically connected to the shield of the cable AND be protected from the sea water contact. Difficult to implement and ugly-looking.😢

If you do not mind the consequences of the electrolysis on a metallic connector, you could use one to replace the plastic-based but Quid of the Warranty?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Willy said:

the consequences of the electrolysis on a metallic connector

I perfectly remember this thing on the Excalibur battery connector, never been a big problem with some good gel grease ...Now...Using a metallic connector installed from the source (FT plant), I think the connector electrolysis phenomenon can be on the outer part of it right ?

So I see a temporary solution : heat shrink tubing right around the end of cable and connector...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skullgolddiver said:

I perfectly remember this thing on the Excalibur battery connector, never been a big problem with some good gel grease ...Now...Using a metallic connector installed from the source (FT plant), I think the connector electrolysis phenomenon can be on the outer part of it right ?

So I see a temporary solution : heat shrink tubing right around the end of cable and connector...

Yes, it stays outside of the connector but that was deemed to be unbearable by the reports of early testers. The change of connector resulted in it sensitivity to local capacitance variations. (You can't have your cake and eat it )

There was even an electrolysis effect on the surface of the metallic upper shaft with a nasty looking result. This was also replaced by the current plastic-made upper shaft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Willy said:

The change of connector resulted in it sensitivity to local capacitance variations

Well...I have reached my knowledge limit in this specific field...

Considering that I hunt at a medium to modest high water depth, I'm prepared to live with the machine fully under the surface however...

I'm waiting like a child under Christmas tree for this...

Thanks for your technical explanations!

• Like 2

Willy.. Thanks for all the information. It sure helps a lot of us with inquiring minds!

7 hours ago, Willy said:

It was for that reason that the coil connector was initially made of metal in order to keep the continuity of the cable shielding up to the inside of the enclosure. (Same supplier, other item)

Field tests in the sea water had shown a bad electrolysis effect on its body giving it a nasty look.

A plastic connector had to be used for the AQ.

The GOLD version will even require more attention to this capacitance effect as it will have a much  shorter pulse delay, it will get an (expensive) stainless steel connector to keep a perfect shielding.

Having read the whole thread, I'll go back to the part quoted. How much more are the expensive stainless steel connectors? I'd think that I'd pay more for a version that would keep the continuity of the shielding, maybe not $1,000 more but certainly $100 more. And if that would mean that it needs to be coated in silicon grease to keep it looking nice, that is OK too.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The only way to really eliminate the problem is to hard wire the coil, which is another reason for why this option is chosen by so many manufacturers of underwater metal detectors. The White's TDI Beachhunter is a good example.

As I sit here on the sidelines, it's easy to toss ideas out there which have likely already been considered and rejected, but...

Would a hardwired version (even option of coil choice) be too much of a manufacturing headache (or cost) to be implemented?  I seem to recall Fisher doing just that -- selling a detector for which you had the choice of hardwired coils.  (Steve, I'm recalling a spreadsheet table you posted of what I think were water hunting detectors and their features.  I can't seem to find it by searching.) 

Those who want swappable coils would have to put up with the capacitative coupling noise.  So I guess I'm suggesting more than just two versions.  All this optionality assumes there will be coil choices once the AQ gets past the current stage.

And of course there's always the portability issue of a hardwired coil, although that concern usually is dominated by the shaft and there's no reason (at least that I can see, other than possibly cost) of requiring the shaft, cuff, etc. not be completely removable, just leaving the coil (via cable) attached to the control unit.

Oh, that's right.  Steve, I just read a post where you said the manufacturers ignore 90% of your suggestions.  Imagine how high that number gets when those suggestions come from mere pawns....

Maybe the answer is that there are already workarounds as have been discussed here.  That costs nothing more than operator time (and possibly a bit of annoyance).

waterproof-pulse-induction-pi-metal-detector-comparison-chart-2020.jpg