2 Beach Hunts With GPX And AQ

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

When you know a beach well you know it and you don't want to waste even an hour or two on getting another one to produce but this is exactly what you have to do sometimes.

Yep. I keep going back to the beach where I found that Cartier bracelet but that is the last piece of gold that I've found and that was 2 months ago now.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I'm guilty of this also when I go back to my 'best beach' first.  The truth is when things are good at that beach they could be as good or better at other beaches but I sometimes don't know.  We just have to go with our instincts.  Sometimes they are wrong.

A few months back I hit my favorite beach and it was $$.  I was the only one one night $$$!  The next night there was one other $.  The third night I decided to go to another beach with 'similar' position on the coast but 30 miles away.  It was a bust and I hit my best beach again about 3 hours after I should have been there.  When I did get there a 'squadron' of lights was all over the beach.  There was a group of at least 4 (high, low, middle, blanket).  I didn't want to join in the fun so I left.

Was it an opportunity missed?

We just have to do the best we can.

Later I found out where I went to the far away beach someone had a killer night but they know their 'best beach' too!

• Like 4

Another great hunt for you, when can we expect the next one with a little more gold.

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bklein said:

Did you try several coils on the GPX at the beach?  Curious which you liked best - mono or DD.

I got a BeachHog from Rick and its really nice on my GP Extreme.  Great coverage and as deep as you care to dig.  Great to pinpoint the target too.

I have tried a lot of coils, almost always DD coils.  I'm too stubborn to try various settings to get the mono coils to work better for me. Plus I only have Minelab mono coils and I find that Detech coils work better. I have a lot of EMI and a decent amount of black sand, and DD works so I stick with it. Plus time is limited, so trying out different options is limited to bad low tide days. Pin pointing with the 5000 is a breeze. It's not the best strategy, but it works for me.

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'm guilty of this also when I go back to my 'best beach' first.  The truth is when things are good at that beach they could be as good or better at other beaches but I sometimes don't know.  We just have to go with our instincts.  Sometimes they are wrong.

A few months back I hit my favorite beach and it was $$.  I was the only one one night $$$!  The next night there was one other $.  The third night I decided to go to another beach with 'similar' position on the coast but 30 miles away.  It was a bust and I hit my best beach again about 3 hours after I should have been there.  When I did get there a 'squadron' of lights was all over the beach.  There was a group of at least 4 (high, low, middle, blanket).  I didn't want to join in the fun so I left.

We just have to do the best we can.

Later I found out where I went to the far away beach someone had a killer night but they know their 'best beach' too!

Same here, Second guessing myself has not worked well for me. I always tell myself I am there to get some much needed exercise and the finds are a bonus. I stick with what works 😄 But what really surprises me is the fact that my favorite beach can be hit by so many people over the years and is not even close to being cleaned out. It really shows me the complexity of how beaches work and evolve and how they can hide targets so well.

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Another great hunt for you, when can we expect the next one with a little more gold.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Gold?  I wish!!!! It's funny how gold works sometimes. There are times I can't find gold no matter what I do or how hard I try. Then on other days, I can hit 2 or 3 gold without effort.

2 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

Amazing always carry a few digging tools while exploring.........

RR

I just started bringing a flat head screwdriver to loosen the bigger rocks so that the spade can remove the sand/rock mix faster. Amazing how just a couple of jabs with the screwdriver loosens up the mix enough to make it much easier to dig. I'm all about speed and efficiency when I have a limited of time to detect.

• Like 2

"I'm guilty of this also when I go back to my 'best beach' first.  The truth is when things are good at that beach they could be as good or better at other beaches but I sometimes don't know.  We just have to go with our instincts.  Sometimes they are wrong.

We just have to do the best we can."

The choices we make when metal detecting are one of the biggest factors determining success and failure. Last year it seemed that I could do no wrong and, more often than not, wound up at the right place at the right time. This year it's been more of a challenge, so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well ... maybe Seeker has already been there!  haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Well ... maybe Seeker has already been there!  haha

I haven’t been south of Hermosa since September of last year unfortunately, so it wasn’t me, this time 😇. I did venture north of Malibu but only swung for an hour so I don’t find anything.

Congrats on the finds and gold schoolofhardNox. 

• Like 1

Compass and I are somewhere between those spots.  haha

• Like 1