Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

I may do a buy and try at least. I have decided to sell my V3i as it is overkill for what I use it for, which is just a box to drive my Bigfoot coil. Will probably just replace with a DFX again that stays permanently attached to the Bigfoot. That will free up some funds that may go to an MX Sport when it becomes available. Then if I can get an adapter for the MX Sport that will allow me to put my Bigfoot on it, and if the Bigfoot does work on it, the DFX may go later. 

whites-mx-sport-waterproof-metal-detector-2016.jpg

Well, Big Boys Hobbies put a page up which was promptly taken down, showing a price of $1349

$1349 matches earlier rumors, but I must put in a standard warning this could be wrong until we get better confirmation. The $1349 I assume is MSRP and so if subject to White's standard 15% discounting you would be looking at about $1146 out the door. Does not surprise me if so, but lots of people will squawk if it is true.

It is possible that since Bart copied my website he also just plugged the $1349 rumor in as a working price. I get it, he is just getting something up and ready to go and will tweak it up when he has better info. White's just put a teaser video up implying it will be less. So at this point I still just consider this pure rumor price until I can find a dealer leak, which as Bob notes will happen very soon. These dealers can't keep a secret to save their lives!

That all said I am still hopeful out the door will be under $1K and for that to happen it would need an MSRP of $1169 or less.

Other rumor flying I am hoping is true - that a cable adapter will be available to let existing Eclipse coils work with the MX Sport above water. The problem there is normal Eclipse MXT type coils are 5 pin coils, and the MX Sport is running 8 pins with 8 wires attached. Why? It may be White's is going to smart coil technology, where the detector reads the coil attached and adjusts parameters accordingly, like depth indications. If so older coils may not work, or it may be they will but will lose some of that possible smart functionality. Still hoping I can run my Bigfoot on this baby so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Hi all. I just confirmed we can release the price of the MX Sport. It is less then the rumor of $1349 and it is less then $999. So Steve you should "be OK with that".  :-)

MSRP $799.95. The release date is still unknown to dealers.

• Like 2

Sorry still sworn to secrecy regarding "possibly others in the works".

Yes I am looking forward to the release as well.

It is never a secret that manufacturers are working on stuff. Much as I love the old metal boxes time to retire them and move on. Gotta lower that manufacturing cost and spread the cost of that new housing out among as many models as possible, get the volume up, etc. There has to be a multi-frequency model in the works and possibly the new tech unit if they can work the bugs out of it.

Steve,

Remember when I asked you last year to give your opinions on what Whites could do to revive the line?  I asked several other prominent detectorists for the same thing.  I then took those suggestions directly to the head people.  They may not implement everything, but they listened and acknowledged the needs.  We may not get everything we want all at once, and some not at all, but they know now.

The people out in the field have spoken, and not just the nugget hunters.  This machine is just the first, well actually the third, in a long line of upcoming innovations that will, hopefully, redefine the market and increase our finds.

Stay tuned, there is a lot more to come!

Digger Bob

• Like 1

Excellent to hear Bob. I have to admit I was getting really worried about White's. They were always an industry leader but they just seemed to lose their way for a few years. Mostly just holding on too hard to days gone by. Now if they can just clean up their convoluted company politics - good luck with that! But maybe there is hope with the new management. Guess I will have to stop by and say hi and introduce myself to the new folks.

White's MX Sport Product Details Page