First Impressions Of The Deus II

My hearing is simply too bad.. I have to wear them on the ears with the volume cranked right up.. and there's no vibrations, on the cheek bone or anywhere else.. maybe mine are a dud, or when you get yours you can tell me if you've noticed the same thing or not.. 

42 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So when the bone phones are selected as the audio output choice on the display, all subsequent program choices whether beach programs or turf programs will automatically switch to square audio?

that's what I'm finding.. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, Erik Oostra said:

My hearing is simply too bad.. I have to wear them on the ears with the volume cranked right up.. and there's no vibrations, on the cheek bone or anywhere else.. maybe mine are a dud, or when you get yours you can tell me if you've noticed the same thing or not.. 

So you adjusted the equalizer to emphasize the low freqs as recommended and it didn't help.  That's disappointing.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:11 PM, Chase Goldman said:

So you adjusted the equalizer to emphasize the low freqs as recommended and it didn't help.

Yes! that's what I meant by 'I'm trying the lowest tone possible'.. I realise I should have said 'adjusting the audio frequencies downward to 100 or 300 Hz'.. maybe my explanations are getting lost in translation somehow..

This was the first thing I was interested in with the bone-phones, that little inset note at the center of the page caught my attention when I read the manual.. My hearing loss (hereditary) is bad in the mid to high tone range, that's why I love them low tones! Not only do they make things vibrate, I can also hear them.. When I detect I wear only one hearing aid, the one on the right closest to the speaker.. this cuts out most sound on my left.. For me, this works..

I also greatly dislike wired headphones or any other headphone on my head.. I can hear the speaker within my own little sound bubble, concentrating on what the detector is telling me without any outside noise.. 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 10:46 PM, Erik Oostra said:

yes! that's what I meant by 'I'm trying the lowest tone' possible.. I realise I should have said 'adjusting the audio frequencies downward to 100 or 300 Hz'.. maybe my explanations are getting lost in translation somehow..

This was the first thing I was interested in with the bone-phones, that little inset note at the center of the page caught my attention the first time I read the manual.. My hearing loss (hereditary) is bad in the mid to high tones, that's why I love them low tones! Not only do they make things vibrate, I can also hear them.. When I detect I wear only one hearing aid, the one on the right closest to the speaker.. this cuts out most sound on my left.. For me, this works..

I also greatly dislike wired headphones or any headphone on my head.. I can hear the speaker within my own little sound bubble, concentrating on what the detector is telling me without any outside noise.. 

You must be disappointed since you primarily got it for underwater use as you have determined it has no performance benefit vs. your Equinox on the beach but dealing with all the antenna wires and cheap quality bone phones and and it's subpar cables seems a chore.   Doesn't engender a lot of confidence in the product and speaking for myself, it's kind of a downer because we had high hopes for it.  Perhaps the D2 IS going to be a high priced flop as more folks get one in their hands and experience it for themselves, who knows.  But as far as you are concerned, Erik, I am surprised you are still powering through with it based on all your griping about build quality, snagging cables, and poor audio.  I am sorry it has not been a good overall experience considering the high cost of the unit.  At some point you might want to consider cutting your losses if the bone phones don't work out.  No shame in that as even popular detectors are not everyone's cup of tea.  As it is in high demand, you will likely be able to recoup your investment.  Hoping it still works out for you though.  Good luck and hang in there.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:23 PM, Chase Goldman said:

you have determined it has no performance benefit vs. your Equinox on the beach but dealing with all the antenna wires and cheap quality bone phones and and it's subpar cables seems a chore.

Spot on Chase! although I would have said 'bullshit' instead of 'a chore'..

Doesn't engender a lot of confidence in the product and speaking for myself, it's kind of a downer because we had high hopes for it.

Spot on again Chase!  I also had high hopes for the Deus II.. be prepared for bitter disappointment, especially compared to the Equinox..

At some point you might want to consider cutting your losses if the bone phones don't work out.  No shame in that as even popular detectors are not everyone's cup of tea. 

Thanks for your great advice Chase, but as I said a million times 'I can hear the bone-phones'.. on my ears with the volume cranked up high.. All sweet! just what I needed.. now I can hear the Deus II.. it might not be how you'd use them underwater, but it works for me.. Have you ever taken your Deus for a dive? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I spend a lot of time simply using detectors for the sheer enjoyment of it, noodling through a park for instance, and just digging all manner of stuff. Most of it worthless. But what of it? I’m not doing this to get rich, but to enjoy myself, and I do. I’d observe that many who do not last at this hobby, are not in it for fun, but for money.

15 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The above pretty much sums up my hobby detecting philosophy.  It's a hobby, it's therapy; it's adventure; it's meeting new people; it's busting my detecting buddies' chops; it's going to new places and seeing new sights; it's touching history; it's touching treasure; it's getting out of the house and getting fresh air; it's getting exercise; it's getting tick bites, poison ivy, twisted ankles, sore muscles, heat exhaustion, dehydration, hypothermia and sunburn; it's getting your truck stuck in the middle of nowhere; it's pushing yourself just beyond your limits; it's getting frustrated; it's doing a happy dance with no one else around; it's nerding out on gadgets and technology; it's learning how to use a map and historical records to do research; it's learning how to read the land and human nature for clues.

As a newbie to the game, I couldn't agree more! Not a day passes that I'm not on some beach or underwater with a metal detector in my hand.. Or the rare days that I can't go out are spend trying to work out where the good stuff is hidden.. For me, it's the sheer enjoyment of it all.. Despite any aches and pains, nothing beats the thrill of the hunt.. Those who have seen my videos on this thread (page 18) will understand the kind of hunting I enjoy most.. People get surprised to learn I get up at low-tide, even from 1:30 am to 3:30 am during different times of the month.. They don't understand the sheer enjoyment of finding a target in moving water with a head-lamp.. 😃 It's a rare thing to find such a great bunch of like-minded people.. So, happy hunting to everyone!   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

People get surprised to learn I get up at low-tide, even from 1:30 am to 3:30 am during different times of the month.. They don't understand the sheer enjoyment of finding a target in moving water with a head-lamp.. 

This makes me want to go diving again.

Erik, reading from a distance (literally thousands of miles 😁, but I mean figuratively), I see three possibilities:

1) you have a lemon set of bone phones;

2) regardless of the cause (e.g. your innocense 😉), you aren't configuring your setup as intended by XP;

3) these headphones don't work for someone with your hearing loss condition.

My brother was born deaf.  He could feel low frequency (sub-audio) vibrations, but that was the extent of it.  To get his attention we would stomp a foot on a wooden floor.  I don't ever remember him being able to use any electronic device to facilitate hearing.  I recall when cochlear implants became available.  He wasn't a candidate due to the fact that his particular situation couldn't be helped by it.  I only bring this up because of the possibility that your condition is outside the realm of being accomodated by these bone phones.  What I've related is my limited extent of knowledge and may not even be relevant for you.  I hope you find a way of getting them to work for you.

• Thanks 1

Now that explains why you're up at some odd hours Erik, I'm an early bird and most days stumble out of bed quite early, and even though in summer NZ is 3 hours ahead of Magnetic Island you're often active on the forum at that time and I wondered why.  I guess you're getting ready to hit the water with your detector. 

I understand your frustration too, you're an owner and user of a detector and using it for it's intended purpose and showing what you like and don't like about it, yet someone who doesn't own it and has never used it keeps questioning and attempting to correct your views, I can see how that would drive you mad.  If you're concerned about something that you think XP can fix,  just contact them yourself which is what I'd do..  I will say I find your views bring a balance to the excitement of a release, slowly more information is trickling out by other owners and a bigger picture is forming. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1