" Treasure " In My Back Yard!

Wheat pennies were pretty common in pocket change during the '80s/'90s. Unlike silver, they weren't plucked out of circulation. Unless they are pre WWII, I don't necessarily consider them to be an indication that there may be silver in the vicinity.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

Wheat pennies were pretty common in pocket change during the '80s/'90s.

Not from my childhood days. I always looked at coins growing up (in the 80s and 90s) and I found a wheat "in the wild" just once. Also found a silver coin (quarter) just once, too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GnshpCSO said:

My house was built in 1994 on land that has no history of others living here in the past. So my finds in my yard have all been modern from previous owners of my home. It sure must be cool to live on a historical piece of property and be able to pull old coins and relics out of your own yards. I’ve been looking for an older property at an affordable price around here, but the term affordable isn’t applicable to anything in my area. 😑

I tell ya there's nothing like it. My area was settled from Maryland in the 1630s by people escaping Lord Baltimore, but my house was built in 2008. I started by finding colonial buttons in my backyard. Went out into the fields in front of my house and dug old Spanish pistareens, shoe buckles, jewelry, and Reales. It's been a wild ride so far as I'm expanding my permissions from local farms. People are generous here, I've never been refused. As you know it's out there, you just have to get your coil on it. 🙂 Takes some finesse with the locals.

• Like 3

Just now, F350Platinum said:

Cleared duplicate post.

• The title was changed to " Treasure " In My Back Yard!
5 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Not from my childhood days. I always looked at coins growing up (in the 80s and 90s) and I found a wheat "in the wild" just once. Also found a silver coin (quarter) just once, too.

I'm sure it varies in different regions. I noticed wheats in my pocket change right up until I got my first credit card and stopped carrying coins around 2005. It was such a common occurrence, I never thought twice about it.

When I started detecting in '96, I found freshly dropped wheats in my beach coinage fairly regularly and occasionally a fresh dropped silver but those were very rare. Around 1999, I remember finding a shiny fresh dropped Mercury in the dry sand.

When I worked in a retail store in 1980, they were finding silver in the cash drawer on an almost daily basis. Unfortunately, I wasn't the cashier.

• Like 2

Maybe your penny spill was actually some kid’s buried treasure.

When they were little, my mother used to give her grandchildren one Sacajawea dollar coin for each year on their birthdays. Two of my nephews didn’t understand they were real money. They played pirate with them, burying them in the backyard.

• Haha 1

There were some old army barracks nearby in the forty's! And before that it was a cow pasture!👍👍

14 hours ago, GnshpCSO said:

My house was built in 1994 on land that has no history of others living here in the past. So my finds in my yard have all been modern from previous owners of my home. It sure must be cool to live on a historical piece of property and be able to pull old coins and relics out of your own yards. I’ve been looking for an older property at an affordable price around here, but the term affordable isn’t applicable to anything in my area. 😑

Don't count your yard as not having anything. Do some research and see what was there before. Also many houses have old dirt trucked in. Items might be sparce and scattered but you never know until you swing your coil over it.

• Like 2