Steve’s Detector Rods S Shaft - Nag And You Shall Receive!

nickelNdimed

4 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

How would that work, exactly?

Steve said he could look into making me a 3 piece shaft by adding another connection closer to the coil end of the S.  So essentially you would have an upper, middle, and lower. But after discussing with him I felt it would add complexity and weight on the wrong end. 

If I wanted it more compactness I can always revert back to my stock shaft for travel. My other thought was that my travel scoop will only go so compact so there would always be some limiting factor into how compact I could go. 

• Like 2

nickeldNdimed -- 

LOL!  I love the title of your thread!  Made me laugh, LOL!  

Seriously, though, THANKS for posting your thoughts, and I'm glad you are pleased with it.  To answer a few questions that have come up...

Yes, the reason for the handle attachment position being where it's at, is as he said -- too much closer, and it would interfere with connecting the coil cable to the back of the control box (not an ideal positioning/orientation of the coil connection, when an S-shaft is part of the equation).

Yes, there's only 1 hole for control box/handle attachment position, but I CAN customize, as nickeld said, so if you'd like a second hole, no problem.

Yes, I could build a custom 3-piece S-shaft; it would involve a cam lock up there not too far from the S-handle, and then a middle and lower shaft as nickeld noted.  Think Garrett shaft -- their stock S-shaft is a three-piece, and it would be similar on mine.

Finally, I appreciate the interest, and I'm happy to have finally been able to "meet the needs" or at least "the desires" of some folks who really wanted to try an S-shaft for the EQX.

I will be offering these for general sale soon -- probably a couple of weeks.  I'm working on getting my field testers set up with theirs first, and I'm going on a vacation next week.  But, as soon as I finish the ones promised to my testers, I'll start offering them to anyone else who is interested...

Thanks all!

Steve

• Like 5

I wanted to add these pics just to show the difference in position of my arm and angle of elbow joint (wish I had taken without jacket) with my feet and coil at same position.  This is what I noticed with my Vanquish that I did not have to stick out the lower as much for same placement due to the offset. My issue is pain above elbow and shoulder joint and never noticed with the Vanquish. I hope to try my new Equinox setup for longer hunts soon. Waiting for some warmer weather....

8D00AE91-8B3B-452B-AE63-9833C9C10A0B.jpeg

64265A54-5C70-4979-85CB-11D02CB2E2A6.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Will there be an all black option? The red looks nice too though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

The prototype was all black!  That is standard. I just wanted to add a little color to it for fun and so that people are less likely to think I’m walking to park holding an all black assault rifle...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Yes sir; as others have said, black will be available...

Thanks!

Steve

1 hour ago, brys said:

weight all in?

The prototype S-Shaft weighs 8.5 ounces ( 240g) without control pod, cuff, and coil, and with the pod, cuff, and 11 inch coil mounted weighs 2.8 pounds (1277g) total.

The ML shaft weighs 10 ounces (283.5g) without accessories, and with pod, cuff, and 11 inch coil mounted weighs 2.9 pounds (1320g).

So the S-Shaft saves about 1.5 ounces (42.5g) in weight. 

• Like 5