The Legend Wouldn't Hit A Gold Chain. Probably Preset Iron Bias.

just a small note ..., to the new video ... if you adjust the tone break to 9, then feel that the identification of this chain will also be on ID 9 .... ,, what is the ID in "iron zone / 1-10 ID / ..

...let's look at this particular situation in the new video....:wink:

... of course I can live with that ...., I do this adjustment of the tone break setting, for example, in Tek.G2 ../I adjust the disc to 33-37 even though the standard is on disc 40./..- for low conductors...

Technically, Jeremy didn't make a mistake in the first video either ... only during the test they use the pre-set values of the manufacturer's program ..... which were not optimally set for such low-conductivity targets .....

This only suggests why it is good to have control over the important settings in the detector. ....

• Like 2

Looks likes the testing of machines in this hobby has taken a turn for the worse. I took out an old Treasure Pro yesterday and found 2 silvers,  an old double edge razor and an earring. That was in High Trash the sensitivity set to ridiculous, and a dog barking in my ear all day. Nice to see so many people getting exercise jumping to conclusions. Looks like the manufacturer is going to pop an aneurysm.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 67GTA said:

Is there a mode where gold numbers don't bleed into the iron/nail range? For example, the competition's iron range is 0 to -9. Gold starts at 1. Nails come in around -5 to -8.

Air test and surface target testing are meaningless. We detect targets buried in the ground.

Gold in the ground overlaps the ferrous range, as ground iron mineralization pollutes and overrides the non-ferrous signal, flipping it to read ferrous. It applies not just to tiny gold, but any weak non-ferrous signal, so large gold nuggets, or even silver coins, right at the extreme limit of detectable depth. Anyone that nugget hunts regularly digs gold nuggets that read ferrous, and any claims for discrimination that say otherwise are misleading. Discrimination will cause non-ferrous targets to be missed if relied on too much, and the worse the ground, the higher the risk. That’s a fact, period, end of story, take it to the bank.

• Like 4

I also disagree that steel nails can be constrained to a tight range of dTID's on the ML Equinox.  Too many variables to make a blanket statement like that.  Besides ground mineralization, the orientation of a nail is a big factor, as is the degree of deterioration (from oxidation = rust), size of the nail, composition of the nail (i.e. grade of steel used in its manufacture), and size of the nail's head.  Throw in multiple targets (desired and trash) in the coil's view and the picture gets even more out-of-focus.

You both are correct. I made a blanket statement. The competition will call fringe depth targets iron, and sometimes high tone on nails. The problem for me  is that I have found thinner chains than was being missed here around 1 inch deep in average soil with the competition without having to adjust tone breaks. You are asking me to suspend belief and trust that the Legend will do the same with soil introduced into the equation when it isn't even able to hit it in open air? It feels like criticism of the Legend isn't allowed. I criticized the competition when it was released because it wouldn't hit a coin on edge. They admitted there was a problem and fixed it. The competition didn't make rebuttal videos when youtubers were showing this stuff happening. They were doing us all a service by bringing it to their attention. If this detector is calling that chain iron in open air, then you will never find it,  no matter the soil conditions, unless you hunt in all metal and dig every iron tone. Micro gold nuggets/jewelry and fringe depth targets affect all machines the same and IMOH isn't really relevant in this particular situation. I wouldn't be concerned if it was doing the exact same things as the competition.

I wasn't being fecitious with my question. I was curious if the new park 2 mode frequencies were weighted similar to the competition and hit better on smaller jewelry, or is this type of target just out of it's normal detection range. The competition really struggles with small jewelry in park 1.

In the UK I run machines critically close to iron because I am looking for ancient finds (particularly thin gold) in highly iron contaminated fields. These days a lot of detectors can be run in all metal and I rely on tones. I don't bother with meters/Vdi's because they are normally less reliable than audio. The Legend is probably a good machine in the hands of an experienced operator. My qualifications are 40+ years of detecting ancient arable land and I have finds in 2 British museums. Not showing off promise!!