Don’t Miss The Line That Says Do A Factory Reset

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Bill (Dirt Fishing YouTube) has deleted the video on 07/07/2022.

Just follow the clear instructions......and that includes me for sure since I haven't reset mine yet!!!!!

the factory reset is the first thing I did once I was able to get the new update installed it only took me 17 hours to get the new update to finally install on my two Legend and there is no rhyme or reason as to why it finally did install, I can tell you it was not user error

7 hours ago, DSMITH said:

the factory reset is the first thing I did once I was able to get the new update installed it only took me 17 hours to get the new update to finally install on my two Legend and there is no rhyme or reason as to why it finally did install, I can tell you it was not user error

Our last computer loaded both the updates on both our machines. The one I have now wouldn’t. I saw no valid port so many times I was.. lol, anyways took it to the guy I got it from and he installed a different driver for the USB ports and boom, loaded right up. My son when I told him I was having trouble did his at his house. Computers can be frustrating for sure. Sorry you had trouble, glad it’s installed. I thought I heard that “whew finally” all the way here in swmo. lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DSMITH said:

I actually bought a slightly used Dell Laptop thinking the problem was me or my computers.

I am a Mac person but I have a few "Dad I am getting a new laptop, you can have my old one" sitting in a closet Windows laptops that I kept for doing XP and Nokta Makro updates. I never could get my original Legend system box to update with those or with any of my very recently manufactured Macs.  Hours and hours and hours of trying so I can relate to your frustration DSMITH and anyone else that has this issue.

Nokta Makro sent me a replacement system box. It now updates on all of my computers the first time, no hassle.

Hopefully, Nokta Makro will release something about this other than user error or a hardware incompatablility.

In my opinion, they should have told the truth about this already even though it may cost them some $$$$s. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I actually bought a slightly used Dell Laptop thinking the problem was me or my computers.

I am a Mac person but I have a few "Dad I am getting a new laptop, you can have my old one" sitting in a closet Windows laptops that I kept for doing XP and Nokta Makro updates. I never could get my original Legend system box to update with those or with any of my very recently manufactured Macs.  Hours and hours and hours of trying so I can relate to your frustration DSMITH and anyone else that has this issue.

Nokta Makro sent me a replacement system box. It now updates on all of my computers the first time, no hassle.

Hopefully, Nokta Makro will release something about this other than user error or a hardware incompatablility.

In my opinion, they should have told the truth about this already even though it may cost them some $$$$s. 

Jeff I only wish the Techs at Nokta/Macro could have seen what my two Legends done when the update finally decided to install but all I can do is tell people what I seen so I will tell it the best I can

before I down loaded the new update from Nokta/Macro site I checked all firewalls and anti virus and shut them down I prompted my PC to only start these things back up when I re started my PC, I also checked to make sure my windows was up to date and all drivers for USB ports were up to date including the Sillab drivers this was all done prior to down loading the new 1.08, once I made sure everything was up to date and virus protection and firewalls were off I down loaded the 1.08 update, extracted the files and ran the set up the setup is where it installs the new updater tool to your desk top once the 1.08 was down loaded I restarted my PC while it restarted I connected the cable to my Legend and waited for my PC to finish rebooting, I also re checked and shut off firewalls and anti virus again since I had prompted it to restart upon a re start of my PC, once that was done I then connected my Legend to one of the USB ports held the up arrow until up was on the screen of my Legend clicked on updater tool and then the three little dots found the 1.08 bin file it sat there for a good 20 minuets this was the first attempt then all of a sudden the bin file cleared itself and a pop up opened that read USB device not recognized so I started over using a different USB port did the same thing and got the same message the particular PC I was attempting this on has 6 USB ports I tried all 6 and got the same result each time so I rechecked all things to make sure I did not miss anything, I did not the first attempts was on a desk top PC windows 10

I also attempted this on my Lap top which only has two USB ports windows 11 and a smaller windows 10 tablet plus a apple I pad, each and everyone of them did the same thing several time up through the 16th hour of attempts 

When the update finally went was in the 17th hour and what it did was strange I went back to the first computer I started out on attempting the update plugged the legend into the first USB port got the same message I had gotten for 16 hours previously so started the procedure over plugging into the second USB port and then it installed so I thought great I will just use that same USB port to update the second Legend but nope I got the same message USB device not recognized so I unplugged second legend cleared everything on PC screen shut Legend #2 down and re plugged into the USB port that would not work for the first Legend and Wallah it updated the second Legend so I would like an explanation from a Nokta/Macro Tech explaining how this was user ERROR,it is not and there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why if finally installed

I believe there is a glitch some where either in the Legend,the updater tool or something, I will say though it is extremely frustrating and needs to be looked at

17 hours ago, Tometusns said:

Our last computer loaded both the updates on both our machines. The one I have now wouldn’t. I saw no valid port so many times I was.. lol, anyways took it to the guy I got it from and he installed a different driver for the USB ports and boom, loaded right up. My son when I told him I was having trouble did his at his house. Computers can be frustrating for sure. Sorry you had trouble, glad it’s installed. I thought I heard that “whew finally” all the way here in swmo. lol 

at about the 10th hour I kept telling my self don't smash them, because I was seriously thinking about taking a sledge hammer to my PCs and both Legends but somehow I was able to keep it together and they came out UN scaved LOL

• Haha 1

Here is some information that may be relevant to people having issues updating their Legends. Be aware that I do not own a Legend, do not own a computer with Windows, and have not tried this with Windows 10 or 11. So all of this may be incorrect or irrelevant. Also if Windows modems are old news then feel free to stop reading now. And if you use your computer to connect to a critical device then follow these directions at your own risk. This worked for me in my situation. I have never tried it with a metal detector.

This information was discovered a few years ago when I used to program radios with a Windows computer. When you connect a device to a Windows computer via the USB port, Windows creates a modem connection. The modem associates the device to the port you connected it to. If you plug the same device into another USB port on the same computer, Windows creates another modem to handle the connection.

After some time the end result is multiple modem connections via multiple ports. At which point Windows cannot seem to figure out which modem talks to which device via which port. The solution is to delete all the modem connections and start over.

A possible procedure:

1. Unplug all USB devices.

2. Go to the modem settings area.
3. Delete all the modem connections.
4. While you still have the modem settings page open, connect the Legend to the computer. A new modem connection should appear.
5. Try to update your Legend.

Good luck.

• Like 1