Revolutionary Detectors Over Time?

Gotta say, the responses here have been nothing short of awesome! I'm both awed and amazed at the length of experience users here have, along with the variety and depth of machines used.

I'm still a rookie, but I am experiencing maximum fun running the Equinox 800 and Nokta Legend, testing them out against each other in my local parks and school yards. (I have some minor gold fields available which can yield flakes and tiny nuggests at shallow depth, but we'll get to that later.) No major finds so far, but I have dug out up some silver and jewelry.

Cheers to detecting in 2023!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience and in my kind of hunting, XP has given me great satisfaction, first D1 and now D2. But machine that in any case intrigued me the most is Blisstool V6, a real beast that needs to be tamed: bulgarian analogic single tone. Another machine that I loved is the Nautilus DMC 2B. Loved also V3i but it’s too cumbersome and slow, in my opinion. Talking about P.I, my 5000 is definitely fine even if has been dormant for months..

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I probably would be half as prolific if I never came across this forum, I have a lot to be thankful for since I first bought an Ace 400 to look for nails after a roof job. I suspected it to lead to more, but never imagined how much more.

I've made quite a few friends here and expect to be here for quite a while, it's the only forum I signed up for. I hope I have contributed to others' skill as well.

Allow me to humbly cast my vote for the Deus 2, it brings so many revolutionary facets to the hobby such as extreme light weight, completely wireless operation, and for me the tightest ID range of any machine I've used, sadly not enough but a wonder to me. It has its quirks but none of the other detectors I've used are anywhere near as versatile, nor "fit" me the way the Deus 2 does.

I will nod to the Equinox 600, in its simplicity it was a killer for me, I still use it from time to time but its use is reduced the more I learn the D2.

Thanks go to you all for the help and kicks in the butt as I go on. 🙂

• Like 7

The big difference makers for me? I started back in the mid-70's with a TR.

Teknetics Mark I back in the mid-80's.  Super accurate Target ID AND Audio Target ID, Manual Ground Balance. Notch ID

Minelab Explorer XS in 2000 and several years later the Etrac. Deep, accurate Target ID, great at sleuthing out coins and tokens

Minelab Equinox 800 - Opened up the low and mid-conductors in the shallow water for me and continued being deep with accurate target ID. Cutting the weight and being 'mostly' water proof.  

• Like 3

Nice of Jeff to bring this post back to life.

I think that revolutionary detectors vary by the era.  You can make a case for many machines over the years, a number of which have been mentioned here.  For me, I think the ultimate game changer was the Minelab Sovereign.  It changed the industry as far as I am concerned.  BBS opened up inland sites and allowed us to hunt salt water beaches without having to use PI's or gold machines on the dry.  To this day I have never found more good stuff then I did in the early days of my owning my Sovereign XS.

• Like 6