Steve Herschbach

Emergency Jump Starter / Charging System

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It is is my truck right now but no, I never did get around to using it as a charger or anything. Quite happy with the purchase however - I detect alone in some places where the peace of mind is worth every penny.

I had other sources to charge from and never got around to it. I would not buy it just for that - as phrunt noted it is designed to do lots of starts, but not so much for charging capability. That’s like a bonus feature for me.

Good yarn Jim. Thanks for telling. Was well worth it.?Gotta love jet boats. Did you ever consider running your dredge off the jet boat pump unit? Been done here in NZ. Purpose built jet boat & dredge all in one. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Still showing 100% charge after 8 months though I am sure it can use a little topping off.

Just a caution,  a battery that has lost a lot of its capacity can still show 100% charge regardless of its chemistry. The battery indicators are voltage based, a sure way to test is to load the batteries up ie. start a vehicle with a flat battery. Just a warning, nothing worse then finding it is so in an emergency. This is why with our old tech wet lead acid batteries a SG of the electrolyte is recommended over no load voltage reading, unfortunately I know of no way of testing a lithium battery except under load and doubt there is a method.

• Like 3

I always have a 1k watt genny, battery charger, and an extension cord with me even if more than two vehicles are with me. There has been a time or two both vehicle's have let the batteries get too low and a portable battery pack just doesn't have the guts to get a diesel going when it's cold out. 

I'm more worried about things like in the picture. I was fortunate to have another truck there, but I would have been just fine riding 50 miles into town and back on a four wheeler for parts in early January in N. Nevada with highs around 30° . Be prepared if you are a ways out and be able to save yourself, help may or may not come in time.

0113191521.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Good yarn Jim. Thanks for telling. Was well worth it.?Gotta love jet boats. Did you ever consider running your dredge off the jet boat pump unit? Been done here in NZ. Purpose built jet boat & dredge all in one. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

I've seen that done JW, but I had no need, my five inch was quite adequate for what I was doing. Soon after this I sold the boat and built an airboat.

air_avatar2.jpg.7c2030b31bd7ec16baa750839d68f916.jpg  air_avatar1.jpg.b4998aef52603f0b656e072d0461166f.jpg  air_avatar3.jpg.9bec3b4283c123e9bb7022190c6981fb.jpg

• Like 1

One point, if you have a Diesel engine, Genius has a jump started made just for them and for different  Diesel engine displacements that take in account engine size.  

• Like 1

One other thing on the topic, a very inexpensive Solar panel from Battery Tender can help keep your batter/s charged during the daytime. I have one and it works very well.

• Like 3

Hey Steve I have one of those and also have 2 others called the Halo that I keep in a couple other vehicles-They all work great and you can get more than a few jumps before needing to be recharged.They are alot more compact than a car battery theyll fit in your glove box-Good choice for sure ? Mike C...?

• Like 1

I carry one around on my quad at all times, its saved me at least once when the quad gel cell battery was on the way out. I’ve  also used it to top up my phone in fringe areas where the phone battery dies really quickly and a couple of times have used the torch on it when I was out after dark. 

JP

• Like 6

Great info, you won't be stuck anywhere if you have items like this in your kit...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Roughwater
      If you own a GPX I'm sure if you don't already have a battery back up you are probably wanting to get one.  Well, that's where I am at.  Problem is buying a 2nd battery is some 400 dollars or more.  I know Doc's has the Screamer kit with the amp and a couple smaller batteries etc which don't sound bad but it's still over 400 dollars for the complete set up.  There may be some other similar set ups as well, I don't know.  I could see the option of buying the Screamer amp for 135, the little pouch that goes around the detector for 50 and another 50 for one battery cutting the cost a bit.  But then you need a different charger for this battery so probably another 20 or so bucks.  So with shipping your probably better than 250 for the set up.  
      Some say the screamer amp is plastic and can get cracks in it easily?  I'm assuming too the screamer has a built in regulator but I don't know.   
      Anyone have experience with using the stock minelab set up VS the aftermarket one's?    
    • Guest Paul (Ca)
      By Guest Paul (Ca)
      Part of this in is for jasong with his recently acquired FisherScope T-30, battery setup. Plus, a sample of some neat FisherScope models all in working condition with the exception of the MA-two box.
      Plus, What may be the first White's Gold Master and auctally maybe the first model they made under OreMaster before becoming White's Electronics.
      Jasong, the first two pictures are of two FisherScope T-30 models, one stock with the original battery the other modified with either a 9-volt or 12 volt battery pack.
      They work with either 9 or 12 volt setup, go with 12 volts if you prefer. Use the attached pics to determine which leads to solder the battery clip, then make sure the battery is secure or covered to prevent a short...... Plus, You'll need the older headset to plug in to power on the unit, or the plug in vintage speaker I believe yours has one.  Current headsets will not work, needs to be the older vintage type.
      Ok, Moving on with the White's Gold Master.  It is powered with one 67.5 volt pack and two 1.5 volt packs. Until a few years ago, the 67.5 battery packs were available on the internet. But recently, they stopped making them. Someone out there started making a neat setup which resembles the original battery and has same battery clip setup. Using seven 9-volt batteries in series they came up with a cool setup which slides into a cartion for those needing 67.5 volts to power old radios, Metal detectors and such...one of the pics shows the 1950/1960's FisherScope T-10X and the BFO Gold Master, Both use the same 67.5 volt battery pack. And both use an additional set of 1.5 battery packs.
      In case someone wants to power up an old piece of vintage equipment, several sources are out there to provide the type of voltage needed. Hope this information helps.
      These are a sample from my collection, and with the exception of the Gold Master these are different types of Fisher Scope models. Several with painted wooden coils, And some are extremely advanced looking for their time. Jasong's T-30 was one of them, only drawback was it's an arm killer to swing.
      Thanks for looking,
      Paul

• By rumblefish
      Very interesting advance.
    • By Dan(NM)
      I need one for a project and wanted to find a cheap replacement, thanks.
    • By Diggin' It
      What kind of batteries ya'll use? I used to buy nothing but Duracell rechargeable, then in the last year I couldn't find any. I just bought some Rayovac with a charger, but they don't seem to hold a charge. I charged them, put them in, they showed full charge as I hunted for about an hour, then the next day only see two dots on the power gauge. I recharged them hoping they needed a break in, but they did the same thing. Now I have used them for 3 days, with only two dots showing, they don't seem to be going any lower, but I don't trust them. I just did a search and found a bunch of Duracells, I might of been looking for the same charger I used to have, that died, and couldn't find it. I hate to go spend more on a different brand...I didn't notice until now, the rechargeable's are 1.2 volt, whereas the regular are 1.5 volt, would that make a difference?

I don't want a battery pack, at least not a NiCad...

• By kac
      I recently purchased these

They are the proper 1.5 volt and lithium batteries. They work well in my Tesoro that tends to chew up batteries fairly quickly. Will see how they hold up. They should not fade in performance as regular Alkalines do.
      $20 for 4 is pretty good. Much less than the $80 I paid for my AT Pro lithium pack.