Hello, Can anyone tell me if this is a meteorite? It is the first “possible” meteorite I have found, so excuse me if this sounds somewhat ignorant.

I found it on the coast in DownEast, Maine. I did the only tests I know of, which are magnet and porcelain; it is magnetic and does not mark unglazed porcelain. It weighs 6.5 oz. Help.

Thank you for your input!

3A6C6775-2B42-40A1-8B81-3D771EF72666.jpeg

9FD0B6F1-E203-4095-B6AE-968D61245CB7.jpeg

6458EB9F-CFC8-44BD-9ECC-32425E807305.jpeg

064D064A-9C76-4F76-AB7F-6191B9AD50B1.jpeg

16CC9114-F8D5-48C7-8166-84EB9EFB55D9.jpeg

091DE326-F6EB-4F19-B437-3997562263C5.jpeg

656308EF-C3CC-4EE4-984D-6A37A5789812.jpeg

Only way to know for sure, is to cut a small piece off and send to a place that can tell for sure.  Good luck, you might have a good one.

Not that I am a meteorite expert but I am not seeing any reason why this would be a suspect meteorite. Zero sign of a fusion crust, just looks like a common rock to me.

save your money...I don't see any indication of it being a meteorite.

You might grind down an edge to check for chondules and nickel flecks...

not likely

fred

I don't know much about rocks from deep within the earth, but that looks like a garnet-rich rock from the lower crust or upper mantle.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help.

It turns out that it is just a nasty old rock. I figured it out when I found another one on the beach today. Oh well, I’ll keep trying!

Thanks again.

Oldmancoyote may have a point, does look a bit like eclogite

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By nordic
      Perhaps not enough information, but how does it look to you?
      It's about 15mm in size.
      Thanks in advance

• By Lunk
      https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2019-12-25---the-meteorite-that-fell-on-christmas-eve-.r1wJLAlJL.html
      https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=Spain&sfor=places&ants=&nwas=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&strewn=&snew=0&pnt=Normal table&code=16715
    • By Bobbo
      Hello all,
      My soon-to-be-fiancée and I are heading to Arizona in a few weeks. She's a Science teacher and loves ALL things space. I want to take her meteorite hunting but have NO clue where to start. For the folks whose ever been to Holbrook, I have a few questions:
      1. Are there metal detector rental places nearby? We're flying in from Florida so I'd like to purchase/rent when we get there.
      2. If we drive into Holbrook, are there maps telling you where to go hunt? I'll continue to look for GPS coordinates before I go. I've read folks talking about railroad tracks...
      3. Are metal detectors the best way to find something? Can you "drag a magnet" or use the naked eye?
      Thanks for any replies. ANY help will be much appreciated.
      -Bobbo

• By 1515Art
      My son had his first official hunt today on some private property in New Mexico. He was looking for old coins with the whites sst I gave him earlier this year, no coins but he dug this 9 1/2 ounce possible meteorite about 10 inches down. My son said a two pound confirmed meteorite was found very nearby fairly recently that looks exactly the same. 
      My son said the detector just screamed when the coil went over it.

• By tvanwho
      Make them into swords? Turn down your volume, kinda loud....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PS2l31EhM
    • By mn90403
      I went to Gold Basin with the IDEA of finding gold.  That proved futile so I went back to a couple of places where I've found meteorites.  I managed to eek out a couple (10g partial sunbaker and 2.7g from near the helicopter pad) before I headed home via Franconia on Thursday morning.

This is the patina you expect on a sunbaker meteorite.  I haven't cleaned it and I'll let this one stay with the little bit of dirt.  I heard it but didn't see it before I scooped it.  I also didn't have my camera with me to take a picture.

I have not been in Franconia with the 7000 since it came out.  On that trip I got a couple of nice chondrites and about 20 irons.  The picture and story won Minelab find of the month.  I was hoping for a repeat but I also wanted to target a different area.  Part of that plan worked and part didn't.  The first half of the walk I didn't find any irons and found one deep target that is not a meteorite even tho I've found a meteorite there at a similar depth.  Here are the beginning panoramas for Franconia.

It was a good 'second half' of the trip because I swung down to where the irons fell and found a few on the patina patches I had missed before.  They are not very big but they sound off really good. 

Beginning at 1 o'clock on the dime and going to 12 the ten meteorites are: .06, .06, .07, .07, .10, .18, ,25, ,28, .32, and .34 grams.

Just like gold the meteorites in Franconia are harder to find!
      Mitchel