Second Seminole Indian War Finds

I and several detecting buddies supported a local museum a year ago by metal detecting a Second Seminole Indian War site that was occupied by the 2nd Dragoons from December 1837 to March of 1838. Below is just a sampling of our finds from that area. Many more uniform buttons, musket balls of various calibers and such not shown here came from our hunts.

We suspect that one of their supply boats either sank or capsized since all the finds below were in the same general 25 square yard area. In digging down to retrieve these artifacts, I did hit wood deep in the muck ergo our thoughts that these finds came from a lost boat.

The fort was constructed on the shores of a local lake and all finds thus far have been from that lake. We've yet to find the exact location of the fort itself but we have a good idea where it was. A modern road and house construction however prevents us from successfully searching the suspected area.

Click image for larger version.   Name: Dragoon and Eagle Button.JPG  Views: 0  Size: 89.4 KB  ID: 1782903
dragoon uniform button

Click image for larger version.   Name: Gold US Button.JPG  Views: 0  Size: 117.7 KB  ID: 1782910

Click image for larger version.   Name: Ring.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 258.3 KB  ID: 1782911
period ring

Click image for larger version.   Name: Buttons and Balls.jpg  Views: 1  Size: 114.8 KB  ID: 1782904
buttons and a few musket balls

Click image for larger version.   Name: 6-1 bayonet1.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 301.1 KB  ID: 1782905
Bayonet with scabbard

Click image for larger version.   Name: Breast Plate.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 476.8 KB  ID: 1782906
I found this breast plate in knee deep water and 16 inches deep in the lake muck, This is just the way it came from the muck. No cleaning was needed!

Click image for larger version.   Name: Raw Anchor.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 119.9 KB  ID: 1782907
raw anchor after encrustation was removed. It took two of us over 45 minutes to extract this anchor from the lake's muck.

Click image for larger version.   Name: Preserved Anchor.JPG  Views: 0  Size: 133.8 KB  ID: 1782908
preserved anchor

Click image for larger version.   Name: Finds Display.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 60.0 KB  ID: 1782909
One of our displays we made for the museum.

We'll be headed back to the site in the coming year.

17 minutes ago, FloridaSon said:

Excellent artifacts Col. Dan! Were you Using your beach three tones settings?

These were found pre-EQX.  The team and I were using CTX 3030s and Excalibers.  My CTX was set to 2 tones, open screen and optimized for relics.  When relic hunting, I always use all metal and dig everything...iron artifacts are valued too.  😉

Another interesting button we found was one from the War of 1812. That's a script "I" for infantry. My research indicated that such buttons were re-issued from surplus 1812 vintage stock to the soldiers of the Seminole war period.

Click image for larger version.   Name: Scripted I button.JPG  Views: 0  Size: 82.1 KB  ID: 1782922

Is this the same site that Tom Dankowski wrote up for Fisher here?

Great finds Dan, simply beautiful relics.