Cal_cobra Meets An Indian Princess On The Spanish Trail

Cal_Cobra

Saying I had an epic weekend would be an understatement! I loaded the latest Equinox firmware update to try the new FE2/0 iron program, and it did not disappoint!

I've posted about trip reports from this site several times over the years. It's always been a fun site IMO, you just never know what you'll dig, and it dates back to the early 1800's with history into the 20th century. It saw it's share of the Spanish, Mexicans, Emigrants, and Americans. It's getting difficult, lots of flat iron still left, but good finds have been thinning out, easy finds have been gone for years. TomCA won't even hunt there any more.

This trip turned out to be absolutely EPIC! Unbelievable really, because there have been trips where neither Tom nor I have dug a single coin at this site, so to dig five period coins in one trip was astounding.

Now if these were just five common 1800's coins, I would've left there an extremely happy camper, but two out of the five turned out to be astounding finds!

An 1865-S Seated Liberty Dime AND a 1856-S INDIAN PRINCESS $1 GOLD PIECE!!! I am absolutely over the moon from this hunt!

I got all the coins on video, if you have a chance, take a look:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1801598&stc=

attachment.php?attachmentid=1801600&stc=

Without further ado:

Right after she was dug and I just ran some bottled water over her in the field:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1801212&stc=

attachment.php?attachmentid=1801213&stc=

Thanks for looking!!

GL&HH,
Cal <<<<<<<< THE ORIGINAL CAL icon_thumleft.gif

Great finds, and all I can say is that I live in the wrong place.

Great job and keep up the good work!

Brian,

The word you used in the first sentence of your post, is the best one I can think of, to describe that...EPIC!

One thing I don't recall from the video, is how deep you think the gold coin was...just curious, as you said the machine was rock-solid on the "12" VDI...I am wondering how deep the EQX can hold that solid of an ID, in the dirt, on such a small coin...

Anyway, incredible job!  Your persistence with this site really, REALLY paid off, in a big way!

CONGRATS!!

Steve

What else can be said, that's what makes digging hundreds of pieces of trash worth it. You just never know when the next plug's gonna be a bucket lister. Congrats on a find of a lifetime!!

1 hour ago, Dan(NM) said:

What else can be said, that's what makes digging hundreds of pieces of trash worth it. You just never know when the next plug's gonna be a bucket lister. Congrats on a find of a lifetime!!

Not his first gold coin...so multiple lifetimes :biggrin:  That is a $1000 coin in VF30 condition!

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Not his first gold coin...so multiple lifetimes :biggrin:  That is a $1000 coin in VF30 condition!

• Yeah, and check out the value on the 1865-S Seated Dime...   :ohmy: