Tid For A War Nickel?

Are we looking for a higher Tid on war nickels? or do they fall in 12-13 zone?

thanks for any insight.

ht

On my Equinox 800 they are always 12-13.  There is a slight difference between park and field programs but still between 12-13. 

Got another one yesterday. This time a solid 13 and only 4" deep in the red clay dirt of Virginia.

20200511_090827.jpg

Well i was pretty happy to hear 12-13 and a solid 13 even better, when it comes to a war time nickel tid, because i have a 1946 that i was hoping was an error coin. Apparently the wrong planchet  was used and some 1946 nickels were made with 35% silver. Today i went to the coin store to verify if the coin had any silver, but they could not help me because they said they don't have a way to test for such low silver content. I thought they would have an XRF gun and just shoot the coin to find out results. After two opinions, they could not say if it was or was not made with any silver. The shop owner said he knows a guy in Carson who thinks he has one also, but he points out that it would cost lots of money to have it tested so he didn't sound very positive about the situation. Any ideas on how to identify silver in this coin? 

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

Either my machine or myself are insane because the ID received on a 1944 war nickel a little over a week ago in the ground was 15 for me. *shrugs* maybe it had something to do with the soil, or the fact it was in dirt that was rocky (old ball field gravel stuff).

2 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Well i was pretty happy to hear 12-13 and a solid 13 even better, when it comes to a war time nickel tid, because i have a 1946 that i was hoping was an error coin.

The threads Steve H. linked go pretty deep into some of the anomalous TID's.  But as you've heard, X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy (XRFS) is the way to find out.  From your photos I don't see the right color/shading so don't get your hopes up too high.

I know what you mean GB Amateur, i have been down that road. Don't count'em until they have hatched. 🤠

ht

• 4 weeks later...