Tometusns

High Number War Nickel

Well, after reading about the high number war nickels I finally got one at an old fairground in Kansas. Hits a solid 21.I was sure surprised to see a nickel in the hole. It's a 1943 s.

15520084652172966947959673490313.jpg

• Like 4

Worn but very nice?

• Thanks 1

I have seen a few posts where the 1943 S war nickels especially, read high.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tometusns said:

I finally got one at an old fairground in Kansas.

Kansas is next to Oklahoma.  Are we really seeing a pattern here?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sure!  That small subset of the "silver" nickels is really odd...

Steve

• Like 1

Nice find!  I have had war nickels read higher than 13 or 14 but never a 21 that I can recall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alluminati said:

Perhaps in your country.

This thread is called high number war nickle, I just figured its a spin off of another thread with you guys debating why a coin has a slightly higher TID then the rest.

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you thought was confusing, but I was also familiar with the two other long-time threads that had been contnuously discussing this issue so there was no doubt in my mind about what Tom was saying.  Funny, I can now see that depending on your frame of refrence you could find the original post perfectly clear or totally confusing, especially when it comes to the nuances of foriegn or US coinage.  Nevertheless,  war nickel or not it was a high VDI for a nickel (denomination) coin.  The use of the term "nickel" is a misnomer in this case because it is related more to the denomination of the coin than it's metallic makeup.

• Like 1

Here are a couple that will confuse you.

My first ever war nik was high reading of 23-25. The few after that were solid 13-14.

The one on the left is 13-14 and the one on the right is 23-25....both are '43 S.

I read somewhere that it was at the discretion of the mint to ever so slightly bump up the silver content. I believe I read it this way but I could be wrong or forgot the details of what I read.  

600x469 a.jpg

600x482 b.jpg

• Like 1

There was a lengthy discussion about war nickles on the dankowski forum and it was concluded that during the war time there were significant variances from the typically noted 35% silver, 9% manganese, and 56% copper composition.  San Francisco was a major contributor to WW2 building ships, subs, munitions, etc., so I don't doubt that there were times the mint simply couldn't stick to the formula due to war time needs. 

• Like 2

I don't know if the mint makes the planchet or they have a company make them. But either way it's obvious there are variances in the mix. Which just makes our hobby a little more interesting. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kaolin washer
      I have been digging a 1930,s out house and before i left for the day i scanned my sniper coil thru the dirt i had trown out , finding sevral shot shells and then what i thought was a token , and this is just on top of the pile well i got it home and cleaned off the dirt , It is an 1899 V nickle , and i suppose when the out house user pulled down his pants this coin fell out , Now I am asking myself , How many other coins have fallen out ? so my plan is to take a board and put a few scoops on the board , spread it out , have a magnet handy and scan the whole pile going back in  I bet it has more coins

• By GhostLands
      Copy/paste from my Facebook group post.
      Took my GPX 5000 for a walk today! 5 Roman coins, 1 coin dated 1874, 1 Hammered coin from the 16th Century, 1 half of a buckle (D shape) 15 - 16th Century if I'm correct, 1 big D Buckle from the 14th Century if im correct, 1 round copper objet that appears to be related to a lock (14 - 16th Century if I'm correct) and a little 🐕! Looks like silver but I'm not sure. Another hot day (34°C). These were all very deep targets! The round thingy was at +-50cm! (Really hard soil) The landowner's son saw that i was pulling these from crazy depths, so i told him to bring a backhoe someday... He likes the idea!😎 Can't wait to see what we going to find there!😁 Once again proving the GPX 5000 is a must have for coins and relics! (Something that Gordon Heritage has been doing for ages)😎 Now a little tip for all the coin ans relic hunters around the globe: Instead of buying lot's of machines, just save some cash to get one of these beasts! Just in case you don't know yet, this machine will see trough them Iron Slags or any other mineralization like if "they" weren't there! Roman areas and Medieval areas for example. I'm out!😊 Be lucky!😄 Cheers😁

• By dogodog
      I decided to avoid heat stroke today by hunting at 6am. Went to an old farm pond close to a 1840's house. The old pond was a swimming hole for the owners back in the day. I was finding the usual farm debris when I got a really great hit. To my suprise out popped a 1945 Merc, but that wasn't all, four wheaties were keeping it company. I haven't found a merc in quite awhile and was wondering if I would ever find another. Two seconds after I filled that hole, I hit on a buffalo nickle. A little later I collected two more wheaties and three plain lincolns, a shotgun case, a giant 3 1/2'' brass ring and an unknown brass valve thingamajig. Any clues let me know, It has the word MAJOCA on the side. Overall I'm rating this as a damn good morning!!! 

• By GhostLands
      Hey wassup guys!😃
      These are all my golds, found last year with my trusty Equinox 800! ( except the scorpion medallion, was found with 9HF)
      Staring from the top:
      2 Escudos from Philippe II - 1556-1598
      400 Reis from Ioannes V - 1722
      Barbarian Tremiss 3 - 6th Century if I'm correct
      1/4 Dinar aka Fraction - 12- 13th Century  if I'm correct
      Roman Earing
      Hollow Earing 18-19th if I'm correct
      Scorpion medallion. 
      I turned one of those coins into a ring.
      I never tried hunting for native gold and never tried learning how to track it, but I got sort of specialized on tracking Ancient/Medieval areas. 
      Best of luck to you all!
      Cheers

• By GhostLands
      Good morning everyone!
      Just passing by to drop some of my Vanquish finds! 
      Really great machine! Its my Mini Nox haha. No complaints from here!  Already managed to find a scattered hoard from the 14th century with it!
      Have great day!
      Cheers

• By GhostLands
      Some finds from area that i tracked some months ago!
      We were having a very boring day...  after several hours walking near a river bank hoping for a Medieval dock, I started to see few fragments of pottery and Equinox 800 started to grunt alot...  1 musket ball... 2... 3...  We had just found a new hot spot! Lots of goodies from the 18th Century. When we started to get short on signals, I loaded my sea level simulator for a quick inspect... ( the more you go back in history, the more higher was the sea level), i saw an interesting elevation and went there for a inspection. Managed to extract 9 Medieval coppers on a small patch at the top! 
      Hope y'all don't mind that I post old hunts... 

Be lucky!
      Cheers