Many Silver Finds Over The Years

For you guys in USA note that the Coins struck at the San Francisco mint (1942–1944) carry a small S below the coat of arms, while those from the Denver mint (1942–1943) have a small D in the same place.

USA-mint.thumb.jpg.488d263bf19970b6c56ca26cb03b3d4f.jpg

The mint mark is just above the Date.

In  2006 me and my  friend after a bulldozer cleared a path in the woods in a park that we happen to   stumbled on piles of silver coins  that were all over the place and even in the pond next to the path he created.We found over 1200 that were mostly mercs and    rosies with no key dates. We found some more the years   after .We picked them up like popcorn on the surface.i think it was in the best finds magazine in 2007 titled silver in the   rough by  Curt  Roe.I hope you all can find at least one   pile of coins like this in your detecting adventures. 

Wow, that is alot of nice finds! Glad to see that you have them protected! Are the coin holders non-reactive?? Some of the older "protective" holders reacted badly with the metals, and ruined many coins!! (pressboard and plastic!) 👍👍

I'm out of likes! So I'll swing back later!👍👍

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

A quick video

When I see stashes like this the first thing that comes to my mind:  "I wish I had been serious back in the 70's when I first got interested in detecting."

But then I realize there is a lot more to it than that.  Suppose in 1979 when you started, 100 random people (about your age) were given the same detector you had and were told "come back in 40 years and we'll compare hauls".  How many would have had as good of results as you?  My answer:  "damn few."

GB,

You are 100% correct!!

I started detecting  around 79' ! I didn't get bored with it! Other stuff >👙< just took over! I wish i had stuck with it then! Now i will never know what i could have found! Also would have saved me alot of aggravation! >👙<🤪 👍👍

GB_Amateur in Aus the main reason for getting a detector was for finding gold due to massive nuggets being found. When a group of 5 pros from West Aust hit  Wedderburn Victoria in six weeks the all had a shoe box each over following with nuggets. A.Muller the Garrets importer in Kilmore Vic confirmed this to me after the caretaker of the caravan park told me.

The biggest advantage back then, was the access that we had. I remember detecting a Church Lawn when the man with the white collar asked how I was going. I showed him the coins and he said well the church missed out on them. I gave him the decimal coins and told him to put them in the poor box (BUT NOT PRE-DECIMAL COINS). It was easy to get access on schools, parks, sporting grounds and private properties, not now. A bit of Aust Currency history

Early Currency in Australia
When New South Wales was first established in 1788 the English Pound was the official currency, although Spanish Dollars were used quite regularly. In 1813, to try to discourage the illegal use of Spanish Dollars, the centers of the coins were cut out; they became known as 'holey dollars' and the cores were called 'dumps'; this was Australia's first form of coinage.

From the Pound Sterling to the Australian Dollar
In 1825, the government imposed the Sterling standard and British coins began to be minted in Australia. These silver and bronze coins continued to be used until 1910, when a new national currency, the Australian Pound, was introduced. The Australian Pound was fixed in value to the Pound Sterling and, as a result, used a gold standard. Three years later, the first series of Australian notes were issued. In February of 1966, the Australian Dollar (AUD) was introduced under a decimalized system; dollars and cents replacing the pounds, shillings, and pence. In 1988, banknotes were converted to polymer, a technology originally developed in Australia to help prevent counterfeiting.

When I get time I will continue with Shilling and Florins on this Silver thread.