Back Into The Swing Of Things

GB, I'm thinking 1923 to 1964 judging by the little chart I came across. I did find the broken milk glass seal in the hole. As for the tree site, It was farm ground with an 18th century house about 1500 yards away. This was the second old one that came down the first was 233 rings counted.

JoeD, Thanks for the bell ID, Thats why I love this site. Your the Man

1440531474-ball-jar-date-31.jpg

25 minutes ago, dogodog said:

...I'm thinking 1923 to 1964 judging by the little chart I came across.

I see the reasons for your conclusion.  I wonder if that chart is complete, though.  Yours shows signs of the 1923-33 logo shown but that one appears to be missing the underline, even though every other one starting in 1885 has it.  The distance between the 'B' and the 'a' looks more like the 1923-33 than the 1933-62 and also the lower lobe of the 'B' matches the 1923-33 better.  Still, the top right curl ('hat') of the 'B' doesn't match either one.

Another reason I question the chart's completeness & accuracy is that the ones I have come closest to the 1933-62 but not perfectly.  I don't think this is a big deal but I always try to date sites and knowing when a recovered item was made helps that.  Overall I see things in your finds pile that seem older than 1953.  That doesn't rule out that these items were dropped since then, of course.

As an example, that broken enameled metal piece that has something like ___vin Mont. Co. -- is this site in or near Montgomery County, PA?  The font on that looks late 19th Century or possibly even earlier, to my unexpert eye.

I agree the chart is a little wonky but it was the best I could come up with. The said enameled piece is actually silver plated. The site is in montco PA. The piece measures 1/2'' X 1 1/2''  I was thinking it came off of an old trophy or some kind of award. 

3 minutes ago, dogodog said:

I agree the chart is a little wonky but it was the best I could come up with. The said enameled piece is actually silver plated. The site is in montco PA. The piece measures 1/2'' X 1 1/2''  I was thinking it came off of an old trophy or some kind of award. 

NP with the chart.  I suspect Ball used a lot of slight variations in their logo, possibly unintetionally and maybe just manufacturing method variety.  Sounds like I stumbled upon the right location.  Watch your back as I might be sneaking up on you while you're hunting there next.  Of course if you really are even close to your Avatar you will both hear and smell me before I can knock you on the head and steal your loot.  I've heard that chunks of raw meat are a good distraction but so far your finds aren't worth a juicy steak.  😄

No need to whack me on the head with a digger, I would gladly invite you to this spot. BUT I never pass up a good steak!!! Maybe if I told you some pre 1740's coins were found close by.

That's a great hunt.