GPX 4000 Beach Hunt

Got out Saturday morning early to try and beat the heat but by 11 am it was pushing 90. Used my GPX with the 14" Coiltek DD coil and ran in Salt mode most of the time, used normal a while too but Salt was much quieter. Had to walk half a mile down the beach to get to where I wanted to hunt and found either my headphones or battery had an issue. The volume was real weak even at full volume, I dealt with it but had the wind been blowing I would have had to walk back. Later found out it was a battery issue, amp must be bad. I think it's time to get Docs gold screamer setup. I'm tired of spending $450 for batteries Minelab claims can't be repaired. This is the second battery in a year that has gone bad.

I hunted the wet sand down to the waters edge. Based on all the swim cap buckles, I was in the right place but just couldn't pull up any gold. The Chinese cache coin was kind of cool and all the coins were older. 2 corroded wheat pennies, silver Roosevelt dime, Jefferson nickel, buffalo and what looks like a V-nickel or possible token. Everything I found is pictured with the exception of a long piece of copper wire and two iron blobs that I left in the garbage can. All of the targets were shovel head deep or deeper  

Beach.jpg

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Steelphase sells what you need to fix your batteries Amplifier.

https://www.steelphase.net/product-page/gpx-battery-audio-repair-kit

$23AUD + Shipping and you're good to go again.

Yea actually looked into that repair kit but it's been out of stock. I've got an electronics guy close to me I think I'll take a battery and schematic into him and see if he can find the parts and fix it. 

That's a great hunt, Just seeing those targets I would get back to that spot ASAP..with a good battery. Most of those targets if I am digging I will start digging everything..I bet you don't miss much with the GPX and that big coil.

You should break a old battery down and see what Minelab puts in them, can't be that hard to make a similar...

I love Doc's Treasure Amps, I used one on my excalibur for a few years pulling out the faints in Pin Point. I ended up replacing it with a set of head phones that were almost as loud, it was all in the piezo's, the piezo plate and the stress on the piezo's that allowed me to gain a much higher DB Level. It's amazing what is hidden in the audio of a detector, specially a All metal machine...

Good Luck with all and Be Safe!

36 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That's a great hunt, Just seeing those targets I would get back to that spot ASAP..with a good battery. Most of those targets if I am digging I will start digging everything..I bet you don't miss much with the GPX and that big coil.

Yea I wish I had the AQ right now. It would be nice to go back over the same spot and see what, if anything the GPX missed. I'm sure I missed stuff though with that bad battery. But I did dig every signal unless it blanked out on the GPX, which is iron.

GPX's rock on the beach! Nice hunt and you were definitely at the right spot.

Good luck when you get back out to that spot. I love areas like that, I might move only 10 feet in 3 hours in those type of areas.