Could Have Found It With A Radio Shack

A wise man once told me,

"Most of the gold he had ever found could have been found with an old Radio Shack detector"

So the detectors are not the main focus of finding gold..... we all know that location is the single most important factor when detecting, drywashing, dredging, sluicing, sniping, panning, etc.... Now, that being said.....

Part of the fun of detecting for me is using the latest and greatest machines---- it adds to hobby (and it is a hobby) for me...

Why do some people buy a new car every two years when they could have driven the other one into retirement????

Because we like to..... !

Not because one or the other is so much better than the other.....

if a person can't find gold with a 3000... then i really doubt buying a 7000 is going to make that much of a difference... but if that same person chooses to do so ,,, more power to him/her.......

i try not to overthink things....... and that is very easy for me to do!!! :rolleyes:

Here is where it all started for me back in paleo days.....

post-1-0-36244800-1450015481_thumb.jpeg

"Most of the gold he had ever found could have been found with an old Radio Shack detector"

I'd like to run a SDC or GPZ over his patches then.

Back in the day you could find good gold with just about anything that beeped. Nowadays it is very different - those same old patches still give up gold but it's difficult to find. The old VLF's, the Radio Shack just don't cut the mustard, hobbyist or fulltime pro! There isn't the plentiful, bigger bits, they are getting rarer & rarer. Without the best technology you can afford you aren't going to be doing yourself any favours - at least here in Australia.

I've got gold in areas with a GMT, none with SD2200D or GPX5000 & a few more with the SDC.

Other areas nothing with the GMT, SD2200D or GPX5000 but numerous bits with the SDC.

Others finds came from SD2200D & GPX5000 but didn't bother with the GMT due to the ground. The SDC I feel would get more but I don't have access now.

Yet again in another area the GPX5000 has been the champion with nothing from others. Combination of ground & depth.

As much as location is very important, no use looking for gold where there is none, your choice of machine/s can be just as important in using something to suit that location. There are numerous areas where I now struggle to find a bit but I reckon a GPZ7000 could change that.

I've found nuggets I seriously doubt that a Radio Shack or other VLF would have or could have found & that is all about location too.

On 12/13/2015 at 2:53 PM, AussieMatt said:

I'd like to run a SDC or GPZ over his patches then.

Back in the day you could find good gold with just about anything that beeped. Nowadays it is very different - those same old patches still give up gold but it's difficult to find. The old VLF's, the Radio Shack just don't cut the mustard, hobbyist or fulltime pro! There isn't the plentiful, bigger bits, they are getting rarer & rarer. Without the best technology you can afford you aren't going to be doing yourself any favours - at least here in Australia.

I've got gold in areas with a GMT, none with SD2200D or GPX5000 & a few more with the SDC.

Other areas nothing with the GMT, SD2200D or GPX5000 but numerous bits with the SDC.

Others finds came from SD2200D & GPX5000 but didn't bother with the GMT due to the ground. The SDC I feel would get more but I don't have access now.

Yet again in another area the GPX5000 has been the champion with nothing from others. Combination of ground & depth.

As much as location is very important, no use looking for gold where there is none, your choice of machine/s can be just as important in using something to suit that location. There are numerous areas where I now struggle to find a bit but I reckon a GPZ7000 could change that.

I've found nuggets I seriously doubt that a Radio Shack or other VLF would have or could have found & that is all about location too.

Please read the sentence a little better...... You will notice I did not say he was using a radio shack unit---- what i said was..... well i dont have to say it again, it's right there.

and location IS the ultimate factor ---because if there aint no gold you arent going to find it even if you have a wash plant and a D9 dozer....

So basically what i said was that most of his finds were shallow vs deep lunkers..... simple

Well, I am probably the source of that quote. I do not live in Australia, and I have rarely ever hunted pounded patch locations. Most of the gold I have ever found was because I put my coil over it first.

That is not to say I was not using the most powerful detector possible at the time. Just that when I used my GPX 5000 to find a 6.5 oz nugget in Alaska a Radio Shack detector quite literally could have found it. Many, many others also. And although I am running a GPZ 7000 now most of the gold I found this summer many other detectors would have found it also. Just saying.

Sometimes I do get real deep nuggets and pat myself and my detector on the back. Or really, really, tiny stuff that only a Gold Bug 2 or a couple other machines might hit - no Radio Shack ever going to do that!

People are welcome to hunt behind me however. I do miss gold.

On 12/13/2015 at 4:01 PM, vanursepaul said:

Please read the sentence a little better...... You will notice I did not say he was using a radio shack unit---- what i said was..... well i dont have to say it again, it's right there.

and location IS the ultimate factor ---because if there aint no gold you arent going to find it even if you have a wash plant and a D9 dozer....

So basically what i said was that most of his finds were shallow vs deep lunkers..... simple

Yeah mate I can read English well even though I'm not American lol. I realise he wasn't using a radio shack.

What I was trying to point out & you have highlighted with "most of his finds were shallow vs deep lunkers..... simple" is that comments like those, in my opinion, are just throw away lines. In that area of mostly shallow finds then it may have some truth but in my humble experience by comparison it is more of an exception than a rule. Big nuggets, huge in fact, have been found in shallow ground in Australia with older type VLF's many years ago. Big nuggets are still found now but with newer technology. No doubt some could be found with cheaper machines but like I said they would be the exception rather than the rule. What I was trying to point out, obviously poorly, was that different machines can give very different results in the same location & choosing a machine to suit your location or variety of locations can play a big part especially more so now than years ago when people were literally picking it up in places.

Of course location is the ultimate factor, that goes without saying. Machine choice to suit specific GOLD locations can & does play a huge factor in success or lack of, again in my opinion only.

Thanks!

I thought I was posting in a "reminiscing VLF depth " topic.

In essence I agree with Steve's opinion  Nothing new in raw depth of the IB detectors.

But they sure have gotten easier to use and ID. I mean just look at all those knobs on the 202A, each adjustment had to be preformed in a strict sequence!

No matter how you look at it the detectors are getting better. One only need get nostalgic and go use an old favorite from years ago to find that out. There really is no going back.

I always wondered about the Gardiner machines Chris. They looked powerful but we're very expensive for the time, and not many people seemed use them, so I never made the leap.