Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

It has some nice features but it will not Equal the MXTs, The Reject Volume is a great Idea have spent months in Iron filled sites I like that, Since the E-series came on the market I can't believe that Whites had the chance to add Manual Ground Balance and again they have missed the boat, So they are still not Listening after 15 plus years,, You can buy a Truck and order what Extras you want and the dealers/factories fall over backward trying to win over Customer who would normally buy a Chevy, Ford or Dodge But whites just build what they like and we are supposed to be excited about it, The first words that come to my mind is ( No Not Again ), Which is a pity because I like the modern Approach the MX-S has and whites know that people like Steve and many others have been asking whites for manual GB since the MXT came out, So unless whites starts to listen my money will be going to Makro/Nokta, Because I am not sure if I can wait another 15 years or whether any of us can for that matter and I don't want to Buy a rehash in a new Skin and if they are not going to listen to the Thousands of people who have asked for manual GB etc then they don't deserve my money because I can have what I have been asking whites for and have it now from an EU company, Which in one respect annoys me because I have been 110% behind whites and in the past year alone I have spent 5 to $6000,00 on whites products.

I wish them luck and they will sell a lot of these machines to folks who just like to get out a swing a coil, But I already have a machine that puts finds in the pocket and it can run rings around this one, So I will not be buying one.    

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another very important issue for coin hunters with our digitized units is the dreaded bottlecap segmentation and tone issue. Far too many manufacturers units are very bad at differentiating the caps verses coins.

Nokta/Makro are addressing this problem.

A few Minelab units have nice secrets to fully distinguish the problem to a very acceptable level.

And other units have their little tricks too, again to an acceptable level.

Unfortunately the MXSport is a total dud in this regard.

Mixed reports from early owners. Some seem just fine with the MX Sport, others are very unhappy with the audio and separation characteristics in the preset hunt modes. Good news for prospectors however is the Prospecting Mode may be very good indeed. Too early to tell overall yet however.

Advantages of waterproof....

some things can be waterproof, but not pressurized waterproof, 

On 3/6/2016 at 5:57 PM, argyle said:

Another very important issue for coin hunters with our digitized units is the dreaded bottlecap segmentation and tone issue. Far too many manufacturers units are very bad at differentiating the caps verses coins.

Nokta/Makro are addressing this problem.

A few Minelab units have nice secrets to fully distinguish the problem to a very acceptable level.

And other units have their little tricks too, again to an acceptable level.

Unfortunately the MXSport is a total dud in this regard.

I typically in the past use the cross over point on the DD's to distinguish if its a bottle cap.

Does that not work on the mxsport?

13 minutes ago, MDCHIEFSH said:

I typically in the past use the cross over point on the DD's to distinguish if its a bottle cap.

Does that not work on the mxsport?

We simply raised the coil in the MXS video and called all caps when we did.  Sometimes we forgot and dug them. 

Not a big surprise, DD coils struggle with bottle caps and big DD coils in particular. I guess it all depends on the MX audio and if it can report multiple audio on a single target like a bottle cap, or has more a gated audio that has to decide if the cap is ferrous or non-ferrous and report one way or the other.

I was out park detecting with the Makro Gold Racer yesterday and it features continuous audio reporting. Caps give a mixed report, non-ferrous center with ferrous edges both approaching and leaving the target. My F75 being a gated audio would have called it pure ferrous or pure non-ferrous. Probably non-ferrous with a DD coil but possibly ferrous if using a concentric. Which is why F75 went away to be replaced by Racers.

Sounds like the MX Sport big DD is grabbing the cap holistically when up close and reporting it non-ferrous, but able to discern better when pulled away reducing that all enclosing field effect. In general I always recommend concentrics for dealing with bottle caps so the 950 coil will be a good one to watch for on this. Andy reports the 10 x 6 DD as also handling bottle caps better than the stock coil.

White's got sucked into that more depth is better thing and really started going with big coils, like the 300mm (12") on many models. The MX Sport has an identity crisis going - is it a water machine or a land machine? The big center mount coil is what many people would like for water/beach hunting, but too large really for a lot of other uses. My soil is very magnetite laden and big coils suffer in it, so I prefer smaller coils. 8" is about perfect, but they are hard to get these days so I often run 5" - 6" coils, either round or 5" - 6" wide elliptical coils. I would personally expect the 10" x 5.5" coil to be the best coil on the MX Sport for most of my uses. Which not uncoincidentally may be the best White's coil made for the old MXT also.

khouse,

How does the MXS compare to the AT-Pro? 

It would seem that this is the machine that White's is trying to compete with. I have seen Bill's vids on the AT-Pro so perhaps he would have some experienced in-put on a comparison between the two. Thanks.

Dean

First off the machine is constructed better. Fit and finish is top notch. The display of course is way better. The only program we ran was coin and jewelry and it was on par with the Atpro.  Today I messed with the relic mode on my coin garden and like some others have said it's hotter. I can confirm this.  Just like the MXT owners using the relic mode for coinshooting the MXS excels here as well. I was set at hyperstat and discriminated out foil and tabs set to 8 tones, modulation off. I was able to run sens at 9 to Boost.  Worked great!   Deep with accurate ID. I think some have given up on the MXS without really trying all the modes tweaked to their style of hunting.  As more and more users post their setting we will have more to work with.  Unlike the Atpro the MXS has a lot of options for all to adjust the way they like.