22" GPZ X Coil Concentric Results

@phrunt WOW, that's amazing...gotta make the blood flow, gonna need a bigger pick/backhoe. Love his bungee setup, any idea who makes that? @1515Art I hear you, but the GPZ is still the BEAST, just need some accessories to take the load off your body.:minelab:

Thanks,

Bill

@cobill Yes, his bungy seems good, no idea who makes it but looks like a hip stick from JP on there, his video just popped up at the right time as he just posted it yesterday while this discussion was going, he only bought his 22" inch recently so he's still learning the ways with a Concentric coil as they are different with a 1/3 of the swing overlap being about ideal, less than 1/3 if you're lucky enough to be able to run in normal but it seems he's on top of it already finding that bit which was very faint to start with.

I'm not sure of the 14x13" weight these days, haven't used mine since I got it really but I believe the 22" isn't all that much heavier than the 14x13", maybe 200 grams or so as the 22" is 1500 grams.  I can't easily google the stock coil weight for some reason.   

I talked to them once about weight and there is a fine line between meeting durability requirements and weight, too light and it will be less durable with thinner plastics.

• Like 3

Knowledge of where big gold was found, and access to it is more important than any detecting equipment IMO.

Because you can always just use a mini excavator...

Anyways I finally used the 22" CC today. It's not as heavy as it looks, feels about like the stock coil. I used it in NNV, and the soil is moist here about 3" down, making the GPZ kinda difficult to use since there is heavy salt here. This coil being large makes the salt, as expected, even worse. It's not easy to use, but neither is the 15" CC.

That said, I took it down a wash that once had the nicest crystalline nugget I've ever found. I stupidly sold it for spot, and for years I've taken every single new coil and detector here hoping to find its brother. There are no targets left with any other coil combos.

I found a 0.4 grammer with the 22cc here, but that was all I found. It was 7" deep, an ok target, repeatable but weak. I thought that was crazy good, so I measured in air and it's getting at least 10" on this little crumb in air, but honestly maybe as much as 11 or even 12"?

This thing is crazy sensitive for being that large. I didn't get this coil sent to me for free, I traded for it. This thing would clean up in AZ, its a bit of a struggle in heavy salt in NNV though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got to agree with James Beatty ( page 1 ) in regards HY / Normal. I have been using the 22CC X Coil for about 6 weeks now, had a 17CC previously. They are crazy sensitive for a big coil, with my smallest so far being an 0.17 gram crumb ( pictured ) at 3 inches that gave a nice dig me signal in Normal HY, and was still there in Difficult.

So far I have not found a place around Ararat Victoria that I could not run in Normal, and a number of faint targets in Normal basically disappeared in Difficult.

Moral of the story, run in Normal if you can, only go to difficult if the ground is really bad. In fact, I would rather go to " locate patch " mode and stay in Normal, than go to difficult, which is what I did occasionally in Western Australia !

Just my two bobs worth !

Rick

0.17g 22CC.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I always felt sorry for people that have to run in difficult because of their ground except they tend to have better gold in their ground than I do, the GPZ is such a different detector in difficult even in my mild soils it just feels gutless compared to norrmal.  If the GPZ 8000 has normal performance in difficult ground people are in for a real treat.   If the future pending release of a GPZ 8000 can provide Normal in mild soils results in difficult soils, they're on a winner.

We have some ground here normal is noisy but we put up with it to stay in normal, as going to difficult you may as well go home.  I've had comments on some of my videos you should be in difficult I can hear the ground reacting etc, yet the same nugget I'm recovering using normal in the video I would not find in difficult.

Are you normally able to run in normal in this ground or is the concentric helping with that? I've heard a few say the Concentrics allow them to run in normal when they otherwise couldn't which is odd to me as the Concentrics are spiral coils and usually more sensitive would mean they need toned down but they seem different.

• Like 2

Cobill:

I haven't responded to my thread here recently since circumstance have prevented me from prospecting for over a year - initially saturated flood ground in Victoria and now severe drought conditions on the far south coast of NSW require me to daily drought feed stock for an indefinite period  😞

I think experienced operator Rick has summed up the current X coil CC situation in the field far more adequately than I could currently-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first week the GPZ came out I was posting here about the importance of running in Normal anytime you can. Before Steve's ultra hot settings I was advocating very similar things for quite some time prior - only difference being I prefer to run as hot as possible while still remaining stable because I think EMI is the #1 largest reason targets are missed.

I got told also here among other things back then the first few months the GPZ was released...I believe the phrase was..."running hot is a young man's game". This was in AZ, in soils people want to insist require really conservative timings, but IMO often do not. 🙄 But it's a struggle to get people to listen if you are younger than them, it seems sometimes.

Anyways - in my experience the CCs aren't quieting the soil down for me, but they aren't making it worse either. They definitely are quite a bit deeper. This 22CC + GPZ is by far the deepest setup I've ever run, and I am wondering if it's actually deeper than something like those Mothership drag coil setups people are considering. 

I could detect my Hermit pick at the top of my head (I'm 6ft), and it's quite a lot less metal than a standard pick. I think I could hit it at about bellybutton level or slightly above with the stock coil. This this coil is substantially deeper than the stock, and still very sensitive to crumbs. The next time I use it I am going to have to strip all the metal off my pack (leatherman, crevice screwdriver, etc), not carry my pick around, and see if a bit of the salt signal might actually have been metal on my body.

I tried contacting Chet to see if I could compare to his drag coil setup while I'm in the field but no luck. But my feeling is this may actually be a better option than a drag coil unless a person was using something much larger than the Mothership coil to drag. In salt I'm not confident of that statement though, as it's like night and day going between the GPZ and 6000, the 6000 slays salt and so using a machine like a 4500 or 5000 with the Salt Coarse setting on a drag coil may be interesting in NNV, where I think COBill may be interested in using the drag coil setup? Just using PI in general over ZVT probably deals with salt better.

This is the problem with just going with advice like "SD is better for drags", you really have to tailor your equipment for your individual environment. Australia is not Northern Nevada, etc. Just take stuff out, experiment, and figure out what works best for the environment is always a win.

• Like 4

They also make a 26" Concentric, I think @jrbeatty has one, and a 32" Spiral mono for the older GPX series.

They've sent a few 26"s to Australia although a difficult process, but they're not a coil that is easy to ship because of its size, and 32" is for their part of the world only because of that, the size is just too big to ship.

These big coils are good sellers in their area with the big deep gold and artifacts they can find.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

They also make a 26" Concentric, I think @jrbeatty has one, and a 32" Spiral mono for the older GPX series.

They've sent a few 26"s to Australia although a difficult process, but they're not a coil that is easy to ship because of its size, and 32" is for their part of the world only because of that, the size is just too big to ship.

Correct Simon. 

Haven't had much chance to run the big 26"CC for all the reasons outlined in my earlier post.

When I did use it briefly (in a very wet Victoria) it fully lived up to expectations and scored half an oz or so of mixed size bits - but we need more time together under better conditions to fully understand it's potential before I release a report-

Shipping big coils IS a hassle. Just before Putin's "Special Military Operation" ended direct contact with Russia, Reg and I managed to  send to X Coils Ilya John Hider Smith's 36" spiral wound coil for an assessment.

Costa plenty 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

Just before Putin's "Special Military Operation" ended direct contact with Russia, Reg and I managed to  send to X Coils Ilya John Hider Smith's 36" spiral wound coil for an assessment.

have you had an assessment on that big 36" coil from the x-coil guys