A Little Deeper, A Little Bigger, My Gpx-6000 Nugget

I wanted to share some pics of my last hunt with the GPX-6000 as it was fun to dig a little bigger and deeper gold. 

This site was much different than my previous 2 gold hunts (Success in Dakota & Wyoming) as it produced quite a few hot rocks for a PI detector.  Now yes I can easily spend the time to do the "lift coil as I swing across signal and listen to how fast the signal target dissipates" method (I'll post it later) or I can easily change the multiple of Settings on the GPX-6000 (very confusing detector)🤔 with the 2 timings (Normal or Difficult).  Anyway, I pushed the pad on the LDC screen to DIFF and the hot rocks where gone.  Pretty easy there.  I ran SENS/GAIN at 10 -which is MAX and had THRESHOLD on.

After about 20+ small lead birdshots (this detector is a birdshot king), I get a little stronger-slightly more broad of a signal.  It immediately sparks my interest as it's a big different than the lead pellets.  I book scrape the 1st inch and target is still there, boot another almost inch and still there.  Now I pull the pick and take another 1 1/2" off and now am actually into what I consider virgin layer.  Quick swing and yet the target comes through very easily.  So as to make sure I catch it on video, I hike back to my wheels and grab the cell phone and another water.

Trying to dig with an APEX (best pick on the market in my opinion) in 1 hand and the cell phone in the other, while trying to keep the phone on the hole is harder than you might think.  Probably why so many people don't catch as many live digs, as you really do need a 2nd person to get the quality.  Well no quality here, but I hope the video shows it?

After a few digs, swing, digs swing t test and digs, I finally get the target out of the hole.  I'm really excited at this time and just so sure I have my 1st really nice 1/2" nugget.  The depth of the hole was approx 8" deep, maybe 10", but it was not the 12" I had said in the video as I thought a water bottle was 12" and afterwards my tape showed it to be 8".  But I know the detector easily heard the signal 2 to 4 " above the target before I started digging.

This piece of gold is not a solid 4.5 grammer, but is mostly gold on the one side and host rock on the bottom.  A dense solid nugget of 4.5 grams should easily be able to respond much deeper as I have done it on many older SD/GP and GPX detectors.  

Hope you folks much success this Fall with your detecting adventures and I look forward to seeing your heavy yellow metal digs.

20210821_083459.jpg

20210822_070448.jpg

20210822_070509.jpg

Hey Gerry,

Great looking piece of gold and congrats on your first of many nuggets at depth to be found with the new Minelab GPX 6000.  I wish I had more free time to visit other State's goldfields, hopefully some day when I retire.  Speaking of retirements, what is the secret, "sell more detectors?"  :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing,

Rob

Awesome piece of gold and rock! I watched your video of the dig on Facebook...you actually did great holding phone while digging!👍😊

2 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Speaking of retirements, what is the secret, "sell more detectors?"  :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing,

Rob

That's what Minelab wants us to do.  We talk them up, show them off,  post pics and videos so we can make a few bucks, but in reality they are the ones raking in for retirement.  Oh well, at least we make some money at what we love.

3 minutes ago, IdahoPeg said:

I watched your video of the dig on Facebook...you actually did great holding phone while digging!👍😊

How do I post that video on here as I tried a few times?

It's best to upload it to YouTube and just paste the link to it on here and it will embed itself, I'd like to see the video Gerry.

That's a nice nugget.

Doing a job that's also your hobby and passion is almost as good as being retired and in some ways better as you have access to all of the latest gear!

Retired???? ..... nah nah that`s enough of that chatter, take the T out and add F. ReFired is for us Fired up gold folks/freaks.... 

WTG Gerry.