Website Back In Time ×

When You Find A Really Nice Greenie...

Yowza on that wowza! I've never seen a 2 cent piece, but you got your 2c in ?

That's one of the nicest coins I've seen in a while. ?

• Like 1

For some reason some Indians and 2 cent pieces can take on that beautiful dark emerald green patina. Nothing better than pulling a coin from 1865 and seeing that nice green.

• Like 4

That's a lifetime find there. Well done.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

For some reason some Indians and 2 cent pieces can take on that beautiful dark emerald green patina. Nothing better than pulling a coin from 1865 and seeing that nice green.

schoolofhardNox, i agree on the green tone.  I was just looking back at pictures, and the last really nice green IHC I dug was 1865, too.  Must have been a good year for copper content at the Philly mint.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rod-pa said:

schoolofhardNox, i agree on the green tone.  I was just looking back at pictures, and the last really nice green IHC I dug was 1865, too.  Must have been a good year for copper content at the Philly mint.

I just looked at Breen's book and those two coins used "French Bronze" 95% copper 5% tin and zinc Wheat cents are 95% copper 5% zinc (no tin). So I'm going to assume that the lack of tin had something to do with it? But I have also found old Wheats that had that green, IDK. Soil probably has the most to do with it, but I still find a lot of 2 cent coins that have that green look vs wheat cents.

• Like 2