** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

2 minutes ago, beatup said:

that country sure does look worked over makes me want to swing my detector over it .

Yes, that area was worked. The area east of there is virgin. That's where the Eastern Drift is. 

Its great that you add modern day photos of the area , it really brings the story to life.

How about a photo of each area marked on jeds map if you can pin point each marked area.

I

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Its great that you add modern day photos of the area , it really brings the story to life.

How about a photo of each area marked on jeds map if you can pin point each marked area.

I

I think I have done that over the time of posting but not all at once. Let me see if I can find the photos again and put them all on one post. 

AUGUST 12   1936

Everyone was hooting and hollering and Jack was doing his dance after the weigh. We had 19 ounces to greet our day. The bucket counts are low but the gravels are producing big gold. Jack says we may hit a jackpot at any time. He thinks we are getting close to the bottom. As worn out as we all are now we could hardly wait to get back to digging. 

We once again took our turns with the pick and shovel and bucket hauling. Around mid afternoon we hit some broken shale mixed with gravel not far beneath. I tried to work the drift in width attempting all directions but was stopped out by heavy boulder and country. Jack came in and had a look see. He said we may be near the bottom. There looked to be a lot of gravel there to dig out. I took a bucket of this pay over to the tub and Jack and me panned it out. From one bucket we got what looked to be about a quarter of an ounce. Jack gave me a wink and started to laugh. He said we had hit it. I told Jacob and Will and they were quite happy to say the least. The crew worked hard until nearly dark and we got 103 buckets. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

Some pipe left over from the old timers of the hydraulic mining days of the 1800's.

DSC00016.JPG

A noise caused one of my partners to take cover. Just to the right was a bobcat.

DSC00092.JPG

46 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

That's a close rock slide. I would not like to be close to the large rock while it's moving.🤕

It was actually pretty stable there but agree that rock slides are dangerous. Old mines can be dangerous.