** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

7 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Buy a good bucket and keep it under 90 .

Although , I guess as a singer you COULD lose an arm (but not two, microphone unless you buy Garth's CM 10) or a leg and still be able to sing  !!👍🦽  Maybe make that 75 ? 

Goin' up to the mine for the first trip ? ?  

Those bikes will only go about 75 MPH. They aren't made for highway cruising but are great for back road & trails. I keep it under 50.

On 7/3/2023 at 10:31 PM, GhostMiner said:

Love the old school single cylinder thumper

One of my first bikes back in the day was an old 441 Victor. I swear that if I had tried it would have scaled a straight vertical wall! That bike was full of torque!

50 years ago in PNG I imported this Ossa explorer 250 for riding off track in the "Island of Crocodile gold" Bougainville. It did go up vertical climbs all the time.

img094.thumb.jpg.3a803162cfe405a7a817246d263f014f.jpg

img095a.thumb.jpg.c0a1b226f1d292496b574a88bd9aac78.jpg

Trail 90 for me, that compound low gear makes 4th top out at 20mph.  It can handle very steep slopes and being a step-through makes it easy to bail out when needed! 😆

I recently got a trail capable ebike that I’ve been riding everyday to work, and hope to use for prospecting sometime, so the Trail 90 sits a lot now.

Here's the Royal Enfield Trials bike I have. Very hard to find & my first Enfield. A combination of street & trail. I guess we'd call them a scrambler here in the states. I love mine. 

30 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Here's the Royal Enfield Trials bike I have. Very hard to find & my first Enfield. A combination of street & trail. I guess we'd call them a scrambler here in the states. I love mine. 

Beautiful! I love the older classics. My Trail 90 is a ‘68.

28 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Beautiful! I love the older classics. My Trail 90 is a ‘68.

More fun than mining I think. And definitely more fun than metal detecting which I compare to watching paint dry in slow motion LOL.

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

More fun than mining I think. And definitely more fun than metal detecting which I compare to watching paint dry in slow motion LOL.

What do you think of the Himalayan?  Saw their trials online from Antarctica, it’s a nice looking bike.  How easy are they to get parts for in the states?

11 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

What do you think of the Himalayan?  Saw their trials online from Antarctica, it’s a nice looking bike.  How easy are they to get parts for in the states?

Easy to get parts. They are the new 350 CC. The older 500 Bullets like mine were dropped in 2020 because they couldn't pass emissions. Google for your closest dealer. I have one about 70 miles from where I live. I don't know much about the new 350's except for what i've seen on Youtube. That's a good place to start. I know the 350's were totally new designs in 2022 with way less vibration than the older singles. Mine is like riding a bike from the 1950's but with electronic ignition, fuel injection, & good wiring and NO OIL LEAKS LOL. They are not fast bikes but they are lots of fun with great torque. The 350's require valve adjustments periodicly but the 500's from 2009 & up have hydraulics lifters. 

18 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Easy to get parts. They are the new 350 CC. The older 500 Bullets like mine were dropped in 2020 because they couldn't pass emissions. Google for your closest dealer. I have one about 70 miles from where I live. I don't know much about the new 350's except for what i've seen on Youtube. That's a good place to start. I know the 350's were totally new designs in 2022 with way less vibration than the older singles. Mine is like riding a bike from the 1950's but with electronic ignition, fuel injection, & good wiring and NO OIL LEAKS LOL. They are not fast bikes but they are lots of fun with great torque. The 350's require valve adjustments periodicly but the 500's from 2009 & up have hydraulics lifters. 

Ah, tappets…. Ever read the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

I still have my feeler gauges for adjusting the valves on my ‘68 BMW.  It was fun and relaxing, and very spacious, working on that car’s engine!

Talking about old engines, when you get around to writing again, consider including an introduction of the first  steam donkey to the story!  They were an awesome invention, deadly for many forests in the Sierra. I saw one running once during a demonstration. It was  very loud, made a lot of smoke and steam. That one was stationary, but they told us how the loggers would have it winch itself through the mountains on skids to the next clear cut. Must’ve been ominous to see and hear such a smoke belching monster dragging itself through the forest like that. Most were used for the mines- cutting timber for shoring and water flumes.