Short Beach Hunt - Just Coins

It's been a couple of weeks since I got a chance to go detecting. I've been busy with home projects and we have had a lot more snow and rain than we did last year, and some really cold days on top of it.

Today was forecast to get to 60 degrees, the last snow is still melting so all my farm permissions would be really muddy. I talked with a friend of mine in the Sheriff's department who suggested I try my areas' only public beach, one on the Potomac that faces the Chesapeake. There was rain coming so I only had a short time to get a hunt in so I went up there really not expecting anything.20220203_084807.thumb.jpg.8cdbaf38a8cbaae0cc773f1594160a38.jpg

This beach is really small, 4 of those divided areas in the photo. At low tide it was only about 50' of beach, coincidentally tide was extra low this morning. I should have brought my waders but just went in to the top of my boots, about 15".

Got lots of trash, it almost looks like a mini @schoolofhardNoxpost 😁20220203_145111.thumb.jpg.78e5530d1a218b71633aa733c0465f9c.jpg

Got lots of bottle caps, sinkers, tackle, a toy part, some aluminum, and a broken fillet knife. At least people have less of a chance of getting tetanus or the "creeping crud" particular to this area. 🤗

This is what I expected to find, there's no way people didn't hit this beach before me. However, I didn't come away with just junk:

20220203_182117.thumb.jpg.76a191dac9a09d765c1df1d7df1be212.jpg

Got 3 totally toasted memorials and a 1997 quarter. 🤣 Not much.

The memorials were deep. One was at least 12" down, the rest 8-10". They are thin and mostly unrecognizable except for the center one. These rivers eat these coins. The quarter was at least 8" down, it started as a 15-17 but once I got a scoop or two out it jumped to 30-31.

I did this mostly to test a new pair of noise cancelling headphones that are really good for a very low price:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/17930-another-over-ear-headphone-that-passes-the-aptx-ll-test-with-flying-colors-bargain-updated

It was fun to go to a new place, and I will probably come back with my waders to see if there's anything further out.

20220203_100255.thumb.jpg.fda5e832a4945e158f1bd378278c9fbb.jpg

Settings this trip were park 1/beach 1, sensitivity 24, F2=0. Ground balance was 2 or 3. There was no EMI, and I set recovery speed to 2 on my 600, which means middle. Probably why I found the deep stuff.

It's fun to try something different every now & then.

Your not supposed to copy my trash finds from a beach hunt 😄  Those memorials may be toasty, but they are copper. Where there are copper cents there can be silver too.  Short hunt = 4 coins.... not bad. That's a good ratio.

4 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Your not supposed to copy my trash finds from a beach hunt 😄  Those memorials may be toasty, but they are copper. Where there are copper cents there can be silver too.  Short hunt = 4 coins.... not bad. That's a good ratio.

I need to get my act together and organize my trash. 😁 I guess it will come in time. There were some bits of crab pot in there, not quite as heavy as a lobster pot. One coin per hour. Ehhhh...

What most impressed me was the use of lower recovery speed and how deep the targets were using the 10x5, but the headphones were the focus.

7 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I need to get my act together and organize my trash. 😁 I guess it will come in time. There were some bits of crab pot in there, not quite as heavy as a lobster pot. One coin per hour. Ehhhh...

What most impressed me was the use of lower recovery speed and how deep the targets were using the 10x5, but the headphones were the focus.

I ran my EQ today at a beach and had recovery running at 2 (that's on the EQ 800) It goes deep that way, as long as you swing slower. It also seems to elongate the signal more, which helps hear it in the first place. That's really good depth for a 5x10 coil. Hope you can get back there for another hunt.

Just now, mh9162013 said:

Does your Coiltek coil come with a coil cover? If so, does it come off when using it in the water?

It did, and no because of the zip ties I have holding it on. 🙂 Miserable fit solved 🤗

Wish I could get out there to hunt for a while, between working and cold weather I just haven't had a chance.

The past 2 days have been bad with 12 inches of snow and an inch of ice that mad power go out. We are expecting the power back on sometime next week, so for now we are using the wind generator and a few solar panels.

I hope you have better luck on your next hunt.

4 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Wish I could get out there to hunt for a while, between working and cold weather I just haven't had a chance.

The past 2 days have been bad with 12 inches of snow and an inch of ice that mad power go out. We are expecting the power back on sometime next week, so for now we are using the wind generator and a few solar panels.

I hope you have better luck on your next hunt.

This was not a great hunt for sure. Nothing impressive but the depth I was finding stuff with the 10x5. It was good to get out in the middle of winter and get some photos. That storm is making a lot of people miserable. Sorry you have to go through it. We are just going to get rain that will wash away any remaining snow.

River hunting is all slow motion, much harder work than land at least here.  My hat is off to those that do it a lot. When you get on the beach it's a bit easier unless the sand is wet.