Bone Conductors To Ws6?

Steve Andrews

The WS6 does not have any kind of headphone jack built into it. There is the Clip Jack Adaptor that clips onto the back of the WS6 and provides a 1/8" plug for use with wired headphones. I have also used that adaptor with a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor for headphones with 1/4" plugs. 

The Bone Phones have a waterproofed screw on pinned connector. Right now, it will only attach to the back of the bigger Remote Control at the waterproof pinned port. XP is showing an RC Jack Adaptor for 1/4" to RC waterproof port in the manual but they are not showing a Bone Phone adaptor that goes from the waterproof screw on pinned connector to an 1/4 or 1/8" male plug that could be used to plug into the Clip Jack Adaptor and WS6...........

If you are thinking of using the Bone Phones on land, maybe an aftermarket manufacturer will make an adaptor for Bone Phones to WS6/Clip Jack. Otherwise, I would reverse things if you want to use them out of the water by putting the WS6 on the stem and connect the Bone Phones to the RC and put it in your pocket. You would need the WS6 Support (also in the manual on the accessories page) to attach the WS6 to the shaft.

If you are thinking about using the setup you described in the water, you would have to find someway to get the coil's transmitted signal to the WS6 in your pocket. It has a wireless receiver and so does the main RC. However, as far as I know, the main RC does not have a transmitter. So the WS6 receives its signal directly from the coil.

Hope all of that makes sense

• Like 1

The WS6 support accessory works very well. I have it for my Deus 1 WS4. The WS6 display for target IDs is almost twice as big and the one of the WS4 so it should be really easy to see. That neoprene adaptor is readily available and is well made and inexpensive.

Here is the female fitting you would use to connect the bone phones to, then all you need is a 1/8 jack (fitted) ..if that is what fits the clip that attach's to the puck.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bulgin/PXPPVC08FBF06ACL010PVC?qs=eP2BKZSCXI4YouXyCIVmug%3D%3D

InkedSNAG-0001_LI.jpg

• 2 months later...

Jeff - your answer suggests that the Deus 2 RC can be used as a slave when the WS6 is used as a master? Are there instructions somewhere? 

I could live with that setup. 

I could also live with making an adapter for the bone phones to go to the the WS6. I already attempted to try the bone phones with the nox. It worked with a small amp, but there still wasn't enough power to make the phones usable. In any case, I have that adapter built.

I took the Deus 2 out for a field test with the bone phones today, and found recovery difficult being tethered to the machine. Had to continually adjust the bone phones on my head. Need a solution that allows me to wear them and view the VDI.

I'm moderately hearing impaired, and the only solution I've found is to wear over the ear phones and wrap my hearing aids in small balloons so I don't short them out when I start to perspire. It's not the best, but it works. 

Thanks!

On 2/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

The WS6 support accessory

Hey Jeff,

Aren't the WS4 Clip Jack Adaptor and Support also for the WS6? It's easier to find them that way, and seems to be the case. 🙂

21 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Hey Jeff,

Aren't the WS4 Clip Jack Adaptor and Support also for the WS6? It's easier to find them that way, and seems to be the case. 🙂

They are interchangeable between the WS4 and WS6. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seandub said:

Jeff - your answer suggests that the Deus 2 RC can be used as a slave when the WS6 is used as a master? Are there instructions somewhere? 

Yeah, jumped in here a little late.  There are a couple of issues with what folks are suggesting here.

First, the WS6 cannot be used as a Master (for TID indication and coil control) with the RC acting as a slave whose sole purpose is to run the bone phones   Just no provision for that setup whatsoever from what I can tell, and I did look into tge possibility of doing that..

Second, even if you could fashion a home-brew adapter to enable the Bone Phones to be terminated with a 1/8 inch plug, one must be mindful of the fact that XP has implemented the bone phones to be optimized solely for use with the RC using the dedicated "bone phone" audio pins on the multipin connector that are separate from the "standard" audio pins.  These pins appear to "hard key" the bone phones to shift the RC into "bone phone" mode which keeps the user from selecting PWM audio on the remote and it appears the remote also likely shifts into higher audio amplification and/or impedance matching as evidenced by the increased power drain when using the bone phones.  By fashioning the the bone phones to plug into a 1/8 jack off the WS6 or via the 1/8" jack adapter plugged into the remote control, that hard keyed limitation is effectively bypassed and I am not sure of the downside to using the bone phones in that manner (e.g., poor audio fidelity, insufficient bone phone amplification).  Who knows? 

• Like 1