Hats Available For Distribution :

Hats now available for distribution.   If anyone is interested, PM me to arrange.  $20 each, to cover our cost & shipping.

This is the brain-child of a local friend of mine : "Aaron".  Initially in response to a "Karen" type ranger, who had questioned a few guys md'ing on a certain beach in our area.  But once he pushed back with the "lead removal" retort, the lady ranger seemed satisfied.    We got a good laugh out of that.  So the idea of the hat was born.    

And strangely enough, at another beach, a month or two later, it actually came in handy :  Because it turns out, a nature-lover Sierra club hippy-type griped that our detecting on a low tide bedrock  surface, was harming the Sea Anemones, or kelp, or whatever.   But we pointed to the hat, showed them a handful of sinkers, and explained that we were doing a volunteer lead removal service for the wildlife.  The person brightened up , and began to praise our efforts !  Brilliant

Not sure about other parts of the USA, but where we're at, has various self-appointed "nature monitor" types.   Who will chide you if they think you're bothering mating sea-lions.  Or if you're harming the ice-plant, blah blah.   And then of course any archie-minded ranger types who might think we're bumping into cultural heritage issues on the beach (which, thankfully, has never gained traction on state-of-CA ocean beaches)  

And it's actually a truism that :  Lead is bad for the environment.   A quick google search shows this.  This is why, for example, lead bullets are outlawed for certain types hunting now.  And why, for example, construction/demolition sites (building tear-downs) can be required to have hazmat measures, if inspectors think they've found lead in the soil.   

So let's all help our planet !  We're not out for old coins or jewelry.   NNNeeeooohh.  Those are only the pesky objects that get in the way of our lead sinker abatement objective.    If you're interested in getting some of these hats :  PM me.  

3.jpg

1.jpg

That's great and I would get one..BUT I don't live in California and it wouldn't work in my state with California written on it.

Maybe another version that is more generic with no state mentioned, maybe a federal/national agency, like "National Lead Abatement Collective"

8 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

That's great and I would get one..BUT I don't live in California and it wouldn't work in my state with California written on it.

Maybe another version that is more generic with no state mentioned, maybe a federal/national agency, like "National Lead Abatement Collective"

Yes.  That just occurred to me, after I'd posted the shameless pitch, that there's folk across the nation that chime in here.  Doh !

Ok:  If there is enough demand from other states : We can do the next run with a change of state name, to fit your state. Or we'll do a run where the word "California" is dropped.

54 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

How about FEDERAL Lead Abatement Collective? 

That sounds for more "official" ha ha

48 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Yes.  That just occurred to me, after I'd posted the shameless pitch, that there's folk across the nation that chime in here.  Doh !

Ok:  If there is enough demand from other states : We can do the next run with a change of state name, to fit your state. Or we'll do a run where the word "California" is dropped.

And don't forget us Australian,s . No forget it the $20 would not get anywhere near the shipping cost. 😉 You could mod your design and make it removal or "heavy metals" that would get the "prospectors" in the loop.   

And a funny "aha moment" occurred the other day when Brian (cal cobra) and I were on the beach :   I normally don't chit-chat with passerbys.   If you get the "what are you finding ?" question, I just say "a few pennies" and ignore them.  And I would assume that the only reason to point to the hat, is if someone is griping for some reason.

HOWEVER :  Our two friends Aaron and Mark (who were wearing the hats this day) would gleefully point to their hats, and show a few sinkers from their aprons.   And I figured that any passerby would "see right through that" and know that we're joking.  BUT SURPRISINGLY people never questioned it.   They were praising us.  At first I thought "oh they're just joking around too".  But then it became apparent that this noble cause was not doubted in the slightest.

It was an eye-opener as to how good these hats could potentially be.

Great hat Tom! Looking forward to seeing the generic hats. Hope ya do a camo one 🤔 😀

I'm thinking y'all could do one that mentions Tetanus too, for all the hooks, nails, sharp metal and crab/lobster pots we dig out there... 🤣