Standing Liberty Quarter-a Days Wage For A Miner In 1930

I found this 1930 Standing Liberty Quarter while nugget shooting in a small saddle overlooking Placerita creek near Wagoner, AZ. Although It was tarnished, it appeared to be in pristine condition showing little or no wear.  I looked up miner's wages for Placerita Creek in 1930, which was the first year of the Great Depression. They were paid .25 cents a day, so the person who lost the quarter, lost a day's pay!

I couldn't help but feel compassion for the miner wondering what the impact on his family had been. So, to all the miners, prospectors and gold hunters who venture forth in pursuit of their golden dreams:  May your pokes always be full, and may your pockets never have holes in them! 

1831976431_STANDINGLIBERTYQUARTER.JPG.9b8d2e0e0683c619538472cbe91cece2.jpg

REVERSE.JPG.4217dad40912c770e5409a92392fd7a2.jpg

Geez man they got ripped off. My Grandpa worked in the Park City silver mines and was paid $3.50 a day. That was during the depression too.

14 minutes ago, abenson said:

Geez man they got ripped off. My Grandpa worked in the Park City silver mines and was paid $3.50 a day. That was during the depression too.

25 cent a day in 1930 was federal minimum wage, the average starting wage for a common laborer in 1930 was 43 cents a day, skilled laborers and or professionals would make much more.

21 minutes ago, abenson said:

Not the same kind of mining, more like basic pick and shovel work.  I think they were just glad to have a job . . . 

Knowing the history makes that find special.

That's in great shape. Nice find. I haven't found one of those yet.

Ok I got that wrong it was $3.25 a day. Below is a page from my grandmother's written history. Says most were paid $2.75 a day. But yea that quarter isbin great shape 

20220305_163126.thumb.jpg.235333434955692cb7325967119a13d0.jpg

3 hours ago, abenson said:

Ok I got that wrong it was $3.25 a day. Below is a page from my grandmother's written history. Says most were paid $2.75 a day. But yea that quarter isbin great shape 

20220305_163126.thumb.jpg.235333434955692cb7325967119a13d0.jpg

Thanks for sharing. American families went through very hard times back then. I can relate to much of what you posted in my own family's history. 

Beautiful find, and nice to hear about history from those times.

Good luck on your next outing.