White's MX Sport - Sweet Home, We Have A Problem

They have stepped up to the plate and found themselves (from what I was told yesterday) neck deep in alligators. That is very hard to do that far west, but this massive influx of returned items and limited personal to handle the load has resulted in a highly confused situation. It appears that their announced two week turn around may have to be stretched out somewhat. There are eastern dealers that have no idea that there has ever been a problem with the MXS and are totally surprised to hear about it. This is a minor area but Whites should have made it a priority to notify those dealers and have un sold stock returned for the upgrade to keep loyal customers from going through this manufactured ordeal. The product learning curve has moved to the manufacturing side of the house now. 

@ Paul(CA). Like you I wanted this machine to be the best because it is a Whites, But the first kick in the pants was the Headphone socket, From that moments on I watched very closely because I knew that the person doing the designing was not a 100% detector user, Then I saw some finds posted that and we were supposed to say WOW how cool, and to be honest those finds could have been found with a Magnet or a go-find etc,

Then the stupid video's came out and I saw the mistakes in the video's including the setting up of the other machines, Which I doubt that anyone here notice the mistakes, I could list them but whats the point, people are doing their best to post video's try to show us what a wonderful machine the MX-S is and the only thing It has that is good is it can Swim,, I have followed people using all the latest and best machines and I can still dig what they walked over, The hype that came out before this machine was released was way bigger than it's abilities, It offers Nothing apart from being waterproof and that is Still a subject to be Proven. by Tried and Tested People and until then all these video's about it just prove all the more that this is not the machine that we were told about.

John

4 minutes ago, bowwinkles said:

They have stepped up to the plate and found themselves (from what I was told yesterday) neck deep in alligators. That is very hard to do that far west, but this massive influx of returned items and limited personal to handle the load has resulted in a highly confused situation. It appears that their announced two week turn around may have to be stretched out somewhat. There are eastern dealers that have no idea that there has ever been a problem with the MXS and are totally surprised to hear about it. This is a minor area but Whites should have made it a priority to notify those dealers and have un sold stock returned for the upgrade to keep loyal customers from going through this manufactured ordeal. The product learning curve has moved to the manufacturing side of the house now. 

I agree the whole lot should have been returned and fixed, But to guarantee sales they left them in the shops so now the Buyer has to Bugga around for yet another 2 weeks before they can use it,, Never mind about keeping the production line running, The Priority should be focused on those units that have already been sold, This Give Us your Money and then we will fix Attitude Sucks, I don't want to buy a new machine and then get it repaired, I want to buy it and go detecting Bugga that farting about. 

I'd bet a lot were returned for update by dealers.  I would if I were a dealer that looks out for their customers best interest.

I think it's time to start a new thread for those that have gotten their machines back from White's and want to report on its performance good or bad. 

This thread is done for me.

Tom

I was done with it Too, but people keep making excuses or making stupid Video's, The difference is I am saying what I think or what others won't say, And folks need to realize that they won't get anywhere with their misplaced loyalty, I have been a Champion for Whites for many years and spent a small fortune doing so, and all I got was BS. 

13 hours ago, Paul (Ca) said:

All is not lost, while I wait for my MX Sport delivery, Still have a few White's BFO models to use this weekend, and one of them is the first BFO model White's made before the White's Electronics name. Still works, 67.5 volts and two 1.5 volt batteries powers the heavy beast. The others came after, but still a joy to use.

Paul,

Those old White's detectors look like they just came off the showroom floor.  Reminds me of the old cars folks take to the car shows, all painted up and look like new many in the original paint etc.  And they still work!  That's a tribute to your care and to whites and the way they built their early detectors.  Looks like owners wore out before the detectors did!

9 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

One day I was out Ridge Running and I look down from my Ridge to see a new MX Sport. I could see it was in Roughwater but was told it's waterproof. A Gambler as I am jump into the Roughwater and pull the MX Sport back up on my Ridge.

This story has happy ending.

Oh it was Roughwater but I glad I took a Gamble being the Gambler that I am. Before long I'll be back on my Ridge hunting with my MX Sport.

Okay Roughwater and Gambler both of you need to get your feet wet and buy yours.

Chuck

We are all dreamers.  

My father mostly fished for catfish, channel catfish.  He was very patient.  He used a zebco 303, that was made with metal back then.  He used 6lb test mono and a small treble hook, no weight.  He would form a little ball of catfish charlie on the hook and cast it out on the bottom.  He would wait till he got a bite which some days could be an hour or more.  But he caught catfish from the bank when no one else was catching anything.  I think to be a detectorist you have to be like a fisherman, always have that hope that the big one will come along one day.  I think we have that same hopeful mentality, that a nugget or maybe that rare coin or gold ring is our prey will be our catch of the day.  Our brain though is part of the equation and not just the equipment we use so whether we have a 303, a fly outfit, a caster, spinning or cane pole we adjust our style and can still catch fish.  But we do tend to settle on one style more than others that we feel fits us or we feel is the most efficient for the money we are willing to pay.  My dad was completely happy with his 303 but some might feel the need for that 200 dollar tournament casting reel. Where am I going with this?  I don't have a clue, I'm 66 and allowed to ramble a bit.  :blink:   

Right now my Eye is kinda fixated on the Racer 2 but I can be swayed.  I do like it that the sport is waterproof as I will eventually use the detector I buy at the beach some.  I know too I will be tempted to do some wading with the detector and that law of nature that says "if it can happen it will happen" means I will dunk the detector in the water at least once so that water proof feature of the sport attracts me.  But right now I am thinking the Racer 2 has an edge in everything else I might use it for.  I have the cash right now for a detector in that price range and I'm itching a bit but resisting the the urge to scratch, for now. 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 3 weeks later...

I have my eye on the mx sport. I know they corrected an issue and was wondering what the latest opinion on this machine is? I need to replace my 16 year old xlt that gave up the ghost last week and appreciate any advice, I hate the at pro! I bought one for my wife and have had nothing but trouble from day one.

I still follow developments on the MX Sport on various forums out of curiosity. Bottom line is if you need a unit waterproof to ten feet there are not many to choose from and the MX Sport is one of the very few possibilities. Or perhaps you just like rain proof and being able to rinse off a dirty detector. If you do want to use it in the water then as a single frequency machine I would recommend it more for fresh water than salt water use. The MX Sport by all accounts gets very good depth in mineralized ground. That said, if you do not NEED waterproof than there are options with better coil selections available and for less money, like White's very own MXT.

Personally I am not convinced the firmware tweaking is over, but you can rest assured White's will back you up if you do have issues with the machine.

Firmware has been solid for a while now. No changes since "the fix."

We will always try to offer a wide selection of coils for our detectors. So far for the Sport we have the 10" DD, 6x10 DD, 9.5 Concentric, and have been listening to customer requests on other options they need. Hint hint.

The MXT is a solid choice, and you wouldn't go wrong with it if you don't need a waterproof machine. It's also great if you prefer old-school pots and switched instead of slim profile buttons.

Another option is we can repair your XLT. Every day I see old Coinmasters, Eagles, and other classics down in repair. The guys will take care of your machine top to bottom. Sometimes it's hard to say goodbye to an old friend, but you don't always have to!