Legend Performance

cjc

4 tones. 1st tone break is 10 or 11. VDI go's to 60 and the rest of the breaks are divided amongst them. It's the factory tones and breaks. I think eventually I'll know what's a salt chirp and what's a target to re-check better. 

Have you noticed this problem with the target ID's changing when changing modes?

I haven’t noticed this issue on my Legend but I haven’t updated it yet. Bill set up some single frequency user profiles from what I understand. That may have something to do with it along with the blurb in the manual which says something like when you turn off and turn back on the Legend, the settings will default to the last user profile used before turning off. As far as I have experienced so far, the Legend in Multi has “normalized” target IDs. In single frequency they are not normalized from what I have seen. The same happens on the Equinox from my experience.

CJC,

Have you had any luck with getting any CDN clad with your Legend?  I love my Nox, but can not find any clad, loonies or toonies with it.  Although coins are not my primary reason to MD, but it's always nice to come back from a day of detecting with a couple bucks in change at the very least. 

Wasn't sure if it is a limitation of the Nox, or something more specific to Multi frequency detectors. 

Thanks in advance. 

When I was new to detecting I thought my metal detectors were rubbish as their Target ID's on most of of common coins were all over the place, bouncing around like mad into the iron numbers, only our $1 and $2 coins had reliable target ID's so that confused me.

Later I found out New Zealand's $1 and $2 coins are minted by the Royal Mint in the United Kingdom. The 10 cent, 20 cent and 50 cent coins are minted by the Royal Canadian Mint.

The UK made coins have nice stable Target ID's, the Canadians make coins very unfriendly to metal detectors 🙂 If I want to dig our 10, 20 and 50 cent coins I find the most bouncy of Target ID's and dig them, they're more likely the coins than most junk although I don't really bother, I just target the $1 and $2, the only worthwhile modern currency for me to bother digging here.

I have done some R&D, and our coins are basically made from garbage ;).  The Equinox does do well on older coins, as they were made from quality metals at the time. 

That being said.  My Kruser, or my dads AT Max, simplex, fisher.  All give nice, solid diggable chimes when hitting modern Canadian coins.  The Equinox however does not ever give a signal that you would want to dig.  I have spent time trying to figure out the nuances of our coins with the Nox, and it results in digging up way too much junk.  You basically have to dig any repeatable sound.  Regardless of how it sounds or what VDI numbers you are getting. 

With the two new flagship MFD out, and seeing how they both seem to be holding up well.  If one of them can also do Canadian clad, it most likely would be worth a purchase for me.