Got My Deus 2 Today, Short Hunt In Hammered Area

Took a 2 hour one way drive to the nearest detector store in my state this morning to pick up my Deus 2 with the 9" coil. He had 10 yesterday, looks like they have been flying out the door. While they were going through it with me (and why I strongly recommend going to a dedicated retailer) another guy came in and walked out with one.

To give it a true run for my money, I went to the hill behind my house that I have pretty much beaten to death with my Equinox.20220330_180214.thumb.jpg.830956b6a4fcf258886c8f83dc328682.jpg

Wasn't too bad a day, almost 60. Comfortable for detecting.

There's a concept called the "30 minute curse", you find great stuff in the first 30 minutes and then - nothing. 😵 That's what happened today. I really didn't expect to find much especially because it's my first outing with a new detector, but I came away happy, I don't regret buying it at all.

This is all I got in about 3.5 hours, but one of the targets was kind of a shock. This is what they looked like fresh out of the ground:20220330_164358.thumb.jpg.0b89edc4fcec7d6520bd437953f9c16f.jpg

got another old spoon like I dug last time, a 1923 Rogers "Manchester" and a tiny pin. It looked like it was plated but the more I cleaned it the golder it got!

20220330_194843.thumb.jpg.a8bf9a77cda96dcf42d41b6cf4f630bf.jpg20220330_194751.thumb.jpg.e5aea345cd2b0d5f6806b8e29c78aaa8.jpg

It has no hallmarks but neither did the 10k ring I dug here. This does appear to be well plated, maybe it's solid.

Do I like the Deus 2? Very much. 🙂 It's light, ergonomic, solid as a rock with the 9" coil. I don't even mind the WS6 backphones, they are comfortable enough.

Best stuff about it is it's as stable as everyone has written, it's not subject to much EMI. I went over a buried power line and heard it thankfully, but as soon as I was past it it went silent again.

The dealer put 3 custom programs in it adapted from the Deus 1, I tried their "Sifter" program, which was designed for Colonial digs. The demo showed it finding a brass object with 4 metal screws on top. They have a special "Deep" program, and one called "Sonar", that makes the 9" act like a 15". Weird. These guys in the shop are all hardcore relic hunters.

I mostly used "Deep HC" or deep high conductor. I liked the tones and that's how I found both my targets. All I did was crank sensitivity to 95 from 90. It was quiet and stable but did false on big iron. Far less noise than the Equinox.

Going to hit the river with it Friday, we're supposed to get an extraordinary low tide.

There is a lot to learn! Whole new concept for me.

Enjoy. Learning a new detector is fun & makes you a better hunter with your old ones.

WTG on the new detector BG,

Love to see your progress in the hobby! Since I haven't had much time to hunt, i'm living through you, and others! Can't wait to see what the year brings for you; and us watching! Keep up the good work!!👍👍

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

WTG on the new detector BG,

Love to see your progress in the hobby! Since I haven't had much time to hunt, i'm living through you, and others! Can't wait to see what the year brings for you; and us watching! Keep up the good work!!👍👍

Thanks JD, glad you're still around! 👍 Hope ya get settled and out there. Can't wait to try "A Salt Weapon" at the beach. 😀 It'll be good to get out of the Mid Atlantic wind for a week. I never thought the weather would be more fickle or brutal than New England. At least it's a bit warmer.

It feels really good to have a top-tier detector. The weight alone is a great plus. The amount of ways you can mess it up is staggering but I'll get used to it, MI-6 pinpointer coming today. Sadly I do think I pretty much wiped Mason Jar Hill out with the Equinox, but we will see, and if I get one more coin out of the river it will be glorious albeit toasted. The only metal that really seems to last around here is gold.

9 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks JD, glad you're still around! 👍 Hope ya get settled and out there. Can't wait to try "A Salt Weapon" at the beach. 😀 It'll be good to get out of the Mid Atlantic wind for a week. I never thought the weather would be more fickle or brutal than New England. At least it's a bit warmer.

It feels really good to have a top-tier detector. The weight alone is a great plus. The amount of ways you can mess it up is staggering but I'll get used to it, MI-6 pinpointer coming today. Sadly I do think I pretty much wiped Mason Jar Hill out with the Equinox, but we will see, and if I get one more coin out of the river it will be glorious albeit toasted. The only metal that really seems to last around here is gold.

Lynchburg, Mechanicsville or Manassas? All folks I have known for up to 40+ years.

3 minutes ago, George Kinsey said:

Lynchburg, Mechanicsville or Manassas? All folks I have known for up to 40+ years.

The dealer? Mechanicsville. I'm up near the Potomac, so everything is a long drive. 😀 I imagine the same for you. They should call Virginia The Long Drive State.

It's nice to have a dealer that does nothing but detectors.

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

The dealer? Mechanicsville. I'm up near the Potomac, so everything is a long drive. 😀 I imagine the same for you. They should call Virginia The Long Drive State.

It's nice to have a dealer that does nothing but detectors.

Yep. JJ is my guy now. Just 30 minutes down 295.

Yeah.  Deep HC is the way to go in your neck of the woods, Bob.  I've found it works great even in thick iron as our hunts together have shown.  With time, you will be able to audibly discern the tells on big iron and flat iron.  Pitch tones helps on that as it can help you trace a target footprint as well as give you a combined iron and non-ferrous tone. At this point, stick with Deep HC and experiment with the various audio options (3,4, or 5 tones vs. Pitch vs. Full tones).  For full tones, if you want to hear the iron, you need to lower disc to at least zero or slightly negative (I use -2.0) as there is no iron volume in FT. 

Pro Tip:  Save your favorite "search" program to a custom slot (say the stock Deep HC program unmodified in slot 15).  Then save a variant of that program in an adjacent custom program slot (say Deep HC with Pitch audio tones in slot 16) and if desired "full tones" variant in another slot (perhaps the slot BEFORE your "go to" main search program in Slot 14).  Then when you hit a target you can cycle between the different programs using the +/- Keys to see how different the target sounds with the various audio setups.  I call this interrogating the target and it can potentially unmask big falsing iron or give you other insights as to your dig decision.  You can also use this approach to set up different program groups.  Say for instance a deep group with reactivity set low or a thick iron group with reactivity set high and sensitivity set lower to keep the iron from overloading the coil as you are going for the shallower "un-masked" non-ferrous (that's the fast Sifter program which "unmasks" the non-ferrous).

At the beach, different story, obviously.  You'll be using Beach, Beach Sensitive or Beach P (Beach sensitive with Pitch tones).  But you can also set up a beach group for beach target interrogation.

The possibilities are endless, limited only by the custom slots.

JMO but those old school "Sonar", "Deep" programs were great on the mono frequency Deus 1 but FMF Sort of makes them irrelevant, unless EMI or something compels you to have to go with a monofrequency setup (e.g., you want to use 4 khz to punch as deep as possible or you want 40 khz to sift for microjewelry).  For example, Deep HC seems to render the Deep program irrelevant because the Deus 1 Deep program relied on a Deus 1 unique Deep target, mono frequency signal processing mode.

Congrats and please leave something in the ground for me to dig on my next visit down south, will ya.  :laugh:

39 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

So it's hunted out because all you found was gold and a silver spoon ?😏

Yep... 😁

Nah, but the pickin's are slim, masked, or too deep for the Equinox. 🙂 That poor spoon was harshly corroded, it was under a couple of bricks. Broke in two in my bag.

I was hoping the Deus would "reopen" some of my more visited areas, and wasn't disappointed. 🙂