Fun Impromptu Beach Hunt With A Forum Member

Wasn't expecting this, but a forum member, @dogodog, texted me and said he was going to take a vacation about 2 hours from me and invited me to hunt the local beach. 

Got there at 8, he was there with his wife and a few other friends. He had made breakfast and invited me to join them, nice 👍 they were renting a house for a few days to catch an air show and get beach time. While we were out detecting we got a bit of a show from the Blue Angels and other aircraft:20220918_153254.jpg.946d0b040d7662bf026ea505c9af120e.jpg

20220918_153255.thumb.jpg.a629942fb28b50823ba0f904c29c30e6.jpg

At one point we were watching the planes and got swamped by a wave 🤣

It was an incredibly nice day, pretty much everything event-wise is over at this beach as of Saturday, when we got there it was pretty empty but got busy later, surprising for a Sunday.20220918_083906.thumb.jpg.498742aa8501a60899c2e49f6d20f618.jpg

20220918_083856.thumb.jpg.d6efba6b6fd9d7151122aead2b4b6af1.jpg

I brought my Deus 2 to give it a real big beach run, I thought it would be better there with EMI than my Equinox, but found out that as long as we weren't too near the hotels it was quiet.

We started out walking the surf line, the tide was coming in but we're got a chance at some low spots. The beach had been dragged earlier in the morning, we thought with the sifting machine but were later told by someone informed that they just bladed it. We really didn't find much along the surf, and ran into a few other detectorists. Pretty much everyone was saying there wasn't much out there, we were finding pennies and then I got a penny signal and was surprised to dig this copper junk ring:20220918_114643.thumb.jpg.966c3eeafd201f47c8d46491d6fbbd3c.jpg

That gave us some hope. Turns out we are both pretty hardcore hunters, but stayed together for the most part to shoot the bull, seems we have a lot in common. 😀 One thing for sure is we both enjoy talking with people. We ran into a lot of nice folks there!

Here's the total for me, kinda disappointing we didn't get more jewelry. It was ironic that Jamie was finding mostly pennies, he sure made up for it later. 🤔20220918_210208.thumb.jpg.49f92da84e774f3b9930130488324fe7.jpg

32 coins and the ring. $3.21. we got up higher on the beach later in the day and found a lot more coins.

Overall it was a memorable day, a real blast, and I have a true friend. 🙂 I can't thank him enough for inviting me. I'd do it again at a moments' notice.

13 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Looks like a fun hunt! That's one of the cool things about detecting, many times it's not about what you find, but who you find. 😎

I'm finding that. Not a big fan of the city we went to (I'm no stranger to cities but revere my rural home), but the company was excellent and those we met along the way were more pleasant than usual.

We both thought we might wipe each other out, but neither of us wanted to stop. 😀 Ended up being nearly 8 hours out there with few breaks. My kind of hunting!

All I can say is What a great time I had detecting with you Bob. Its not very often and almost never that you run into a person that has so many of the same thoughts, values and drive. You are for sure the first person to keep pace with me. If I didn't know better You might be my long lost brother. The real story is I was hoping to slow you up with breakfast HaHa. You were pretty much kicking my ass with the Quarters and dimes, while I was just finding the dreaded Penny's. Damn I thought that ring was rose gold. Deep too  rang in on the 800 as a 8-9, For the most part I think we were doing way better than the other detectorist's. Not sure I saw one dig anything. The end of the day yielded a little sparkle and a few more clad. The older fella with the MXT was a hoot, he had a bunch of great stories about CW finds and couldn't believe how light your D2 was. A good 25 people stopped us and were interested in what we found, I hope a few of the people we talked with give detecting a try.  Overall I think we did pretty well for 8+ hours, We each got a pocket full of change, Traded secrets on detecting, Had a lot of laugh's and became really good friends. This is what life is about. Sometimes you trip up on treasure that isn't buried by sand or dirt. I'm thankful to call you my friend. Oh and you forgot your my pretty pony lip gloss!!!

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

4 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Oh and you forgot your my pretty pony lip gloss!!!

Damn, and I had that in a zipper pocket.

Thanks for posting a fairly flattering photo of me, looking up stretches my jowls. 🤣 And neck. 

Hope that chain turns out to be solid gold, pretty sure it is, it was heavy enough. You were digging too many pennies, although it looks like I got more anyway 😀 that was your karma payoff man! Good on ya for thinking "outside the box" as it were. The story behind that broken chain might be a good one.

Haven't had that much fun well, in a long while. 😁 Seriously a great time.

BTW it's a tradition to kiss your first coin and relic or jewelry, keeps your immune system hot. 🤪 Any time you're in the area I'm game for hunting.

The beach sure is not my game, But I'll take a bunch of laughs over gold any day!!

Sounds like the 2 of you had a really nice hunting session with something to show for your hard work.

Just for the people who don't know what you look like please tell me who is on the right side and who is on the left side in the picture.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Great thread guys, good to see you both having some fun and a few finds to go with it.   It's a shame they ruined that beach with those ugly awful bland buildings along the length of it.

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Sounds like the 2 of you had a really nice hunting session with something to show for your hard work.

Just for the people who don't know what you look like please tell me who is on the right side and who is on the left side in the picture.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks VL, James is right about gold and friendship. I'm both the ugly mug on the right and the shadowy figure at the surf line. 😀 He was lucky some good looking guy showed up to take his place. Best to shoot into the sun the second time so you don't crack your lens! 🤣

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Great thread guys, good to see you both having some fun and a few finds to go with it.   It's a shame they ruined that beach with those ugly awful bland buildings along the length of it.

Thanks Simon! Yeah, it's literally a mile or more of ugly sardine cans. Not very pretty but packs 'em in. 😀 Odd that we didn't find much at all near the Hilton but that's probably where everyone starts.20220918_134033.thumb.jpg.d19ce8fd844b6a6b74cd648f132817a1.jpg

They do have this cool Poseidon statue. That guy wouldn't get out of the way but it does show the scale. 🤬