One Ring, Two Ring, Another Good Day

Sunday usually is a day for yard work and other stuff before going back to the grind of work. I woke up early at 3:45 am and planned my day. Mowing, garage cleaning and a trip to Lowes. By 1:30 pm I was done my list and felt the urge to hit my go to hunted out spot, which still keeps on giving. My goal/plan was to dig as many gold signals as possible but still dig any other good target along the way. So I told the wife I was headed out to do a couple of hours. I decided to hunt a tiny baseball field for kids that really only produced clad and a few rings over the years. . Yup clad again but around 2:00 I got a nice solid silver tone, Not positive it was silver because I was running the 800 in 40 Khz and have been just getting the hang of some of the tone and number nuances. Digging commenced and out popped a cheesy 1980's silver/turquoise ring, I'll take it. A few more swings and out came a Kennedy 1/2 dollar. Its the first in quite a while. More foil, more foil and no gold later I abandoned the ball field to hunt near the early house on the property. More clad, more foil, No gold and time closing in on my couple hour hunt. At this point I decided to swing along the flagstone walk from the house to the large driveway. I've hit this at least 4 times in the past. I got to the very end and hit on an odd 20-23 tone that was kinda shallow. Expecting a crap penny I was surprised to see a copper ring and an old one at that. I decided to call it a day at that point and not get too greedy and save a few targets for another day.

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

10 minutes ago, dogodog said:

I got to the very end and hit on an odd 20-23 tone that was kinda shallow. Expecting a crap penny I was surprised to see a copper ring and an old one at that.

Decent finds for a 2 hour hunt, dogo, although not quite up to your standards.  😄  Are you sure that ring is copper?  I would have expected copper to be in the 30's and even brass higher than low 20's.  (I'm not much of a jewerly detectorist, though, so keep that in mind.)  Don't throw it in the recycle bin until you've checked it out more!

Nice little hunt for a short time swinging the detector, but if you actually found some foil where is it. I don't think you actually got any for that short of a hunt and would really have liked to of seen it.

Just kidding you and good job on the rings.

Good luck on your next outing.

Oh I got plenty of foil, I just chose not to cloud the photo and embarrass myself HaHa!!!

Chuck, The ring looks like it could have a tin coating on it, definitely not silver or gold plated. Also could be a brass ring. It's a keeper for me.

3 hours ago, dogodog said:

The ring looks like it could have a tin coating on it,...

Ok, maybe nickel plated?  White gold plated?  Back before the pandemic I got to detect an 1850's homestead.  I found something similar (I figured copper but couldn't see a coating -- maybe long gone) and I thought it was possibly a child's toy.  But the lady who owned the house said she thought it was an actual wedding band.  Makes sense that not everyone then (or now) could afford a solid gold alloy ring but still wanted the 'connection' that comes with such mementos.  Kinda the early version of today's tungsten or titanium wedding bands?

If it's copper but with a nearly imperceptible break (e.g. where it had been soldered), wouldn't that make it dTID lower than a similar composition ring with an intact conductive path?

Nice haul Dogo! You're doing well with single 40 kHz. I tried it yesterday and its pretty noisy in my soil, but the wide open multi you suggested is very eye (and  ear) opening!

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

If it's copper but with a nearly imperceptible break (e.g. where it had been soldered), wouldn't that make it dTID lower than a similar composition ring with an intact conductive path?

Well I cleaned it up early this morning (5:00 am) Pretty sure its a wedding band. On the outside there are no signs of plating, however on the inside it does look to have a slight edge of plating. I hit it with a little 0000 steel wool, There is a bit of shine but not like gold for sure. Possibly a silverish tint, No clue.  As for the solder theory, there are no visible solder joints under magnification. I used no water on clean up. I just used green rouge and a buffing wheel at 1725 rpm. I kinda like it so I did not dare take it to bare metal. I Ran it by the 800 again, it comes up a solid 23 on my driveway. I tested brass, phosphor bronze, not even close. I'm guessing the plating whatever it is is skewing the numbers up. I need to look up the history of ring plating and see if it was common in the mid 19th century.