A Fortunate Find After An Unfortunate Start

19 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

How deep was yours? 

About 4-6", it had a piece of perforated metal in the hole with it, so I got 16/17/18 - iron. I found the perforated piece later because chasing a Trime in dirt takes a while. 😀 Since my first one I always dig that ID pattern, usually junk. Other old silver hits that pattern sometimes too.

Too bad for the condition of that token.  3 1/2 cents?

The reverse is identical, it's in the same orientation as a coin. At first I thought it was a reale!

I was able to find a 2 1/2 cent pool hall token similar to this, so maybe it's "trouble in river city" adjusted for inflation 😏 haven't found the exact one yet.

It would be to the right of the roman numeral III. 

I'm really nervous about cleaning it more, used Wright's silver polish and a little water, that's it. Soil here is very unkind. 🤬 There is no mintmark, wish there was like the "S" on that '49 Roosevelt I dug recently. It's two and a half now, Got a half one last spring. 😁

needs some scale

Yeah, I've got to start including some sort of ruler with the strange stuff, those levers won't fit in a Riker case, they're heavy and about 4" long. I was tired when I got home and didn't clean them out, they will go in my large junk box. Maybe I'll look tomorrow. Heavy nickel plated brass.

I hunted the place totally at random, I'm hoping to keep it producing for a while. I'm sure there's a lot more cool stuff there. 🙂 Thanks! 

• Like 4

Congrats! Couldn't think of a better person to find one other than myself! Way to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wow, now that's a killer hunt! So what did you think of that Silver Slayer program? I've lowered the uper notch to 79 and I'm loving it. I also set up a gold version. Those buttons are awesome and I love the Trime! Way to go!

• Like 3

That's a great hunt, congrats on the trime!  

Your gilt button would probably clean up beautifully if you took a Qtip dipped in lemon juice and gently cleaned the front.  I've been amazed how well it's restored 1800's gilt buttons

• Like 2

There are likely more trimes and shield or Liberty Head nickels in that field (I tell myself).  I had a feeling when I was there with you the other day, Bob.  And perhaps even a $1 gold piece or two.  Agree that the Nox would have the edge on that small silver especially with the 10x5 coil, that's why we use both detectors out there when we have the opportunity to switch it up.  Deus 2 hot on brass, especially in thick iron.

I was happy with what I managed to extract out there after I located the hot spot in the vicinity of where we thought the old barn was located. Since I only have the opportunity to be there a few hours every few months, I need to make the most of my opportunities (though you may have my company more frequently in 2023 😉) because Bob is out there every day vacuuming up the fields.  :rolleyes:  I tried to wave off Bob ("nothing to see here") after I dug my first legit relic in the scattered iron junk (the small "D" buckle) the other day, but he was having none of it. After he saw me spending too much time on a recovery, he knew I had found the spot, bee lined in my direction and found his spectacular "Block C" cast Confederate Cavalry Officer's coat button before I had a chance to fully exploit the area. 

It's good karma payback for Bob as he generously shares his detecting paradise permissions (and great coffee) with me, I couldn't be more thankful for his generosity and more jealous of his finds and ideal detecting conditions with thousands of acres of access.  We will wear out well before his permissions dry up.

I managed an 1887 IHP, a couple ball buttons, a couple D buckles, a nice brass drawer pull, a tiny, thin brass ring (not jewelry), and my find of the day, an 1841 William Henry Harrison Presidential token.  Along with other miscellaneous brass plumbing fittings and odds and ends.

Leave a trime, Reb button, old copper, or Spanish cob for me to find next time, good buddy!  And congrats!  And in the immortal words of the Terminator - "I'll be back."

20221016_122502.thumb.jpg.f1092c013a846e234fcc72fcdea1c4f2.jpg

20221019_011207.thumb.jpg.4a67930157322739367123e7a89556a9.jpg

20221019_011349.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, kac said:

Congrats! Couldn't think of a better person to find one other than myself! Way to go.

😀know you have a few, probably have a drawer just for them. Thanks kac. I guess the Detecting Gods (🤔) offered up some "provenience" for my error in discipline. 🤣 I just dug up that fancy word 😏

6 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work 350...never dug a trim either so I'm kinda envious as well. Keep it up your on a roll. 

strick

They minted millions of Trimes. They should be everywhere! 😀 This one is lower value being a first issue year, 5 million. (Thanks GB!) You have better odds of finding an "O" mint one which would be more valuable. Old parks and churches, definitely farms it seems 🤔

I don't get much silver at all but when I do it's awesome.

I think, judging from my childhood in the 60s when I always had holes in my pockets that this is by far the easiest American coin to lose. The problem is its ID in the pull tab range, and of course its size which turn the tables on us. 🤣

• Like 2

Great work on the trime and other items.

I noticed that the 800 nails any silver in the factory settings and that is how I have 2 of them myself.

Both were down almost 6 inches but the 800 rings out loud and clear on them or any silver.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay warm out there.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, now that's a killer hunt! So what did you think of that Silver Slayer program? I've lowered the uper notch to 79 and I'm loving it. I also set up a gold version. Those buttons are awesome and I love the Trime! Way to go!

Thanks Cap'n, I specifically mentioned the SS program because of you. I'm also thinking of naming the spiral search that found me the second spoon and buckle fragment the "CPT_GhostLight Maneuver™ " remembering a few of your older posts. 😀

I see you second guessed the upper notch as well, I wondered. 🤔 And less conservatively than me! You devil. 👍

I am sad that I didn't find the Trime with the Deus, but I have plans to use it in the trashier areas of my permissions. I wonder if it "sees past" the iron or just supresses it, an interesting challenge. Honestly that's what I set out to do initially. However, this is yet another example of why I am never going to be without my trusty Equinox 600 and 10x5.

I am intrigued by your mention of a "Gold Grabber" program, I'll even let you have the trademark. 🤣 If you get a chance I hope you post it.

• Like 2