Nokta Legend Or Minelab Equinox 900?

I also am very interested in the relative performance each gives an objective, experienced user; especially in some mineralization and also the Manticore. I think Jeff mentioned he has a 900 on the way. He will report I'm sure.

I really like the Legend and have been impressed with it's versatility & high performance is all kinds of conditions. The fact that it is also a great value/bargain should not lead someone to think it is lacking in capabilities. I can't imagine even the Manticore being 2-3X better, though I would like to have one to play with, but not able to justify the price. NM's coming PI will probably be irresistible to me though.

I don’t see a problem in I’d buy them both. You going to need a backup and later down the road you can determine the one you want to call a backup.

Motto to remember. You can never have too many detectors.

Chuck 

Hopefully with the Nox 900 or Manticore you don't need a backup, surely the quality has improved this time around.  Usually people and businesses are capable of learning from their mistakes.

4 hours ago, JCR said:

I also am very interested in the relative performance each gives an objective, experienced user; especially in some mineralization and also the Manticore. I think Jeff mentioned he has a 900 on the way. He will report I'm sure.

I really like the Legend and have been impressed with it's versatility & high performance is all kinds of conditions. The fact that it is also a great value/bargain should not lead someone to think it is lacking in capabilities. I can't imagine even the Manticore being 2-3X better, though I would like to have one to play with, but not able to justify the price. NM's coming PI will probably be irresistible to me though.

I am just about well enough to coin and jewelry hunt on flat fields. Being almost winter here in Denver, luckily the blizzard missed us and the ground is too dry to totally freeze so as soon as Gerry gets his shipment I will take the 900 out to see what it can do. The transition should be really easy.

The three things that separate the Legend from the Nox 900 for me right now are:

-the 900’s 119 target ID scale opposed to 60 on the Legend, 

-Minelab claim to have improved target separation/recovery speed. Legend is pretty quick too in some of its modes.

-For me personally and subjectively, I like the simpler user interface of the Nox over the Legend.

Otherwise between Nox 800 and the Legend…….definitely I would pick the Legend since it has basically almost all of the features added to the Nox 900 besides the target ID scale.

Between the Nox 900 and the Legend Pro Pack right now…….$400 difference in price. $400 difference in performance in my opinion……absolutely no way.

I’ve been down the road of not having a backup and I paid for my stupidity.

What I’m talking about is when you just made a thousand mile trip but that new detector was working great the day I left home. I had been testing it on different size nuggets but at home the ground wasn’t as hot as where I was headed .

When I turned that little jewel on I knew it and I both had a problem. At that time I didn’t have a backup but I make sure that don’t happen to me again.

When I got back from my site seeing trip I sent it in and it got fixed. Now I look like a traveling salesman with all the detectors I’m carrying.

That’s why I say you can’t have too many detectors.

Chuck 

For what it’s worth, my Legend is more stable on saltwater beaches than my EQ 800.

4 hours ago, midalake said:

Can you explain more? Wet sand? Wet sand water contact?  Do you have any black sand? 

Thanks 

I primarily detect on Atlantic beaches in the Eastern US. There is no black sand where I hunt. I use both my Legend and EQ 800 on the wet sand and in the surf up to waist deep. I switch over to my Excal II when I go in further than waist deep.

On my Legend, I can run the sensitivity wide open (in Beach Mode) and it’s very quiet even when the coil sweeps in/out of the saltwater. On my EQ 800, I have to lower the sensitivity (in Beach Mode 1) to achieve stable performance but I still get some noise when the coil sweeps in/out of the saltwater.

They are both great detectors but the Legend is quieter and more stable where I use it.

The 900 looks like it's out performing the Manticore in some of the newest videos online which I hope isn't the case since I have one on the way so I'm guessing it's a little better than the Legend. That being said the Legend is super fun machine and my backup to my Deus 2. If it was all I had I'd still be happy. Absolutely the best detector for the money in my opinion.