Manticore In Iron (nail Beds)

strick

7 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

If I remember correctly, the iron was ID'ing as high silver. Similar to iron wrap around.

Depends on which video you watch. I've seen anything from low 20's to low 80's in various videos. All I'm saying is if you are chasing primarily silver you should be able to setup a pattern that will significantly cut down on digging iron. If you've ever used an eTrac you'll know what I'm talking about. When I stuck to coin patterns on the eTrac I dug very little iron. Once I started trying to get creative with unmasking I started digging more iron.

But in any case the Manticore is no relic hunting machine from what I've seen. Way too much iron being dug.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just feel that detecting is always about sound and the way we interpret it, experience and hours spent with the machine enhance it further. The tricks of the trade we learn along the way and the curiosity to dig that signal that we  subconsciously know needs to be dug all adds to the thrill of finding something worthwhile. Eyes can deceive. I love this hobby I am always surprised when I least expect it and a wonderful find emerges from the hole.

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I will stick to my plan of not considering the M-core until the small coil is released, and hopefully these issues will be addressed in a timely M-core update or two, by then., if I feel they are worth the extra $$.

I myself will stick with the Deus ll until the Manticore starts showing up on eBay for a much lower price. If they don’t show up, I am happy with the Deus ll.

Good luck everybody and HAPPY NEW CONGRESS UHH I MEAN YEAR!!!

1 hour ago, Chesroy said:

I just feel that detecting is always about sound and the way we interpret it, experience and hours spent with the machine enhance it further. The tricks of the trade we learn along the way and the curiosity to dig that signal that we  subconsciously know needs to be dug all adds to the thrill of finding something worthwhile. Eyes can deceive. I love this hobby I am always surprised when I least expect it and a wonderful find emerges from the hole.

Totally agree with what you are saying.  But ML is asking folks to literally buy into (as in fork over more money) for TTrace to do the following on nails:

690415848_SmartSelect_20221226_125959_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.0ade40b1f36d84dda0d1e694003ae590.jpg

when it is clearly not quite there as evidenced in the videos coming out.  I too am adept at the iron audio tells using Nox.  But if one wants to simply use audio tells, then why would they not just simply stick with the 800 or 900?  That's the point people are trying to make, they are holding ML accountable for the features promised.  Not just bashing ML or M-core solely for the sake of bashing and shouldn't simply be dismissed as drama mongers.

What I don't get is they took what, 3 years developing the Manticore? Now in the hands of a small number of people they're instantly claiming to find issues with it that need fixed, why in the 3 years and however long it went through testing did this not get brought up?   We are assuming they're now rapidly trying to make a new firmware release for this undiscovered until now problem, how did it go missed in all their testing?

I'm puzzled by the testing process of their detectors, it seems so many obvious things go completely missed or dismissed.

I am not a drama monger.

I am also not a potential Manticore buyer at this point. Like Carolina and Chase and others…..I am going to wait. 

Part of the reason for waiting has not changed from the moment I learned of this detector. Personally, the way I hunt right now and what I hunt…..I don’t need Target Trace. 

That not needing it is now being reinforced by the field testing after purchasing that has been reported online as videos or forum posts concerning the Manticore, Target Trace, Iron Limits and iron targets clearly reporting as non-ferrous enough to dig them. 

I too have learned the Equinox audio iron “tells” and tricks that go way beyond what the display may say in terms of target ID.

As Abenson said earlier and I will support……previous iterations of the Equinox can have non-ferrous responses from iron and steel targets occurring absolutely anywhere on the target ID scale.

A good video and I won't nitpick on a couple things he said that I (mildly) disagree with.  I like his style of letting us see and hear the targets (good AND bad), rather than just showing him digging and recovering.

One of my take-aways is that FBS users are going to be up the learning curve, which I don't mind -- they deserve it for the hours they've used those detectors.

Another (less obvious?) take-away that I seem to disagree with others -- the settings being used, canned as they are, don't cover the full phase space of what can be adjusted.  That includes the audio options plus the Ferrous Limit settings options.  I also don't think we know (and I await the oscilloscope users to tell us) what frequencies are being transmitted.

I vaguely recall Tom Dankowski early on saying ferrous limit tweaking would emphasize some targets that otherwise aren't enhanced with (some, anyway) canned settings.  This appears to be WAY more adjustable than the FE and F2 iron bias adjustments available with the Equinox.

I see a tendency of some to denigrate the 2-d screen info (what is being coined 'Target Trace', which is part but not all of the info).  And if those features don't add value over the Equinoxes then I get it.  But can we conclude that already?  (I'll answer for myself -- no.)

I also understand why Deus 2 owners&users aren't as keen on the Manticore as others.  In my case if I already had invested $1600 and many learning hours in one of those I wouldn't be hot get get a Manticore, either.  And yes, it might even now be the better investment for those of us who have neither.

Addendum:  Initially I was concerned that the Bluetooth system might add enough delay that the trick he was showing to ID iron would be lost when using the ML105 headphones.  However, for part of the video he was using those and didn't mention any loss of that ability.  This could mean that the Bluetooth is considerably faster than the conservative 30-40 ms latency being tossed about here and elsewhere.  (Pretty sure ML has not yet given an indication of the ML105 system latency, and knowing ML they might never...).

The way I see it, the Manticore and probably EQ 700/900 releases were rushed to market just like the other two recently released machines to meet peak buying cycles and compete with the other products. It has become common practice to get your machine out there and fix the problems afterwards with all detectors (and most other products) and all of them are not finished products yet. Look at how many cars have factory recalls years after being released and sold. So I'm not surprised by any problems that show up in the early days of product releases and really it makes much more sense to wait on buying anything new these days. Just my current opinion.

43 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

The way I see it, the Manticore and probably EQ 700/900 releases were rushed to market just like the other two recently released machines to meet peak buying cycles and compete with the other products. It has become common practice to get your machine out there and fix the problems afterwards with all detectors.

Perhaps, but then again, detectors have become so complex, and hunting grounds so varied, that I think it would be impossible for any MD company to account for all contingencies.

The saving grace is that these newer detectors are fixable via firmware updates 🙂

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

What I don't get is they took what, 3 years developing the Manticore? Now in the hands of a small number of people they're instantly claiming to find issues with it that need fixed, why in the 3 years and however long it went through testing did this not get brought up?   We are assuming they're now rapidly trying to make a new firmware release for this undiscovered until now problem, how did it go missed in all their testing?

I'm puzzled by the testing process of their detectors, it seems so many obvious things go completely missed or dismissed.

Hold your horses, assumptions, misconceptions, misdirections and wrong turns.

Easy does it.

Today I borrowed a Manty and just followed the preset straight out of the box and went detecting for about 4 hours.

It has jaw dropping performance and instead of using a pinpointer. I was waving handfulls of dirt across the coil old skool style. Why,... because the pinpointer couldn’t see the target half of the time. And the other half the find just stuck to the pointer because the soil was muddy.

Then my buddy who is a Minelab official detexpert involved in the Manticore being what it is today. Messed around with the settings, fiddled with tones, pitch, threshold and whatnot.

And I was hearing ground minerals, small Iron nulling the threshold super fast, large Iron coming through, the occasional false and targets coming in loud and clear as if they were calling me out from the crowd with the familiarty of my wife calling my name!!

Tommorow is another day, another hunt and I feel like my whole detecting experience bag has been ripped to bits and I’m puzzling with unknown pieces to make it fit.

But DAMN THIS PUPPY HUNTS!!!