Scouting With The Ws6 Master - Didn't Expect This

My wife wasn't feeling all that great this morning, so she said "why don't you go detecting?"

Heh, don't need to say it twice. It was going to be another warm day but a bit windy.20230103_100955.thumb.jpg.46259929153b377a1b2df80851e2b69e.jpg

It's a new permission, a 100 acre farm that one of the landowners told me I could hunt yesterday. 

Before I left, I was trying to decide which detector to bring, the D2 RC with the CF shaft and 13", or the WS6 Master. I decided to just bring the WS6 rig to see what it would do. 100 acres is a lot of land, to walk across this field and back is a mile. I was going to scout the place and see if there were any hotspots, mark them and move on. A light detector was the ticket, and nothing is lighter than this one. 😀 

3 digs into the day turned up this buckle, I'm pretty sure it's 1650s to 1750s.20230103_102700.thumb.jpg.99f929b26da2947d56629127ce7e7aa1.jpg

Right then I knew it was going to be an interesting day. 😀 The farmhouse was built in 1903 according to the owner, he is renovating it for his family, and doing a really nice job. He mentioned I could hunt the yard too, he is going to replace it with sod when the house is done. Another time perhaps. There are 35 more acres across the road too!

I walked almost all the way across this field, I had looked at topographic maps and they suggested there was another house here much earlier than the farmhouse. I marked it in OnX Hunt. Had to park my truck on one side, the spot I was looking for was on the other.

I found the spot on a small bluff facing south to a creek and marsh.20230103_115858.thumb.jpg.e0beb10ab2eff263ab12da693fcf9777.jpg

The creek is loaded with waterfowl and fish, it was an excellent source of food for the early settlers. I wasn't sure what I'd find here but the prospects were good after finding that buckle. Started hearing a bit of iron so I looked around a bit and ended up on the highest point.

20230103_202003.thumb.jpg.a8ca0bb7266604fba8eff4eec1b1768a.jpg

I wasn't disappointed. Got an old brass boss, later and closer to the farmhouse a 1963 nickel and a 1908 IHP. Sadly the back is so toasted I can't tell if it's an "S" or not. 😵

I had no idea what the leftmost coin was that I found on top of that bluff, I sent pics to a few friends to see if they could find it. Well one of them did. My good buddy @dogodog sent it to a friend of his and they got me on track to finding this unexpected and extraordinary coin:20230103_193212.thumb.jpg.2e5297d0f0313a72f7bde458e70f2a3b.jpg20230103_193057.thumb.jpg.19f9ca74bc9d8e48ae134f790c905435.jpg

Turns out it's a 1694 Scottish William and Mary Twopence.

https://coinscatalog.net/great-britain/coin-copper-2-pence-km-130-scotland

Here are some pictures of what it would look like if it wasn't in a farm in Virginia:324554353_img(3).thumb.jpeg.eab79a41934847c64a53f5306e80c3ac.jpeg1609851193_img(2).jpeg.86ac71e76aaaba260c8015e21182f94b.jpeg

I knew the coin was ancient, but not that old! 🥳

The Latin on the front is 'NEMO ME IMPVNE LACESSET’. "No one shall hurt me with impunity".

Well I'll be. 🤔 Lots of different currency were used in the Colonies, this was a new one on me!

Here's the logo for a very famous Virginia college:vertical_stacked.jpg.3fb1d4d2f4e7b459b5d604fa39e4cd67.jpg

Look familiar? Yep. That William and Mary. 🙂 

Only got a handful of trash today!20230103_180647.thumb.jpg.dbe48c3ac34f2dc0c4c0fe430d2419b8.jpg

Finding great stuff like that this early in the year will make the rest of the year suck. You know that right? 🙂

Great stuff!

8 minutes ago, kac said:

Finding great stuff like that this early in the year will make the rest of the year suck. You know that right? 🙂

Great stuff!

Thanks!

Nah I've got my 4 leaf clover on my finds pouch 🤣 probably why I found that coin in the first place 😎

You were supposed to put the 🍀 on your detector!! Not your "trashcan"!!🤣

Great job, as usual!!👍👍

Just now, Joe D. said:

You were supposed to put the 🍀 on your detector!! Not your "trashcan"!!🤣

Great job, as usual!!👍👍

Thanks!

I have a separate bag for trash. 🤣 The Relic Elite gets the good stuff.20221231_170256.thumb.jpg.4446191b8db14c5a21686f17251d43ae.jpg

Great hunt and a nice save even with your soil.

Now that you got the old coin out of the way everything else won't come close to it this year.

Good luck on your next outing tomorrow even though it is going to be more windy and with a little bit of rain.

Stay safe out there.

8 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunt and a nice save even with your soil.

Now that you got the old coin out of the way everything else won't come close to it this year.

Good luck on your next outing tomorrow even though it is going to be more windy and with a little bit of rain.

Stay safe out there.

Thanks VL!

😀 Going out Friday to scout two more places. Today and Thursday are "home days". I don't like to hunt on weekends, and usually wait until the second day after it rains. 👍

We need a "WOW" emoji, because, WOW! They're all awesome finds, but that W&M coin is absolutely amazing! Way to go and congrats! That new permission could be the big one. You're going to have to build your own museum soon. Well done! 😎

18 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

We need a "WOW" emoji, because, WOW! They're all awesome finds, but that W&M coin is absolutely amazing! Way to go and congrats! That new permission could be the big one. You're going to have to build your own museum soon. Well done! 😎

😀 Thanks Cap'n.

135 acres is gonna be a lot to cover. I've got 3 smaller scouting hunts coming up, one old house deep in the woods, a mile long trek through the forest to a possible 1812 invasion landing, and a small farmhouse site. This landowner owns 100s of acres all over the place, and always tries to think of new places for me to go when I talk to him. I'm working on some other stuff too with another guy who knows another big landowner. They get a kick out of my exploits, and I like hearing local history from them.

I'm definitely filling up some Rikers, and I have a box of stuff too big for the cases.

Just so it gets out there, it seems the WS6 Master is even more impervious to EMI, or at least that is what it "feels" like. I strongly recommend that those that have the whole D2 system and relic hunt get another shaft and try it out. I took @palzynski's lead on that, it really is as good to use as he has written. Once you are used to the way things sound you really don't need the extra RC displays.

Well congrats on your permissions and well done on your research. Looks like you have prime detecting set up for a long time.

I have pretty much decided to follow your lead and get the 13" coil when they get back in stock and get a Steve's D2 shaft for it and make a WSMaster rig for the 9", specially since I got the WSA II-XL phones for Christmas that will work with both setups.

Keep up the good hunts and posts! Since my snow refuses to melt here, I'm going out snow hunting today or tomorrow. 😎