Going Over Areas Multiple Times On The Beach

I'm not entirely sure if this is true or not, as I'm not familiar with the inner workings of a metal detector. But i've heard somewhere (probably from a YT video) that moving your coil over a target will send a electromagnetic wave down that charges the target, and this allows it to be detected by your machine.
That being said, I've found it to be very helpful to go over the same areas i've already swung my coil over once because I would find targets I missed during the first swing. My reasoning for this is that the first swing charged the target, but my machine didn't register it initially so I just kept walking. A second swing over the same area should produce a reading as the target is already charged as I walked over it again, thus I can target the object until I get a clearer reading. 
What do you think about this? I would only do this if I found a coin line as I know there would be targets in the vicinity, but it tends to work out. I found a ton of targets I missed on the first swing and even on the second swing; gotta be through just incase there's a ring I missed!

I've heard that "charged target" theory before.

If you go back over the ground you just hunted and found more, then it's because you didn't go over those targets the first time around.

Metal in the ground doesn't hold a charge. A coin or ring isn't a battery 😁

7 minutes ago, Sirius said:

But i've heard somewhere (probably from a YT video) that moving your coil over a target will send a electromagnetic wave down that charges the target, and this allows it to be detected by your machine.

Ya, there are lots of wives tales/fallacies in metal detecting.

When metal detecting the only charge that you will find is when you pull out a great find from the ground.

That is the only charge you can get.

A continuous group of frequencies is sent into the ground by the transmit portion of your detector and then is received by the receiver portion of the detector. Any time the continuous field is disrupted in it's path going from the transmitter to the receiver by a metal object getting in the way, the detector reports that disruption to you. (in a nutshell)

No target charging involved.

Most likely as has been stated, you missed putting the coil directly over the target during the first pass. "Z" pattern swinging will do that to you. 😉

It's nice thinking our metal detectors are some super powerful beasts, some even believe pointing them at a plane flying over will interfere with it's electronics, in reality they're not very powerful at all and are not going to "charge" targets in the ground 🙂

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

some even believe pointing them at a plane flying over will interfere with it's electronics

I bet you saw that on youtube...😁

26 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I bet you saw that on youtube...😁

Someone's probably done a video thinking they can do it 🙂 I must admit when I first fired up my shiny new GPZ I thought I should be wearing my undies over my pants as I was a now a bona fied superhero as I now had super powers!

superman.png.36c9c3a1d168f286e0a0ae4bf36280b3.png

Here's the explanation that Minelab shows on their website. It is a simplified explanation, but basically correct.

https://www.minelab.com/knowledge-base/getting-started/how-metal-detectors-work#:~:text=Metal detectors work by transmitting,electromagnetic field of their own.

On VLF detectors, the electromagnetic field from the transmit coil is projected into the ground which does stimulate an EM field on the surface of any metal object in the range of the transmit coil's field, which varies by the target's conductivity, size, shape, and depth. The eddy currents that form on the metal object are weak and dissipate immediately after the target is out of the transmitted field. So, no, objects do not hold the charge created by the transmit coil's EM field.

The receive coil detects the surface EM response of metal objects encountered within the transmit field, sending voltage variations back to the detector's electronics to be filtered and classified and translated into beeps, boops, and TIDs.

That's it in a nutshell.