GPZ Find Points

I use the GPZ GPS.  It helps me get back to an area where I have found nuggets and look for a pattern.  Yesterday I ran out of storage for Find Points.  I used Waypoints for a few nuggets.

It has been a few years since I've looked at the software for the 7000.  I remember you download the info and then you can delete the points on the 7000.  At one point the software was compatible with the 3030 but then it wasn't.  It is a sore spot form some of us about Minelab ignoring this helpful feature.

What is the quickest way for me to make space on my 7000 and save the Find Points for future reference?  I know I won't have all my patches with me on the 7000 but it will be better than losing all the points.

Mitchel

you can save 100 find points on the 7000 (which you have filled up) and you can save 100 waypoints, the only difference between find points and waypoints is the info that you can look at latter.  And 10 Trails.

Find points have the size of nugget if you put that in, and the coil used and the settings used, the waypoints only have the coordinates

there is a program that will display all your downloaded find points waypoints and trails on Google earth, it is an extension of the xchange2 and called "exchange2 extended"  I dont think ML has it as a option but I got it from somewhere else. 

once you have downloaded all the info from the 7000 onto you laptop using xchange2 you can then delete (clear) all the stuff, go to the last screen and choose delete stored geo, I think it's called

cheers dave

• Thanks 1

Mitchel, you can also take a photo with a smartphone (leave settings to geotag your photos to on) - that way you also have a record of where and what you get.  There are several ways to get the coordinates  from the photo .EXIF file as well.   I use EXIF Metadata app on my iPhone- it shows a map of the photo locations and can export the location coordinates, and even can edit the data such as allowing you to remove the location for sharing images, etc.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/exif-metadata/id1455197364

• Thanks 1

I started off way back using GPS waypoints, tracks etc. on a Magellan later switching to Smart Phone than to Garmin, the big advantage of this is the saved waypoints etc can migrate from one system to the next but in a proprietary protected system like MLs there seems to be no way to do this, thus for the future there seems no way around this unless Daves exchange2 extended has this ability. Does it Dave?

6 hours ago, Norvic said:

unless Daves exchange2 extended has this ability. Does it Dave?

all I know is that the exchange2 and the exchange2 extended need to be used together 

download the data as usual with the exchange2 and then use the exchange2 extended to send the data to google earth, well thats what I used to do but the gpx6000 has no such function so I just use the Trilobite on the mobile phone now to keep track of the live and pending leases in WA and it also makes your trails and waypoints which can be sent to google earth.

a screen shot example of the Trilobite on my mobile phone

trilobite.thumb.jpg.b277d7ec0de7122cd8012b35867e873f.jpg

cheers dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. trialled Trilobite can see would be the go where current lease data etc is crucial.

This is what they say on their site:

Frequently Asked Questions | Knowledge Base | Minelab Metal Detectors

It doesn't seem as simple as before!  You have to open Excel?  I don't have it on this computer.

• Confused 1