Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

Wow! 16" down. 👍 About the only thing I get at that depth or deeper is a beer can bottom or a big toy car. 😀 Incredible. Nice silver, and some interesting tokens and foreign coins!

The idea of using a Pulse Induction Machine at my permissions has been an attractive thought, but usually ends up being rejected after digging a few junk targets. Tip o' the Tricorne to you again!

"Never hunted out" must mean never hunted by you. 😀 Fantastic! 🏆

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Congrats on more silver in the poke, well done again! Those large coils really delivered the out of reach goodies. 😎

Thanks. Never a dull moment when you find an area that is close enough to get some deep targets. I'm constantly amazed at how many coins are still buried deep. Every once in a while you have access to some of them. I've hit this area many times and always get silver (and Buffalos) for some reason  🤔

On 11/16/2023 at 5:41 PM, F350Platinum said:

Wow! 16" down. 👍 About the only thing I get at that depth or deeper is a beer can bottom or a big toy car. 😀 Incredible. Nice silver, and some interesting tokens and foreign coins!

The idea of using a Pulse Induction Machine at my permissions has been an attractive thought, but usually ends up being rejected after digging a few junk targets. Tip o' the Tricorne to you again!

"Never hunted out" must mean never hunted by you. 😀 Fantastic! 🏆

Yeah 16 is mostly the limit. Anything beyond that is just plain luck that what you heard was actually a target. At those depths it's mostly ground noise or just EMI tricking you. But sometimes you get lucky. I don't get those depth in fields that's for sure 😄

19 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

16" 🤯 Good thing you were digging a beach that deep !

Those silvers looked like they were overdue to be rescued ..

I tried rubbing them right away so that they wouldn't turn as black. All it did was expose how terrible they look and I added some more scratches to them 🙄

SOHK,

Can you not use minimum DISC (on your DD coils) to take care of the bottlecaps and iron targets. I run my GP3500 just "clicked" out of All Metal. There is no loss in depth and the caps, hairpins,and fish hooks are blanked out.

You are an inspiration for other Minelab PI users on the beach 🙂

1 hour ago, Tony said:

SOHK,

Can you not use minimum DISC (on your DD coils) to take care of the bottlecaps and iron targets. I run my GP3500 just "clicked" out of All Metal. There is no loss in depth and the caps, hairpins,and fish hooks are blanked out.

You are an inspiration for other Minelab PI users on the beach 🙂

Hey Tony, I run the 5000 with the disc set at 5 for no apparent reason 😄 Most of the iron is out of the range of the discriminator with the exception of the bottle caps. But the main reason I dig everything and pick up some surface bottle caps is because they mask the layer I need to get to. 10" to 16" is the usual range for the silver I am after. Mostly the targets I want are a soft whisper or just sounds like ground noise. I usually have to clear an area of the junk targets most hunters leave, so that I can re-scan the area later and get the deep stuff. The other reason is that I'm getting older now, and I'm a firm believer in the "use it or lose it" mentality. I get my exercise by digging a lot of holes. I usually don't eat for before and during the hunt, so I get a mini fast in. It works for me and even though it is tiring, it builds my stamina. I did that hunt and today did 8 hours digging for an archaeology project I work on. 2 days is enough to make me hate detecting until next week 😆

Makes perfect sense.....that is some serious dedication to get the deep silver.......and gold as well 💪

My beaches are relatively clean down here....surface hairpins, bottle caps and tent pegs are my main enemy.

Happy hunting.

22 hours ago, Tony said:

I meant to ask how your Manticore compares to the GPX on pure depth?

Right now I'm not a Manticore fan 🙄 I think my coil is degrading, since I've lost a lot of depth on targets. It's been getting killed by a couple of Deus 2's on a project I am on. If it wasn't for the good old days of Minelab 5000 technology, I would be without a quality machine to hunt with. I've tried single frequencies, reduced sensitivity, increased sensitivity multiple programs, did a reset etc.... it all leads to the same thing. It's definitely not the same Manticore I had when it was new. So right now it doesn't compare to the GPX at all 😆 I guess I'm just tired of the Minelab quality control. And yes I know you can send it in.... that's not the point. It will sit in the closet until a non Minelab coil is produced. So maybe someone with the 5000 and the Manticore can compare the two and see how it stacks up. All I can say is thank God I have a backup 5000 to my 5000.

• 2 weeks later...

Beach hunt # 10 was a bust. 😭 (cry baby 😄). I was going to return to the silver beach, but I figured it was done, so I tried 2 different beaches. Never do that !!!  😞. Neither beach was kind to me, but time is short when the sun goes down fast, so traveling 30 minutes to a third beach just didn’t seem worth it. These beaches really need to be torn up a bit from a good nor’easter. Come on nature, take some sand away …. please?  It didn’t help that I wanted to try that 17x21 SEF coil out at a new beach. That coil is really not meant to travel back and forth across a long beach. With that snowshoe, you park your butt in a small section and crawl around slowly. Oh well at least that coil is getting some use considering I have probably only used it a handful of times since I bought it. So, lots of junk, some clad and not one silver piece. Better luck next time. Still fun to get out and hunt.

20231130_121415.jpg

20231130_120936.jpg