Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Outstanding again.

I don't know how you do it, but I sure know why, 🤔 looks like things are starting to thin a bit. 😬

I get the silverware but old buttons and doorknobs? Well at one beach I have found some old house parts like glass fuses and such.

Another great one. 👍

Yep, things are drying up a bit. But I can't complain, it's been a good streak for silver with a couple gold thrown in. Now back to reality 😓 The old button is probably just after WW II, when beaches were a great source of relief. I get a lot of coins in the 40's / 50's layer. The door knob is probably from some previous storms that took down cottages that were waterside. Either before the state took over the beach or from adjacent areas that were later purchased by them. I get a decent amount of house items, and yes, them cork fuses show up sometimes.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:
  •  

20240215_145336.jpg

20240215_151417.jpg

If I've been following correctly, isn't this the first time in a while you've been in single digits with your silver coin count?  Even for you that was a hell of a run!

BTW, if you think of it would you run one of those green Warnicks over the Manticore and report the digital TID?

Thanks. Single digits are fine (unless it's just 1) 😅. I'm shocked the silver stuck around this long. I'm sure there is probably another beach somewhere where the conditions were similar. I should have tried to get to some NH beaches. I saw some videos where the GPX would have done very well on those rocky areas. Unfortunately, I couldn't spare anymore time than I already did.

On the Manticore, I ran some numbers for you. I was inside, so sensitivity was at 13. I had discrimination, but it would not affect the readings as the signals were pure with no bleeding into the disc zone. I did not reset the machine, as I didn't want to lose my settings. So not a standardized test by any means. I tried both nickels, so the first number you see is the less corroded one and the second number is the more corroded one. AT Gen - 46/49, AT Fast- 46/49, AT LC - 47/50, AT HC - 48/50, AT Trash Reject - 46/49, Beach General - 46/49, Beach LC - 46/49, Beach Deep - 46/49, Beach Surf & Seawater - 45/48, Goldfield - 45/48. Numbers jumped sometimes with the low number at 45 and the high number at 50 (occasionally jumping to 53).

• Like 3

Beach hunt # 24 is done. I decided to hit a small beach for half a day and then return to my silver beach if things didn’t go well at that beach. So, this small beach has previously given up a decent number of coins, some junk jewelry, but occasionally I get a silver ring or some silver coins. I think the most silver in one trip previously was 2 silver coins. I was expecting this beach to be a bit more roughed up from previous storms, but after talking with a friend that lives nearby, I was told the storms usually push sand up on the beach. OK, 🙄 not what I wanted, but maybe there are some good coins pushed up from the ocean depths. It took a while, but I found a coin line and after a couple hours, I managed a silver Washington, a Mercury dime, a silver cross, and part of a silver ring. I also found 2 more war nickels which read 56 and 68 on the Manticore. Well, already that’s more silver than my usual haul when things quiet down, so I was happy with that. 2 Buffalo nickels also showed up, so I am always happy to see those. It tells me I am in the right time frame for silver. But I think it’s time to move on to the other beach.  I was almost ready to leave when I started to dig those very old style pull tabs. If you get them, more silver is possible. So, I stayed and continued to the end of the beach where I started to see some nice erosion. This section was very different from the rest of the beach and was only exposed because of the low tide. I never really thought about this section much because it’s hard to get to unless the tides recede enough. My first target sounded very loud (as shallow targets often do on the GPX). I removed a couple of small rocks and down about 2 inches pops out a quarter. Clad sometimes gets tumbled a lot and comes out shiny, but I quickly noticed the eagle back of a Barber quarter. OK then. 🥰 Next target might be an old nickel, but completely wiped clean. 3rd target was a Barber dime. 🤔 What the heck is going one here? 😅 Not a lot of targets there, and I’m now fighting the tide coming back in, but I managed some more silver dimes and another Barber quarter. Talk about changing my day. Needless to say, I spent the whole day there, and did not go to the other beach. One of my best outings on this beach and I plan to return there the next time we have a decent low tide. You never know what the day will bring.

20240222_113103.jpg

20240222_112144.jpg

20240222_111358.jpg

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I was almost ready to leave when I started to dig those very old style pull tabs.

Are those the ones shown in the lower left portion of your non-ferrous trash photo -- what I'd call beaver tail with near rectangular pull?

Whatever has happened on your coast, it looks like it's been an unusual winter, on the plus side.  Hopefully you can keep getting out there while the pickens are good.  Oh, where in your photos is the 'wiped' clean nickel candidate?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are those the ones shown in the lower left portion of your non-ferrous trash photo -- what I'd call beaver tail with near rectangular pull?

Whatever has happened on your coast, it looks like it's been an unusual winter, on the plus side.  Hopefully you can keep getting out there while the pickens are good.  Oh, where in your photos is the 'wiped' clean nickel candidate?

Well...... you can't see the white nickel because someone forgot to post that picture. 😵  Here it the picture of the clad stuff. I put the arrow under it and at first glance it may appear to be a Jefferson reverse side, but in hand it doesn't quite match up. But you never know, could just be a Jefferson.

Yes, the pull tabs on the lower left are the older ones. I once had a nice dated chart showing all the different types, but I can't find it. Here is another source. Just scroll down until you see the picture. Supposed to be the first style around 1963.

https://pulltabarchaeology.com/2021/10/22/new-shipment-from-the-nelsons/ 

20240222_112834.jpg

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Here is another source.

Thanks for that link.  They're missing the version that's shown in my avatar!  😁  I think it's later than any shown there, likely the last of the ring+beavertail design.  It has no rivet -- just made from a single piece of thin sheet aluminum with the ring part reinforced by rolling.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for that link.  They're missing the version that's shown in my avatar!  😁  I think it's later than any shown there, likely the last of the ring+beavertail design.  It has no rivet -- just made from a single piece of thin sheet aluminum with the ring part reinforced by rolling.

We used to find those back in the 80's or 90's. I think the little cans of Mott's apple juice had that style, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Impressive silver pile , again. 👍  The dimes reminded me of the wanted poster lineup at the post office , they're all wanted in my neck of the woods 🤔 . Did the pliers turn out to be salvageable ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

Impressive silver pile , again. 👍  The dimes reminded me of the wanted poster lineup at the post office , they're all wanted in my neck of the woods 🤔 . Did the pliers turn out to be salvageable ?

Thanks. If you want to see a real wanted poster.... I have some way better coins I would love to find and post. 😄 But that will never happen 😭. I doubt the pliers are salvageable since it looks like it has lost a lot of steel already. Would probably snap if cutting something 🤭. I'm already itchin' to get out again 😬

• Like 1

Beach hunt # 25 is back at that same small beach. Although the low tide was average, I was surprised to see so much lower beach exposed in the area that I found those Barber coins last time out. So, I headed there instead of doing a different section that I had planned on doing.  It turned out well, as I still found silver but at the expense of a lot of iron and pull tabs. I was torn between just digging high conductors or hoping for that gold ring. No gold ring showed up, so the pull tabs won that fight. I detected a good chunk of new ground just after where all the coins were coming from, but I did not get anything of value. I still don’t know why all these silvers were found in such a small area. It’s a very accessible area (not complaining) 😄. We have some really low tides coming up, so I’m going to try and get at least 2 hunts in. It will be a toss up between the GPX, Manticore or AQ, depending on the circumstances. It’s always a gamble I don’t like doing, to pick a beach to do at low tide. Pick wrong and you get to hear all about the guys that got multiple gold rings. 😪 We shall see how it turns out. One good thing though, a friend printed me out a couple of pin pointer caps for the Garrett carrot. Now I don’t have to duct tape the tip, so I don’t wear it out. Get out and dig if you can!!!

20240303_134049.jpg

20240303_134830.jpg

20240303_135041.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

I didn't comment on the last hunt but this is for both of them.

Incredible! 🏆 Obviously the best example of how useful a PI, and a lot of digging is at the beach. 👍

Great to see those 100 year old coins coming out! Never would have imagined that other than I got one a while back, but I guess a lot of sand has been removed by the surf. 🤔

Too bad the silver ring is so crusty, can it be cleaned up?

• Like 1