Who If Anyone Is Still Using A Concentric Coil And If So, Why?

Just curious if any of you folks still use a concentric coil and if you do, when and why versus a DD.   I picked up a Tesoro Sidewinder with the 8" concentric coil a short while back and did some parking hunting with it last week. It did remarkably well.  Yes, I did dig more trash than I would with my Legend or Equinox 800, but the Tesoro did reward me with a good pocket full of clad and a shallow wheatie.  I had forgotten how easy it was to pinpoint with a concentric coil.  And the detector was really fun to use.  No updates to install, no menus to trudge through.  Don't know if I will use it a lot but it was a nice change of pace.

Bill

• Like 6

When was the last time a detector was introduced that has a concentric coil, stock or optional?

• Like 3

Yes,i still use a 11.5'' Concentric coil on my Nexus MP which is also a Analogue machine at the same time,not all the time i will admit but on Roman/Saxon sites which can have alot of trash on the sites then its a deadly combination,the recovery speed is amazing and running 24khz is great for silver/gold hammered coinage.

So yes the Concentric coil still has its place in my detecting arsenal,also use small concentric coils ie 4'' on my Tesoro based machines for when mud larking in a few of my local river crossing fords,its a must have coil when when mudlarking on the Thames.

• Like 5

I use an 8" concentric on my Vista-X. The main reason is that it desensitizes the machine to flat iron compared to the DD coils. Flat iron (bottle caps, small can bits, etc) can be descriminated out well below nickels and any that remain (cans, can lids, etc) give a broken signal. Separation is also supposed to be better. Keith Southern has a video of him using a Tesoro Tajon (I think) with a concentric on the Monte nail board test and he was able to distinguish the coin next to the nail while sweeping "down the barrel" (i.e. lengthwise to the nail). This is the most difficult position and direction in the test (position 2 sweep 3 or 4, can't remember which) and the Tersoro with concentric was one of the rare detectors that pass this test.

• Like 1

I often use the recently released 8" Concentric on my Vista X in iron sites that are prone to falsing.  I still have Concentrics for my Anfibio Multi, MXT & AT Max. They will often "see" targets that a similar size DD has missed.  I would like to see Concentics offered for my SMF detectors like the Legend & Rutus Versa but there seems to be some difficulty with the engineering of that combination.

The narrowing of the detection field toward the bottom of the "cone" allows concentric coils to better separate targets closer to their depth limit.

Example

I know a junk ridden place that has desirable targets 6-7" deep.

With a 6" DD coil, it sees more area (more targets) at it's depth limits.  With a 6" concentric, it's pointy field at it's depth limit allows me to better isolate individual targets at that depth.

This requires extreme patience though.  Low, slow, and tons of overlapping sweeps or you'll miss a lot because of the "pointy detection field". 

I don't see DD or concentric coils as a replacement for one another, rather an additional detection method to use.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...