I Saw The 5000 Up Grade Test

Drellim

14 minutes ago, Elijah said:

it is interesting to hear real feedback from users of modified detectors, what is the real increase in depth on the target from 10 grams and above when using monocoils with a size of 15 inches? and of course, the stability of the device is in the first place. thanks to those who answered in advance

Its very subjective.....which model detector you are modding, what exact size/shape gold you're hearing, soil conditions, coil design and size.... On some test patch evaluations, (pre-drilled horizontal holes, targets inserted via wooden dowel) I've seen improvements from as little as 10%, right up to almost 50%. Once you get past the 20% mark using an earlier GPX and 18"+ mono coil sizes, you're well within 'flog a GPZ' range. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everyone so much seeing everyone discuss this and share is wonderful and I hope we are all learning something  sure rite about Woody  getting picked on years ago hell we are all a fickle bunch in this detector game   I think to answer  I have a ismal  modifided SD00 it blows my mind sometimes Now with my old 5000 which blew my mind and got a lot of dirt from you all AU guys  with my  14 inch deep Gram nugget I found  all I had was a battery pack and audio booster and the nugget finder 17 inch oval    That all then it seemed the removal of large bat  and less cables helped a lot may be less interference  but it hit hard maybe got a good one   It’s all so interesting these timings settings day detected ground type of gold all vary in so many ways it diabolical   Thanks for all the help        

Another simple cheap mod for the GPX series is this interference shield, it's cheap, acts as a protective cover keeping your GPX looking new and I genuinely believe has made a difference to my 4500 and 5000.

For the 50 Aussie buck price of it, even if it is a gimmick, it's a cheap enough protective cover, however... I really think it works and if this is the case it's a very cheap mod for some improvement in EMI handling.

emishield.thumb.jpg.ff5071054ae4a0d1835134a017003019.jpg

He's sold thousands of them with mostly good reviews so that says something I think.

12 minutes ago, goldenoldie said:

Wonder how long before he performs all the tests as he explained in this video using all three detectors with various coil combinations?

would like to see the Z with  17 CC  and 20 CC    X coils compared to the  Mod 5k  and 19 evo  for depth on some nuggies ....   owning all of them i know there`s a bit more to the ability of the Z regarding charcoal..

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

Another simple cheap mod for the GPX series is this interference shield, it's cheap, acts as a protective cover keeping your GPX looking new and I genuinely believe has made a difference to my 4500 and 500

Combine this with an EMI filter and change out the amplifier (which is very susceptible to emi) on the stock battery for a lithium battery with amplifier, and you can run much higher gain and much higher stabilizer = much more depth sensitivity

21 hours ago, Aureous said:

The GP Extreme-> GP3500 were all just modifications to the same board and the GPX4000-> GPX5000 were also all (almost) just modifications to the same board.But since the demise of the 5000, their outlook has certainly changed. I think Steve said that a lightened and modded version of the 5000 , sold C. US$2,000 would be a massive seller....so ML don't have to stretch budgets to create a worthwhile detector.The GPX series has already made its $$ (the 4500 is the record holder for the biggest selling PI in history) and doesn't need to recoup any development costs. Add sub-boards for Voltage front end gain, frequency change selector and some upgraded timings (all just code of course) and updated, superior components and voila! Most of the post-development hard work has already been by Woody, Ismael and Mick.

I remember when the SD2000 first came out & there were people tripping over each other getting one. That detector started a gold rush with the big deep gold it was finding, being able to punch through the mineralisation. Even using the mineralisation to get the depth. I remember the shock horror from people when only a few months later ML released the 2100. That caused un uproar from those that had just purchased the 2000. ML responded by saying that in future upgrades can be added to earlier models. How right they were, but of course they didn't do it to an existing owners earlier model detector. You had to buy the new one. Bit like ML promising to make a 10" coil for the Zed. That never happened either. They lied & said it couldn't be done. Funny how X coils came out with not only a 10" but also an 8" from what I have seen.

D4G 

2 hours ago, Redz said:

Combine this with an EMI filter and change out the amplifier (which is very susceptible to emi) on the stock battery for a lithium battery with amplifier, and you can run much higher gain and much higher stabilizer = much more depth sensitivity

Woody even made an EMI filter that I ran on my GP3000. I swear it worked as I detected in a high EMI area very close to a small town & cell phone tower & also suffered from solar influence on clear sunny days. The reason I say I swear it worked is that it quietened down my detector instantly & I found more gold. Can't ask for more than that despite being told by some ML disciples that it was just snake oil. The truth for me was in my results. Enough said.  I also did the ground balancing push button mod on the handle of my 3000. Surprise surprise, the same thing happened from ML on the release of 3500 & all other gpx's after that.

D4G

3 hours ago, Redz said:

I contacted them about the EMI filter during the height of my GPX 4500 annoyed with EMI days, and the filter is extremely popular in northern Australia due to the radio antennas up that way and that's what the filter does, filters radio waves out, even says so on their website, and the Navy Communication station in northern Western Australia is a big cause of that interference, biggest radio communication station in the Southern Hemisphere so this is where the EMI filter really benefits people.  He said for my needs of trying to deal with Power lines EMI it wouldn't overly help much but if any radio waves are in the area and adding to my EMI woes it will help a lot with that and was honest enough to say I probably wouldn't benefit enough to justify buying it.  I have done the lithium battery route to mine and like it.

I guess on later models like the 6000 and 7000 a similar type of radio wave filter is incorporated into the circuit as few have trouble like they did with the earlier GPX series.

Harold_E_Holt_Naval_Base.thumb.jpg.a0a395b01af0dc4e180fc91f04a34a9e.jpg

These filters have been designed for the current range of Minelab SD, GP and GPX series metal detectors. These filters have been designed and manufactured by Link Technologies in Victoria, Australia.

This filter is using the latest state of the art components to remove radio interference and improve the detection of gold. This filter greatly reduces or in most cases eliminates the warble from all radio wave sources of interference. These interference filters are designed to be used with mono type coils.

16 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Woody even made an EMI filter that I ran on my GP3000. I swear it worked as I detected in a high EMI area very close to a small town & cell phone tower & also suffered from solar influence on clear sunny days. The reason I say I swear it worked is that it quietened down my detector instantly & I found more gold.

That's really cool, I guess with cell phone towers emitting radio waves it helped with that, and nearby radio stations etc.  If I still used my older GPX enough I'd buy one but I'm happy enough with the EMI shield cover and for the worst of EMI the Coiltek AI 11" coil can run right under powerlines and remain stable and be very close to equal performance to the 11" DD Commander.  In saying that my GPX has become a coin/beach detector more than a gold detector, I've not even taken my 5000 on a gold hunt, I should do so.