Penny Farm Gets Its 2 Cents In

Got up Saturday morning, and found I didn't have a heck of a lot to do. 🤔 I decided to go detecting because it was going to be a nice day and there was a big storm coming, it's here now. We're going to get 3-5" of rain again. 😵

I went to a new permission I call the "Penny Farm" because the last time I was there I got a lot of wheats and one IHP. Got there late and was followed in by a truck full of hunters, they kept going out into the back field where I heard dogs all over the place. It was only slightly risky but I knew I'd be detecting in lower elevations so I should be ok.20231216_102052.thumb.jpg.11b8504ec0686c3e020ea796e6ca85f8.jpg

It might be kind of hard to tell but my truck, barely visible in the photo was about 60 feet above where I took this. The hunters got their deer and left about an hour later.

I turned on OnX Hunt tracking and hunted the turn zones of part of this farm for about 5 hours, ended up walking about 5 miles.

This place has been heavily cherry picked but the Deus 2 can easily find items on edge and pull stuff out of dense trash pretty well. I was using a modified General program due to how much moisture was in the soil, it was ground balancing at about 75 instead of the usual 82 or so. A good portion of this farm is also sticky red clay. It's not hard to dig when wet but it's heavy.

I relied on my theory that most detectorists that cherry pick have their "eyes on the prize", that the house site was hit hard but the field "turn zones" might have some interesting relics and coins. I wasn't disappointed, the first find was this:20231216_180716.thumb.jpg.82a4e69e41beada8b407959a6c26ecae.jpg20231216_180726.thumb.jpg.3f1a146a61505987de0d8b95983c3c51.jpg

A very old large button, domed with the shank still on it. I found one of these recently in another field but the shank was missing.

Not too much later in the same area where the farmer would be turning the livestock produced this:20231216_180538.thumb.jpg.bd43e01db1981cf12df20c86768a6e84.jpg20231216_180630.thumb.jpg.0e84a931e6704aa1f06d9a53c1ac0a5d.jpg

My second 1864 2 cent piece in a month! The last one was the first I'd ever found in almost 4 years of farm hunting. It made my day.

After hunting the turn area and crossing the field for the next 4 hours I didn't get much, I found one very trashy area and to my chagrin discovered a spot used for rifle target practice, it was loaded with bullets. I did go over the house site again and got a 1930 wheat and a couple of clad coins dropped much later after the house was gone.20231216_164826.thumb.jpg.0759925eed92171b77d4d4417ce20893.jpg

Trash was more than a handful but I felt it was a successful day all things considered. 20231216_181323.thumb.jpg.d28b854d34ea2b717956bd0320fcf893.jpg

• The title was changed to Penny Farm Gets Its 2 Cents In

Thats a great coin find & nice old button too.  I wish we would get some rain like that.

Try cleaning it up a bit more on the back and see if the 2 cent is small or large moto. Small moto have heavier letters.

Think most my 2 cents are 65's but believe I have a 64 too but its a large moto.

Great hunt again in your books at those permissions. Stay dry and good luck on your next hunt.

8 hours ago, JCR said:

Thats a great coin find & nice old button too.  I wish we would get some rain like that.

Thanks JCR.

I understand about the rain, but this time of year that much saturation will freeze overnight and then melt during the day, creating "heavy boot syndrome". 😀 The thin layer of mud accumulates on your shoes until they weigh so much you have to scrape some off. Kinda slows ya down. 🤣 I have to wait two days after a light rain, more after a heavy one. 😵

The 3"+ we got yesterday makes a total of about 9" over the last couple of weeks, we're lucky here because the soil absorbs it rather quickly, and the wind gusts to 40-50 mph today well help speed that up.

Heading to another place this week that I hope is far less cherry picked. 🙂

7 hours ago, kac said:

Try cleaning it up a bit more on the back and see if the 2 cent is small or large moto. Small moto have heavier letters.

Think most my 2 cents are 65's but believe I have a 64 too but its a large moto.

I'll probably do that, thanks! I'm pretty sure it's the standard version, I'll post a comparison in this thread. 👍

4 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunt again in your books at those permissions. Stay dry and good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks, the last few hunts I've been on have returned some interesting stuff but not without some effort and persistence. This was a "newer" farm, probably not ever part of a big plantation, so there aren't going to be hotspots with spectacular finds. I'll take what I can get! Glad to get one interesting thing, let alone two. 😀

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, sweet button and 2 cent piece, congrats and well done, F350! 

wow2.gif

Thanks, a meager presentation but cool stuff anyway 🤣