Somebody Lost Their Pick

For a number of years I have had the opportunity of detecting behind an operating gold mine. I get to detect the bedrock behind the excavator before they back fill, Anything under an ounce I get to keep and everything over an ounce I split with the owner each day. And yes, there were a few times I split gold with the owner. This particular day I got a loud signal and found a pick in a low depression of the bedrock shown in picture. It looked like maybe it had been a new one as the tips weren't worn down, but it had been in the ground water for a long time. The handle had totally rotted away or had been broken off as some of it was still in the pick. But judging by the looks of the pick that cold water had really worn the metal. How long ago the old timer's 1st worked this I don't know. It had to have been buried a long time to look like this on both sides. It is a neat conversation piece.

DSCN0151.JPG

pick1.jpg

pick.jpg

Allen, great pictures and cool story. You and I get to do the same kinds of detecting--quite the select experience checking the ground after the big equipment has finished working the bedrock, lots of fun to be had, and quite a few surprises too.

Glad to see you're still at it, and congratulations on your pick find--the way it's weathered, it looks like very old steel too.

All the best,

Lanny

On 12/28/2023 at 7:46 AM, Mike Furness said:

Andyy ... Did you ever lose one over in the Cleator AZ area on one of the Road Runner claims? I found a Bunk's Burro (I think it is called) pick, the smaller of his two sizes, over there a few years ago and gave it to one of my 'students' during a detector lesson.

I lost one on Bunk's and Frank's claim in Gold Basin.  He was all out of little ones and I had to buy a big one.

your post piqued my interest. Now I don't want you to feel your being picked on, but your much too picky about the picks you pick to pick up. So I took this pickture of the picks in my pick up that I have picked up by not being picky about which picks I pick to pick up.20240101_084420.thumb.jpg.a9ea8a125671573f31e337364c2b9696.jpg

Your pickture of picks made me bring this up.🥸 But I'm being picky !

Dirt Pirate Book of Rules:

#117b None of those picks should be used to pick your nose !

(An actual rule , the "guidelines" clause does not apply in this case.)

20 hours ago, klunker said:

your post piqued my interest. Now I don't want you to feel your being picked on, but your much too picky about the picks you pick to pick up. So I took this pickture of the picks in my pick up that I have picked up by not being picky about which picks I pick to pick up.

Klunker the Pic of your Picks is wrong side up...

strick