New Garrett Detector In 2024

40 minutes ago, abcoin said:

All that to say they might do well to come out with something in the $200 range with SMF and some other features.

They could just drop the price and perhaps do a feature refresh with a firmware update to minimize further investment in R&D and manufacturing line changes for the Apex consistent with the competition.  The next step would be to make it submersible but that would require more significant changes to the enclosure and headphone ports.  Probably not worth the trip, though, as they are just getting repeatedly lapped in the low price arena by ML and especially by Nokta with the SMF Score/Double Score. 

I guess what I was saying was at the time it was released it was price competitive for the feature set it offered up but it never quite made a big splash because its performance was just ok and has not aged well since because of everything else that Garrett's competitors have released.  And now it seems like Garrett shouldn't bother further trying to wedge itself in to that market segment unless they are going to offer some sort of ridiculous price point or simply cut Apex's price as I discussed above. 

But whatever this new Garrett offering is, it needs to make a big splash on the high end and offer something no one else is presently doing.

42 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It's probably something more ambitious

Yeah, what if Garrett is aiming at the ML 7000, I mean we are talking Texas!

Just imagine a satellite linked “ Texas Ranger 7500 “ with ground penetrating radar and a built in trackhoe for them core-deep treasures…

4 hours ago, HardPack said:

Yeah, what if Garrett is aiming at the ML 7000, I mean we are talking Texas!

What's a ML 7000?  Are you referring to the GPZ 7000?

Regardless, in jest you are actually making a good point.  Induction Balance detector technology has plateaued in terms of raw performance (depth, speed).  IDs are pretty good and stable (D2's IDs are amazingly stable in mild ground).  Perhaps there is room to improve with adaptable/learning technologies applied to target signal processing such that one of the hobby detector holy grails actually becomes consistently achievable...namely differentiating aluminum from gold targets (not talking prospecting here) or aggressive EMI cancellation.

Other than that, increases in raw performance need the application of a new detection method that is practical for field use in a manner detectorists are used to and at depths from which it is practical to actually recover targets without a backhoe.

At this point Garrett needs to shoot for the top and prove they're still in the game. Mid-priced and low end machines are a dime a dozen these days.

16 minutes ago, abenson said:

At this point Garrett needs to shoot for the top and prove they're still in the game. Mid-priced and low end machines are a dime a dozen these days.

100% agree. Maybe they've been taking their time using the White's tech/some new work of their own to create something top-of-the-line that gets everyone's attention. 

As Chase said, they need a big win. Badly.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Sorry Bill, my apologies, I don't watch many videos at all so I was taken by surprise in the few seconds I watched.  I'm sure I had bad swing technique often, especially as the day gets hot and I get lazy, its only if I find a good target my swing technique improves later in the day so I'm glad nobody follows me around with a camera 🙂

I've been thinking more about this new Garrett, they make a good quality build of detectors so that seems to come naturally to them, and the Apex demonstrated a modern design I prefer over the mobile phone pod style others are taking up.  I like the nice big screen, other detectors from some manufacturers are so difficult to navigate and complicated due to trying to cram too much onto a smaller limited display screen.  A design like the Apex with its large screen allows for easy configuration of settings so I hope they stick with this with their SMF especially if they're adding a lot of configuration options and not copy the others, a point of difference and if you rowed up a few machines and asked someone with no idea about metal detecting which is the most expensive out of a few SMF models, they may possibly pick the Apex as it just looks expensive with that design.

apex.jpg.e8314349abddee18199dc0713292ef7f.jpg

No problem, I know you didn't mean any offense.  I just wanted to put a lid on commentary about a YouTube deal before it got out of hand, that's all. 

As to the detector itself, I am with you on the Garrett screen being a much better design than all of the Equinox-based pods.  The Apex and Axiom screens are super easy to read and navigate, plus for me they are more intuitive.  My Legend menu structure makes my head hurt with all of the sub-menus.  Personally, even though my Apex really isn't a match for a Legend or Equinox or Deus II (except at a saltwater beach where it will hold its own against all 3 to a point), I still reach for it first just because I like using it.  It is light, well-balanced and has that great display.  Its expanded TID does help with nickels inland but in the trash it takes some work. 

If I were to guess, I would think that Garrett will use the AT moniker and apply it to a new top of the line detector to compete with the high end multi's.  I would agree with several posters that the Apex now is positioned at a weird price point due to the battle between Minelab and Nokta with their super inexpensive mid-range detectors.  Sort of like the Vanquish.  I don't know where Garrett will go with it but as we all know they do keep older detector models active for years as opposed to discontinuing them. 

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this post.

Bill

1.png

4 hours ago, DIG5050 said:

Hey Steve H, or anyone else for that matter, know if Garrett people ever visit this forum?

Of course they do, as well as representatives from the other detector and coil manufacturers. Representatives from Nokta, Fisher, XP, Coiltek, Detech, and Nugget Finder have all posted at one time or another. There are others. Garrett and Minelab watch but if they are members it’s incognito. I tried to get Garrett to actively participate but like Minelab they prefer to watch and listen as opposed to getting directly into the mix. Can’t say I blame them - us detectorists are like a nest of baby birds with endless appetites. :smile: If they say anything it will generally be via their own Facebook and YouTube channels.